Kentucky is getting colder

sorabji.com: What does it look like where you are?: Kentucky is getting colder
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
S on Wednesday, October 3, 2001 - 02:17 pm:

I live in Kentucky, in a very small town called Frankfort. Funny though, Frankfort is the Capitol of Kentucky. Kentucky isn't like most people think. People aren't all that backwards here. Yes, there still are people who don't have running water in their houses and who don't wear shoes but that's in Eastern Kentucky. Actually that could be anywhere. Frankfort has a population of about 50,000 people, maybe less. We have two mcdonald's restaurants, one on the east side, one on the west. One Wal-Mart! Frankfort has a lot of boring and nosy people. Don't ever visit here. You'll be highly disappointed.

By J on Wednesday, October 3, 2001 - 03:09 pm:

I'm from West Virginia,I know what you mean,it was a big deal when my mom's parents got indoor plumbing.

By semillama on Wednesday, October 3, 2001 - 03:35 pm:

I went through KY this summer and there was NO Ale-8 to be found anywhere I stopped. Please explain.

By Pamela on Wednesday, October 3, 2001 - 05:36 pm:

I was thinking about moving to Virginia in a couple years or so, but I've never been there. Can anyone tell me what it's like and if it's worth living there?

I'm going out there next September for vacation to check it out and maybe do some house hunting.

By patrick on Wednesday, October 3, 2001 - 05:57 pm:

depends on where.

rural Virginia is pretty fuckin weird. They have really bizarre accents. As in Twin Peaks weird. Richmond is an ok med-size city. Arlington and the DC metro area is ok too.

By Pamela on Wednesday, October 3, 2001 - 11:39 pm:

I was thinking Fredericksburg, VA...

By patrick on Thursday, October 4, 2001 - 11:34 am:

do you like banjos?

By Pamela on Thursday, October 4, 2001 - 12:16 pm:

no...

By Spider on Thursday, October 4, 2001 - 12:18 pm:

Ooh, Fredericksburg. It's very pretty there.

My aunt and uncle were thinking of relocating there a few years ago because there are lots of Victorian homes in disrepair that sell for cheap so that people can renovate them.

The town is very quaint and well kept up. Lots of antique stores. I hope you like the Civil War, because it's a big deal.

It's a pretty small town, but it's about an hour and a half south of DC. Gas is very cheap. (IIRC, in January when I was there, gas was $1.50-ish in my county in Maryland, $1.70-ish in DC, and $1.20-ish in Fredericksburg.)

By Spider on Thursday, October 4, 2001 - 12:20 pm:

PS. The Northern Virginia accent is my favorite American accent. It's very light and musical.

By Spider on Thursday, October 4, 2001 - 12:24 pm:

Correction: Fredericksburg is about an hour south of DC. Not that it matters. Here's a map.

By patrick on Thursday, October 4, 2001 - 12:30 pm:

do you like banjos spider?

By The Watcher on Thursday, October 4, 2001 - 12:47 pm:

In my opinion The Virginia drivers are the worst in the area.

But, at least Virginia has an active two party system of government. In Maryland it's Democrats then everybody else.

By Dougie on Thursday, October 4, 2001 - 12:54 pm:

"Kentucky" by the Everly Brothers. Could there be a more beautiful song?

Covington rocks for cheap booze.

I used to camp a lot in Kentucky when I was a kid. It's a beautiful state.

By semillama on Thursday, October 4, 2001 - 02:24 pm:

ALE-8. ANSWER ME, DAMMIT.

By Spiral on Thursday, October 4, 2001 - 02:45 pm:

I never been to any part of the midwest really... but if it's anything like today up here, then it must be cold. I could be a pansy, but I think that I would love to just hide in a mountain of blankets with hot chocolate and a book.

By moonit on Friday, October 5, 2001 - 06:28 am:

What the hell is Ale-8?

By S on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 09:13 am:

You should be able to find Ale-8 at alot of places in Kentucky. Maybe try Wal-Mart, Kroger, Pic-Pac, etc. Some smaller country stores out in the middle of nowhere tend to carry it too. There is a little community not far from me called Stamping Ground that has an Ale-8 One machine.

By semillama on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 12:22 pm:

Damn. I stopped at three gas stations and none of them had it. I was worried.

When I was down in SC, I found a gas station that had NEHI GRAPE and NEHI ORANGE in bottles! What a blast from the past!

By J on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 12:46 pm:

I use to live right on the border of Kentucky,had alot of friends from Lexington,back in the day we use to put peanuts in our coke-a-cola,we called it dope.

By S on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 10:39 am:

oh really?
    We used to put coke in our peanuts and call it epod.....but whatever floats your yacht......or sinks your taob.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact