Ale-8 One Is...........

sorabji.com: What does it look like where you are?: Ale-8 One Is...........
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
S on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 09:18 am:

Ale-8 One is a beverage somewhat like Sprite or 7 Up that is made only in Kentucky. I believe that Bill Clinton was a big fan of it and would order it by the case frequently. Also, numerous other famous people. Ale-8 One typically comes in a glass bottle but I have seen it in cans and, oh wow, 12 packs! Ale-8 ONe can be obtained almost anywhere in Kentucky. Kroger, Wal-Mart, Pic-Pac, Lots and Lots of drink machines are dedicated to it. In fact there are several drink machines in Frankfort, Ky that have Ale-8 One. Email me for specifics

By Dougie on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 09:31 am:

I miss Vernor's Ginger Ale. Can't get it out here.

By Czarina on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 12:13 pm:

Me,too.I stock pile it,when I make a trip home.Nothing quite like Vernor's when you're sick.
    I stock pile Squirt,too.Can't get that here,either.

But we do have drive thru bars,here.Thats some consolation.

By semillama on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 12:24 pm:

Ale-8-One, as it was described to me by Devil Will, is the perfect soda. Tastes a bit like a ginger ale with citrus overtones, and lots of caffiene. WE drank it by the case that one time I worked in KY.

By J on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 12:50 pm:

Squirt,my s/o loves that,I use to live on diet pepsi,I don't drink coffee or soda anymore.After the letter I got from blood services I guess I might have to give up the booze too.

By Czarina on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 12:54 pm:

Wheres the humanity?

By Mavis on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 02:16 pm:

i'm glad other people miss vernor's. that was my number one reason for leaving the west coast....

By trace on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 02:49 pm:

Hi Mavis

By The Watcher on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 04:34 pm:

I miss Tru-Ade.

A non-carbinated soft drink. It disappeared from here several years ago.

Last year it was supposedly trying to make a come back here. But, I couldn't find it anywhere.

I'm glad Squirt did come back here. I was told it was the only thing my paternal grandmother would drink.

I also wish I could find caffeen free Dr. Pepper. My wife and I both like it. But, to get it I have to drive 80 mile round trip. Then I can only get it in two liter bottles. I stock up about once a month.

By Dougie on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 05:34 pm:

Trace, ain't your wife gonna be a little jealous tonight when you get home?

Trace: "Hi honey, I'm home"
    Eri: "So who's this Mavis you're saying hi to?"
    Trace: "Oh, she's just a friend from sorabji.com."
    Eri: "So why did you single her out and say hi to her, and nobody else who appeared out the blue recently?"
    Trace: "No reason, she's just one of the posters who doesn't ream me every time I post."
    Eri: "Are you sure you're not meeting her on the side?"
    Trace: "I'm sure snugglemuffins. Now come here and give me a kiss."
    Eri: "Ok, poopyface."

By semillama on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 05:37 pm:

I have similar troubles with Mr. Pibb, I can only find it in cans and none of the BBQ joints here realize that the perfect complement to a rack of ribs, even better than beer (which tells you how serious I am about this), is a huge glass of Mr. Pibb.

By Dougie on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 05:43 pm:

Jeez, they still make Mr. Pibb? I thought that died out with Tab. My grandfather still talks about the "elixir that was Moxie." He misses it. My grandmother said it tasted like cough medicine.

By Nate on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 06:08 pm:

mr. pibb is the official prune-drink of mcdonalds. at least, around here.

By Dougie on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 06:12 pm:

Prune juice definitely works, a little too well. I bought some out of curiosity a couple weeks ago and had a couple of glasses (the stuff tastes real good). Mistake.

By Nate on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 06:13 pm:

wow. try prune juice/hot damn!/vodka/imodium AD.

By Dougie on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 06:22 pm:

Your system'd be so fucked up it wouldn't know whether it was coming or going.

Damn, I'm excited -- my s/o's going to make cod fritters tonight. She gets that bacalao (sp?) stuff (cod that's been salted to death), boils it a couple of times to get the salt out, puts it in a blender and mixes it with some sort of batter and fries them. She makes a hot sauce with cilantro & chopped jalapenos and tomatoes and vinegar and some other stuff to put on top of the fritters. Then she makes mufungo (sp?) which is a Puerto Rican dish made with mashed plantains and garlic. That's some fine eatin', baby.

By patrick on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 06:27 pm:

im going to some fruffy benefit/auction fasion charity event for the folks in DC and NYC.

i didnt really wanna go, but the mrs pressed the matter.

does my ass look fat in these slacks?

By Nate on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 07:38 pm:

that sounds fucking good, dougie. i'd dig the recipie if it is available to the public.

By Dougie on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 09:58 am:

I'll get you the recipe for the cod fritters -- I think it was from a Food & Wine recipe by Jacques Pepin. I didn't watch her make it last night, but I don't think it's too involved.

Mufungo is pretty easy:
    3 green plantains
    A couple of cloves of garlic
    Bacon
    Olive Oil

Cut the plantains into 1" pieces. Fry in the olive oil for about 5 minutes -- don't let them get a burnt crust though. Cook the bacon in another pan. Mince the garlic, and with a potato masher, mash the plantains and garlic together. Crumble up the bacon and stir in.

For the salsa for the cod, just food process jalapenos, tomatoes (without seeds -- keeps down the liquid), cilantro, vinegar and/or lemon or lime juice, salt, pepper, a tiny bit of sugar, onions or shallots, and whatever else suits your fancy.

By S on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 10:45 am:

Kentucky doesn't have Ruby Red Squirt, the only place we can find it is in Iowa.
    I hate Mr. Pibb.
    I like extremely sweet tea, preferably Lipton's
    Mountain Dew
    Coca-Cola and Pepsi, oh yea V-8 juice with salt or tomato juice with salt
    yummy

By Eri on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 11:01 am:

Mr. Pibb and Ruby Red Squirt are available in all of the fine grocery stores in the Greater Kansas City Area.

Dougie, funny. Fortunately for me my husband doesn't have enough time to mess around on me. I don't worry about him. Besides, all of my slutty friends are ugly or obese or both. He knows he gets better at home. He just doesn't get it that often. Hope you don't mind if I call him snugglemuffins now. I like that one.

By droop on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 11:27 am:

i've got a recipe book with "monfongo con caldo" in it. it's basically the same thing as dougie's recipe except it has chicken broth (caldo) and "pork cracklins" in it. i always see plantains at the store and mean to buy some just to try them out.

last saturday i bought jicama. when i was at the check-out counter, nobody knew what it was. and they were all latinas. the girl asked: "you know what this is called?" and i said "jicama." she looked on some list but couldn't find it. i have a feeling she was looking under "h", but i didn't say anything. she asked another girl at the next counter and she didn't know either, so they just gave it to me. which was just as well, because when i got home and cut into it it was patchy brown inside and fibrous and dry.

they also sell lots of mexican soft drinks - things like mango-cola in brightly colored bottles. there's and ad for one brand on that seems to me to be exactly the kind of obnoxious portrayal of mexican culture that they are fighting against. but it makes the drink look fun.

By S on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 11:55 am:

Yea, that's a good reason to drink something........it looks fun.
    There are cheap Mexican drinks at the store Save A Lot in Frankfort. Their called something like Mexicana Latina Burrito.......I dunno.
    Just joking....i dont know the name i just know they sell them. Maybe ill try em sometime.
    has anyone ever heard of MOUNTAIN HOLLER? it's a rip off of mountain dew.

By Dougie on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 12:11 pm:

Actually, droopy, the caldo probably helps -- the stuff can be a bit dry.

By droopy on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 12:24 pm:

i was thinking that myself - like putting milk or broth in mashed taters. but who was i to argue with su novia?

By Dougie on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 12:34 pm:

I'll lightly make the suggestion next time she makes it. "Why don't we try a little chicken stock in it this time, sweetheart?"

By J on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 02:33 pm:

It sounds good.I've been drinking Chrystal Light Raspberry Ice in the a.m.,you know what I drink at night.When we first moved out here,a little boy named Joe Hernandez use to walk me home from school and pick me lemons,I wasn't use to spanish and for some reason called him Joe Heranderson. I don't know what made me think of that.

By Jimmy Lee on Friday, March 5, 2004 - 01:53 pm:

Try Ale 8 and wiskey ( JIM BEAM ) its great they call it a Kentucky Speical around these parts

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact