In Moscow, Idaho...

sorabji.com: What does it look like where you are?: In Moscow, Idaho...
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Marisa Lynn on Tuesday, January 9, 2001 - 11:24 pm:

In the living room of my new apartment, The walls are white with posters (X Files, Star Trek IV, a watercolor painting of Björk I did, The Accolade, Midsummer Eve, a JW Waterhouse calender). There are two stereos on the top of a little bookshelf. The bookshelf holds philosophy, religion, art and spell books. Next to the shelves is a green plastic crate tipped sideways and filled with CD's. On top of the crate is a red and black shoe box filled with cassette tapes. The other bookshelf holds fiction books, DVD's, my sewing basket, Magic: The Gathering, Everway, D&D, some Cheapass Games, and my new camera. There is an old t.v. sitting on the floor with some old records leaning against it. The albums are by The Who, The Doors, Led Zepplin, etc. Joe Cocker, too. There is a large, light blue bean bag on the floor next to the second bookshelf. I am sitting on an old tan/brown couch. In front of me is a glass topped coffee table I bought for $55 at a furniture store that was going out of business in Spokane, WA. On top of the table are a bunch of my boyfriend's Warhammer 40K miniatures that he's put together but hasn't yet painted. Also, some super glue. Next to the miniatures is HAL, my boyfriend's laptop. I don't much like HAL, but my computer Noel isn't unpacked yet, so I work with what I can get. Under the table are a few small cardboard boxes, one filled with model paints, brushes, super glue, an exacto blade and various other stuff. On the hallway wall is a katana (a Japanese Samurai sword). It's my boyfriend's pride and joy. Other than that, there are a few large cardboard boxes holding Noel's components. My cranberry colored phone with a Strawberry Shortcake sticker on it is sitting on top, along with a black answering machine and a black phone book.

By semillama on Wednesday, January 10, 2001 - 08:38 am:

D&D?

Do you read Knights of the Dinner Table? You should. Actually, anyone who's gamed should. It's funny as hell, but I suspect that if you haven't played role-playing games before, one would miss a lot of the humor.

By cyst on Wednesday, January 10, 2001 - 04:02 pm:

I once drank a sampler of six locally brewed beers in moscow, idaho. it was in a tavern near a big sporting goods store.

it was extremely disingenuous of chavez (whose appointment I opposed before the scandal) to have claimed that the illegal immigrant hadn't essentially been serving as a live-in housekeeper and nanny. I mean, did she always have a paid caretaker for her children as well? I'm sure she did not.

of course chavez doesn't want there to be a minimum wage. she'd probably like to legalize indentured servitude of immigrants.

it's sad, though, that the political appointees who are blocked for this reason are always women. the male appointees usually also have housekeepers and nannies to whom they don't pay social security taxes, but they're their wives.

By semillama on Wednesday, January 10, 2001 - 04:09 pm:

Good point.

Just wait until George III, Emperor George VI, Czar George IX, Paul Atriedes Bush . . .

By cyst on Wednesday, January 10, 2001 - 04:44 pm:

I meant "for whom," not "to whom."

today I wrote a message with the subject line "a plea for righteousness."

By Tom on Wednesday, January 10, 2001 - 07:15 pm:

Moscow. Crazy. My roommate used to live there. that's all I've got to say 'bout that. New place, or did you just move to town?

By cyst on Wednesday, January 10, 2001 - 08:03 pm:

later on, in a little meeting on the same subject as my e-mail, I made the argument "but that's commerce -- this is art!"

now, at 5:06 p.m., I feel much differently.

By sarah on Thursday, January 11, 2001 - 02:55 pm:

my friend visited her family in moscow, idaho last summer and brought back for me a package of lentils and a package of split peas. they were yummy. moscow is the lentil capitol of the world. she also brought me back a bar of huckleberry soap.

By Marisa Lynn on Saturday, February 3, 2001 - 11:10 pm:

wow. I shoulda checked back sooner. I wasn't expecting anyone to reply. I feel so loved.

In a sense, I'm new in town, in another, I'm not. For the past five years I lived about 100 miles away in Grangeville, but I now am going to college in Moscow. I have disowned Grangeville completely (had to get an apartment so I could get a Moscow driver's license... *grin*).

Yes, I read KOD. It's funnier than hell. I also play MechWarrior (the RPG, not the video game). I would like to update that Noel my computer is now unpacked and is sitting on the floor where the phone used to be, the tv is now occupying a black tv stand, the bean bag is in the bedroom, and there is a new vacuum cleaner sitting where the bean bag was. In fact, I can supply pictures. http://www.geocities.com/lenka_gh/apartment_pictures.html Have fun exploring. I have very few friends (being the geeky role player that I am), so I have infinite time for updating my website...

And yes, Moscow is the home of the Lentil Festival; that's probably where your friends got the lentils.

I shall return...

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact