Maybe

sorabji.com: Are you stupid?: Maybe
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By spunky on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 06:11 pm:

I want some help understanding this article:

Specifically, I read several times in this article that "The appeals court said that while drug checkpoints are illegal -- because motorists are stopped at random and without reasonable suspicion of committing a crime"

Uh, news to me.
    Missouri has sobriety check points and seat belt check points and hunting permit check points.

Are they illegal? They should be, as the judge said that it was being conducted without reasonable suspicion of committing a crime....

By patrick on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 06:32 pm:

beats me, but thats a bunch of ridiculous Ashcroftian bullshit.

By TBone on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 06:48 pm:

Hunting checkpoints - you only get stopped if you have a big animal on your car.
    Seat belt - if they can't see your belt through your window, they suspect you aren't wearing one.
    But sobriety checkpoints strike me as illegal.
    These are just guesses.
    Must be a state-by-state thing. I've never heard of any checkkpoints 'round here.
    They just gave cops permission to stop drivers if they see they aren't wearing a seatbelt in the last few years. Before that, the cop had to have some other reason to stop you.

By spunky on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 06:58 pm:

they don't go random out in MO.
    They build these things to block the roads, check EVERYONE'S DL, Reg and Ins card....

By Nate on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 07:18 pm:

is this news to you spunk?

specifically the fourth bullet point?

By spunky on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 07:23 pm:

of course not.

I am not talking about feds here, I am talking about a state.

check the 10th bullet.

By Antigone on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 07:26 pm:

From the article:

"The 10th Circuit agreed with his lawyers that checkpoints are illegal but ultimately ruled against him because there really weren't any checkpoints."

Wow. The police were checking for certain behaviors at a certain point in the road, but that's not a "checkpoint"? Amazing.

By Nate on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 07:33 pm:

spunk, the protections of the consitution supercede the powers of the state to make law.

By Hal on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 11:23 pm:

They have in city sobrity checkpoints once in a whlie. It depends on if something is going on or not. They have one about once every 3 months in Billings based on what kind of shows are going on at the Metra. I've only seen 2 so far in Missoula, they aren't really affective. They stop you, and then judge how tanked you are by talking to you for like 3 seconds. If they think your drunk, or drunk enough to tag you with a DUI then they ask you to step out.

Hunting Checkpoints happen, and they are a pain in the ass. But there is a reason for them, and they nail those out of state cocksuckers all the time. Doesn't really matter though, I still fucking hate the Montana State Highway Patrol.

By TBone on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 11:51 pm:

Hmm. I guess I always miss the checkpoints.
    The HP have never given me any trouble.

By ME on Friday, September 3, 2004 - 06:05 pm:

SO WHAT GET OVER IT

By Uhmmm on Saturday, September 4, 2004 - 10:34 pm:

When did they said about capturing bin Laden, but is it for real or just a another drunk rambling?or am I so stupid?

By semillama on Sunday, September 5, 2004 - 02:06 pm:

just trying to mobilzie the base.

I think that if they were REALLY sitting on Bin Laden, then they might have at least mentioned his name during the Elephant HATE fest last week.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact