quite possibly

sorabji.com: Are you stupid?: quite possibly
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spiracle on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 03:41 pm:

because I cry EVERY WEEK while watching extreme home makeover..(I am crying right now at realizing I actually watch this show) i cry at weddings …my own as well…and at funerals (of people I hardly know)..i cry during stupid movies…I cry watching my pet fish get sick..(but when it dies I’m fine)..

Years ago, and I can’t pinpoint when, something snapped in me (hormones?!!) YOU GUYS DON’T KNOW HOW LUCKY YOU HAVE IT…you only cry when you get really drunk

By jinx on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 04:21 pm:

i went through a crazy cry-all-the-time phase

tv shows, movies (and the trailers), commercials.

ask sem, he'll tell you all about it

it has let up since then, I don't know why though

By wisper on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 06:09 pm:

I'm glad I'm not a crier. It seems so awkward.

But I've heard lots of people cry over that home makeover show, so you're not alone.

By jinx on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 06:13 pm:

i can't really cry in front of people. occasionally sem
    sees me, but mostly i just tell him about it.

By droopy on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 08:34 pm:

today at work i started playing around with all these paints, stains, and toxic chemicals that i thought would a good idea we had and proceeded to spill them all over myself. and i have to work out front with the shoppers.

not that there were that many. one woman from new zealand. the second in the three years i worked there.

when i splattered briwax on my shirt i went into the bathroom to try to wash it out with handsoap. which meant that i now had a wet, stained shirt. i didn't have another one, and nobody else was there, so i tried to come up with some way to dry it. i took it off and started swinging it around. when my arm got tired i put it in the microwave. now it was hot and wet. so i just put it back on and put on some fats waller.

By droopy on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 08:35 pm:

then after work i got a bottle of wine from my laotian connection.

By droopy on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 09:03 pm:

By who cares on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 11:27 pm:

By moonit on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 02:13 am:

I cry at all tv. I cry at ads. I'm too sensitive, or my imagination is WAY too active. Fucking empathy.

By Gee on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 08:58 am:

I cried at the new Star Wars.

I also cried on Tuesday night when Rob and Amber got married.

And last night, Ron and I were watching the season finale of 24. I sniffled, turned away, and said: "I have something in my eye."

however, unlike you, spiracle, I love it. it feels good to cry sometimes when you know you're not crying over your own life.

By spiracle on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 10:28 am:

yah..i still think it's hormones...

but a shift away from my own sadness and empathy with other's is definately a better direction to go..hmm..unless you get so obsessed with each and every little bit of wrong in the world...i listen to too much talk radio and read too much news i think..there should definately be a balance..i need to cut back..and thank god i don't have cable and watch a minumum of tv anyway..

By droopy on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 11:18 am:

sorry about the needless links. or posts. couldn't work my bookmark thing.

By eri on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 12:30 pm:

I cry occasionally at something on tv. But it isn't very often. I don't get obsessed with every little bit of wrong in the world, but I do get very angry about things I see. Frustrated at things going on in the world a lot.

I guess I am just glad that on those occasions when I do cry, that I am still able to feel enough to have stupid things bring emotion from me. Though more often than not I get angry or frustrated rather than cry.

That is a big change for me, cuz I used to cry at all kinds of silly little things, and then I just stopped crying. Now I get angry and upset and rarely cry, knowing that I am still looking for that balance myself.

By Rowlfe on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 05:57 pm:

my mom is the worst. everything makes her cry, even stuff like Mighty Joe Young.

I think I cried through around 3/4 of Hotel Rwanda

By jinx on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 06:09 pm:

i cry at the part in empire strikes back when, after
    leaving cloud city, the millenium falcon jumps into
    hyperspace and admiral piett is terrified, but Vader
    walks right past him so consumed he is with conflicted
    feelings about his son. it's almost like, there is the good
    that is still in him.

i cried like there was no tomorrow after big fish, but
    that had more to do with when i saw it than the movie
    itself.

By semillama on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 07:45 pm:

I cry at boobies.

By jinx on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 07:49 pm:

it's true

By Dougie on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 08:18 pm:

I've cried a couple times at Garrison Keillor's monologues during Prairie Home Companion (It's been a quiet week in Lake Wobegon, my hometime...) I guess because his stories always remind me of my grandfather and his homespun ways. I also cried during Pelle the Conqueror a couple of weeks ago (but that's not hard to do.) Very cathartic.

By droopy on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 10:17 pm:

Yo nunca lloro porque vivo en carnavales, me pongo la careta y me lanzo a la calle.

By eri on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 11:29 pm:

No room for crying tonight...though I probably should. A sick husband already asleep for hours, and a housefull of kids (the only way to avoid the party that could get Hayley humiliated for life was to have a slumber party of her own, luckily she has loyal friends who came), but a house full of 10-11 year olds nonetheless......I think I need another glass of wine!

By jinx on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 11:38 pm:

there is a poor sad kitty outside my door crying.

she needs the love.

i gave her some food and water. i'd let her in, but
    i don't know how that would go with cleo.

as it is, her sady kitty cries are freaking her out.

By eri on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 11:52 pm:

Just be careful. Last time we did that we ended up with 3 cats and tapework, and that was after we put the stray kitty back out. And a few months later the stray kitty gave birth on Spunky's new denim jacket.........trouble in pre-teen party land....gotta go!

By jinx on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 12:02 am:

i can't take in another kitty. i think this one will roam
    around until her person finds her. i have a feeling she's
    not a stray...but i could be wrong.

there is no way i can have two cats in this apartment,
    and even if I did, that would mean four cats this summer
    at sem's and no NO NO...i can't take that many cats, three
    is hard enough

By platypus on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 03:06 am:

Three is a magic number. Just enough for them to gang up on each other in seemingly random patterns. However, when they join forces to torture you, it's highly effective.

I am also finding that three is a magic number in terms of housing rejection. For some reason two cats are ok, but three would simply be going too far. I don't know what I'm going to do.

I am feeding my landlords' cats while they are gone, and I am a little bit confused. I thought they had three cats, two young adults and one very old cat. But I don't see the old one around, and she's usually all up in my grill when I'm feeding them. Upon thought, I realized I haven't seen her around in a couple of weeks, and I am wondering if she died and they just didn't tell me. Which would be sad. But would be good, because if not I've somehow managed to lose my landlords' cat in less than 24 hours. She was a very sweet cat.

The young adults, on the other hand, are holy terrors.

By Gee on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 09:27 am:

"all up in my grill"

heeheeheehohoheehee!!

sorry.

By TBone on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 10:19 am:

The neighbor's young cat is always peering in our windows. I think he likes our cat Blur. Blur, however, is not a fan of the neighbor cat.

My friends have 4 cats -- three skinny cats and one extremely fat cat. When I've fed them while the friends are out of town, it has always been very entertaining. The fat cat lets the three cats eat their fill, then goes to each bowl in turn, and empties it without chewing.

They have very distinct personalities. The Troublemaker, the Nervous One, the Lover, and the Fat One.

By eri on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 10:24 am:

I have 4 cats. They also have distinct personalities. The dapper gentleman, the snooty bitch, the loveable scaredycat, and the young punk.

By Daniel ssss on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 10:33 am:

I didn't want any other living breathing things, but a little kitty came my way, had been abandoned on my raod, took some soy milk I put out for her a year ago springtime, then disappeared for three month. I suspected she had been eaten or run over, or Ricky the raccoon had played too roughly with her, or she didn't like the taste of soy milk, so.

To my suprise last August she comes back a little heavier and healtier, as if she'd been vacationing at the neighbor's, but then she stayed and adopted me. I'd prefer a dog so I started calling her "Doggie" and the name stuck. After spaying and checking other parts she has become a regular part of the household managerie. Is at my feet right now sleeping in the sunshine. Her personalities are yet to be determined but she is liking being an indoor cat, answers to her name, can't type yet, loves the windows & open stairway. Only recently has she found a voice, and only rarely. If anything, she is a strong tracker, independent; when anyone else is around she disappears. She is a phantom.

By Daniel ssss on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 10:39 am:

And Ricky died in January or February this year. You may recall he was the raccoon who lived in my house in the woods when I bought it. He just simply curled up outside the lower kitchen door, with a smile on his face. Vet tells me it was distemper, not transferable to humans or his friend the cat referenced above. Doggie misses Ricky a great deal, and waits every night on the deck for the big striped friend to appear.

Oh, and I didn't cry even when I buried him, but I have been known to shed a tear quite easily. Even in session with my clients.

By patrick on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 01:03 pm:

lie platy. to prospective landlords, that is.

By Gee on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 04:10 pm:

"all up in my grill"

I just said that to somebody!!

sorry. I got a little excited. It's still funny!

By TBone on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 05:39 pm:

You were adopted by a stray cat named Doggie too? Weird.

By platypus on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 06:55 pm:

But Patrick my cats are all fat and all different colours. I could never pull it off. Especially because I'm looking at a lot of "cottages" (read: shacks) on people's property. If the landlords were absentee, I might be able to make it but if they live next door, I don't think I'm that slick.

God I want this house. It's awesome, it has a garden, it's in just the right part of town. I need this house. I'm so over this house hunting mayhem.

I'm delighted that that phrase brings you such joy, Gee.

By agatha on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 09:49 pm:

I have friends that live in Arcata, Platy. You should meet them.

By platypus on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 09:59 pm:

I agree.

By moonit on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 01:08 am:

The grey kitten over the road will not leave us alone. I have called him Murray and am trying to get my friend Paul to adopt him. He wants me to ask permission from the owners, but I say we just steal Murray and pretend we didnt. We wake up, Murray is asleep between us, we open the door, he rushes in and scarfs everyones food. He's very cute, but Bear and Molly and Ferg do not like him.

By jinx on Sunday, May 29, 2005 - 11:11 am:

the kitty keeps coming back to cry outside my door.
    i give him/her a little bit of food which s/he eats
    right away but does not touch the water. s/he has a
    collar of some kind now, but no tags.

Anya's speech in "The Body" (Buffy Season 5) makes me
    cry every time as does most of that episode.

By moonit on Sunday, May 29, 2005 - 02:54 pm:

Oh yeah, thats a total baller. And when Giles finds Jenny's body. That gets me every time.

By platypus on Monday, May 30, 2005 - 03:30 pm:

So Agatha, do you think that your friends know of any places to rent? I'm going to be homeless as of Wednesday so my housing related panic has stepped up rather a lot...

By Spider on Monday, May 30, 2005 - 04:36 pm:

My kids make me cry. One of them (whose parents are meth users) is under the belief that his parents sold his little brother for $10,000. He mentions this every once in a while, but matter-of-factly not provocatively. The other day one of his classmates was talking about her newborn baby brother and how cute and chubby he is, and he said his baby brother was chubby, too, and he missed him. I asked him why and he said, "My mom sold him...I wish I knew where he was."

And I thought, even if that's not true, this little boy honestly and truly believes his mother sold his baby brother, and that's heartbreaking. And I very nearly cried in front of him.

By wisper on Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 01:29 pm:

spider, what do you think actually happened to the kid?
    adopted? dead?

By Spider on Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 02:27 pm:

Probably adopted, if not officially then unofficially.

Another little boy often hits himself and picks at his skin...his mother died last year, and once he almost made me cry when he said he wanted to die so he could see his mother again.

And the amazing thing is, these kids suffer so much but they're so affectionate and sweet. When they misbehave, it's usually because they just can't settle down, not because they're being hostile (for the most part...there are some exceptions) or malicious.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact