mushroom cloud.

sorabji.com: Are you stupid?: mushroom cloud.
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By wisper on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 10:40 pm:

oh, great.

Big Blast, Mushroom Cloud Reported in N.Korea
    Sun Sep 12,12:54 AM ET

SEOUL (Reuters) - A huge explosion rocked North Korea (news - web sites) near the border with China three days ago, producing a mushroom cloud that sparked speculation Pyongyang might have tested an atomic weapon, Yonhap news agency reported on Sunday.

The South Korean agency said the blast on Thursday in Kimhyungjik county in Ryanggang province appeared much bigger than a train explosion that killed at least 170 people in April.

South Korean Unification Minister Chung Dong-young sought to play down an atomic link, telling South Korean reporters after a National Security Council meeting that Seoul's assessment so far was the explosion was unlikely to have been part of the communist North's nuclear arms ambitions.

"There are some foreign media reporting such possibilities, but we are judging at the moment the explosion is unrelated to such reports," Yonhap quoted him as saying. Chung chairs the National Security Council, which advises President Roh Moo-hyun.

There was no immediate reaction from neighboring China. In Washington, a U.S. official said it was unclear what had happened and there were various possible explanations. Tokyo took a similar line.

"We've heard the report, and we are checking the details, including what's in the report itself," said Japanese Foreign Ministry spokesman Akira Chiba.

Thursday was the 56th anniversary of North Korea's founding. The reclusive communist state often stages extravaganzas and big events to mark important anniversaries.

South Korean intelligence officials said they were monitoring the news, but declined detailed comment on the reports, which were based on "informed sources" in Beijing and in Seoul. Yonhap did not give a description of the blast site.

ACCIDENT OR TEST?

The reports surfaced as South Korea (news - web sites), Japan, China, Russia and the United States were seeking to persuade North Korea to return to the negotiating table to discuss its nuclear weapons ambitions. The North, which threatened at earlier talks to test an atomic bomb, has said it doubts more negotiations will help.

"There were rumors that the explosion was much bigger than the one at Ryongchon train station and the United States is showing a big interest as the blast was seen from satellites," Yonhap quoted an unnamed source in Beijing as saying.

The cause had yet to be determined but the source said Washington was not ruling out the possibility that the blast may be linked to a nuclear test.

China was the last country to set off an above-ground nuclear test, in 1980. It carried out its last nuclear test in 1996 and has since observed a self-imposed moratorium on testing.
    ----------

By Nate on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 12:51 am:

condi said it was a "forest fire"

you hear that spunk? that's your president speaking.

a forest fire with a mushroom cloud and a crater.

By semillama on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 09:55 am:

North Korea is saying it was part of a hydro-electric project.

Right next to one of their military bases, but that's just coincidence.

By Antigone on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 12:02 pm:

Fuck. If they exploded an open air nuke right next to one of their military bases they're fucking st00pid. Hopefully they'll kill themselves before they kill any of us.

By Rowlfe on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 05:23 pm:

Gee Bush, way to pull troops out of Korea

By semillama on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 07:00 pm:

By wisper on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 08:15 pm:

I think the greatest moment of "Jurassic Bark" isn't the dog part, but how Fry is so upset that he doesn't notice Leela and Amy sexy wrestling in the living room.
    And then later when the dog falls into the lava, Leela is still wearing the outfit and says "I'll get him!" and rips her top off. Still, he doesn't notice.

That and anything Mom says.

By semillama on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 09:45 am:

Yeah!

What about the mother's day episode, when Fry walks into the bed room where the Professor and Mom have just made love, and he says "There's nothing in here but a couple of elephant skin rugs"? I love that.

Plus anything Zoidberg says is classic.

By TBone on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 12:22 pm:

Crap Spackle!

On of my favorites: ( From The Devil's Hands are Idle Playthings )
    Leela: It's so beautiful!
    Fry: So's a peacock, but you don't eat it until it's cooked.

By TBone on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 12:30 pm:

Hey everyone! It's Zoidberg, the loveable tramp!

By semillama on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 01:16 pm:

I'm SOOO into you right now.

By Platypus on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 01:18 pm:

ahem

What is wrong with the world?

And god I love that show.

By dave. on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 01:30 pm:

well, having always wanted an international truck, i must say i have mixed feelings about those. they offend my sensibilities and yet, strangely, they cause my balls to feel mighty and potent.

By Antigone on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 01:43 pm:

I wonder if they have one of those with a hybrid engine.

By patrick on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 01:53 pm:

fucking lifesize Hot Wheels!

By semillama on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 02:44 pm:

Supposedly a real essay as part of a final exam in a high school english class.

If true, this person is my short duration personal saviour for the next ten minutes.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact