Big

sorabji.com: What does it look like where you are?: Big
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spider on Tuesday, February 5, 2002 - 03:28 pm:

I got a new monitor for my office.

It's big.

12" x 18" screen.

Whoa.

By droopy on Tuesday, February 5, 2002 - 04:21 pm:

my monitor has 17" in larger letters on the border and 15" viewable in small letters underneath.

when i look out the 6' by 3' window, 2½ feet to my right, i can see that it's snowing. there's a light accumulation of it on the grass, the dumpster, and on my car. it'll all be gone by thursday.

By semillama on Tuesday, February 5, 2002 - 04:40 pm:

I saw dolphins in the ocean while standing on
    the porch this afternoon.

What else could you want?

By Nate on Tuesday, February 5, 2002 - 05:12 pm:

i have a 21" monitor.

3 floor to ceiling windows.

a view of pine trees and parking lot and busy road and planes taking off.

By Dougie on Tuesday, February 5, 2002 - 05:46 pm:

Yeah, 21" is the way to go if you're sitting in front of the computer all day. Can't wait til the price comes down on flat panels that size. Current monitor's a behemoth.

My view at work? I have none. I'm in the basement, shielded concrete because of the radiation. Can't believe I gave up my view of Columbus Avenue and Fordham and if I craned my neck out the window, Lincoln Center, at my past job to sit in a basement room with radioactive signs and the noise of server fans and doctors being paged all day.

My view at home? Apartment complex on one side, with nice crabapple trees in the courtyard which are beautiful in spring, and houses and a heavily used shortcut street on the other side.

By pez on Tuesday, February 5, 2002 - 10:18 pm:

i can't see any windows if i'm working inside my department. and i hardly use the computer because the only person i really get email from is my boss. whom i'm normally working with.

i havve two floor to ceiling windows in my room, one facing south, the other north. i usually keep the shades down because it keeps the room from getting too drafty.

i went to bed at 6 pm last night and woke up again at 10 (i'm sick) thinking that there was a car chase going on, but my roomies were playing driver.

By Neutroxide on Tuesday, February 5, 2002 - 10:35 pm:

pez - i'm sick too. droopy - snow will be gone by thursday here aswell... or so say the news reports. i'm hoping they're very wrong.

my room is small, white, and angular. any time i'm in the house i'm in here (computer)... 17" monitor with a shit refreshrate; across the room from it's a nice rectangular window that's right above my bed. it overlooks the shitty town-house patio we have.

the snow makes it look better.

By Spider on Wednesday, February 6, 2002 - 08:36 am:

Hmph. Well, I had been using a 9" x 12.5" screen, so this is an improvement.

This monster is making me nauseated. I can't imagine what a bigger screen would be like.

I don't have a window. I have a view of a little sliver of hallway. I have learned to distinguish the pattern of footsteps of all my coworkers.

I like my office, though.

By Nate on Wednesday, February 6, 2002 - 11:39 am:

monitors are typically measured on the diag.

i would guess your 12x18 screen is a 21" monitor.

By Nate on Wednesday, February 6, 2002 - 11:42 am:

monitors are typically measured on the diag.

i would guess your 12x18 screen is a 21" monitor.

By Spider on Wednesday, February 6, 2002 - 11:49 am:

Yes.

Well, I measured, and it's more like 20".

Whatever.

By patrick on Wednesday, February 6, 2002 - 12:22 pm:

the size they sell it on and the viewable size are two different things.

By sarah on Wednesday, February 6, 2002 - 01:11 pm:

21" on the Dell, 17" on the G3.

4.5' x 5' window in my new office facing southwest. new furniture, that i got to pick out.

the district paid for me to spend the last two days in a "learning relational databases" seminar, which took place in a hotel just a few minutes from my apartment.

kevin got a job. finally. today is his first day. he's working for a very cool ad/marketing agency whose clients are exclusively environmental and health agencies and non-profit organizations. they got the Don't Mess With Texas anti-littering campaign; kevin and i and our friends have talked fondly of the spots we've seen on TV and previews at the movie theaters long before kevin got the job. they're a creative bunch at that agency.

and it's a karmic conspiracy to make him a liberal.

By droopy on Wednesday, February 6, 2002 - 01:23 pm:

my favorite was "don't mess with texas or we'll shoot you dead" with jenna bush.

By Nate on Wednesday, February 6, 2002 - 03:57 pm:

the square root of 12 squared plus 18 squared is not 20.

don't fucking lie to us, spider.

By Cat on Wednesday, February 6, 2002 - 04:14 pm:

I have no snows.

I can see gum trees from my home office. And sometimes wallabies.

I don't know how big my monitor is because I don't have room in my brain for that kind of stuff.

By sarah on Wednesday, February 6, 2002 - 04:39 pm:

have you seen the one where there's this stoic looking middle aged woman standing in the foreground of a vast texas plain and the guy walks by, tosses his softdrink in the woman's face, and throws the paper cup on the ground and keeps walking... then the voiceover says, "if Texas were your mother, would you still litter?"

By droopy on Wednesday, February 6, 2002 - 05:06 pm:

heh, no i haven't seen that. i'll have to start watching more tv. the only ones i remember are from a long time ago - the fabulous thunderbirds doing a reworked version of "tough enough," for example.

By sarah on Wednesday, February 6, 2002 - 08:46 pm:

well, i don't recommend watching more tv, but sometimes you can catch that bit as a movie preview.

hey, i'm going to dallas this weekend, to visit k's sister who goes to college up there, and his mom, who is flying down for the weekend from indiana.

do you have any things you think i ought to see or do up there?

By Spider on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 08:22 am:

Nate, you're so cute when you get all Pythagorean on us.

I measured my curved screen with a straight ruler, so I allow that my figure was a little off.

By droopy on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 12:47 pm:

i dunno, sarah. there's always the deep ellum district.

By The Watcher on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 06:03 pm:

Row upon row of beatup government issued cubicles is what I see.

Eventually we'll get moved to another building so they can start renovating this one. When that's done we'll get prettier, smaller, and less private government issued cubicals. I'd rather keep my sence of privacy thank you.

Cat, can you send me a wallaby. My wife says she wants one. But, I don't think the cats would like it.

By Neutroxide on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 11:23 pm:

deep ellum's boring unless you're going for a specific thing, ex. bands, et cetera.

dallas is dead, particularly the cities surrounding it (i'm in one).

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact