What's on your computer desktop?

sorabji.com: What does it look like where you are?: What's on your computer desktop?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spider on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 04:01 pm:

Mine has this picture. I set the background color to match the background of the image, so that the little guy is floating in blue.

What's on your desktop?

By patrick on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 04:24 pm:

black now.

but recently i had this William Mortenson image on it

By Gee on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 07:08 pm:

I love explodingdog!!

today I read all of the thin h line that I missed since it stopped being thin h line, and a comic called Nowhere Girl, which was sad but nice.

I have a picture of a doggie that looks like Winnie the Pooh on my desktop. :) SO CUTE!

By moonit on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 07:30 pm:

I have a picture of Vin Diesel from his new movie Knockaround Guys.

Lusting after movie stars is just so stress free.

By Spider on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 08:27 am:

Isn't explodingdog the best? I love the cartoons with the despairing people....I love how their arms are in the air and their heads are tilted back. Example It's so dramatic and cute.

By Nate on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 09:21 am:

By kazoo on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 09:23 am:

me and my llama

I love explodingdog

By Platypus on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 10:10 am:

By J on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 10:27 am:

I have a really cute picture of Orion on mine,Ryan did it for me.

By Dougie on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 06:49 pm:

I had a nice shot from a Cape Cod beach overlooking the ocean on my PC at work, but forgot to take it with me when I left. On my PC's at home, just the royal blue Windows background. Pretty exciting stuff.

By semillama on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 12:24 pm:

I swear the guy on the left in Platypus' picture was sitting across the aisle from me on the airplane last night.

By Platypus on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 04:31 pm:

I'm sorry.

Skull and all? Because that would be a little freaky. I see a lot of people like her wandering the streets here muttering to themselves. Deinstitutionalization was a very bad idea.

By patrick on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 04:54 pm:

guy on left? i thought that was a girl on the left in her pic.

there is one particular goth chick that roams Hollywood Blvd. Some days she's completely insane. Other times she's more subdue. She often smiles wickedly at me. Ive seen her walk right into the middle of traffic and scream at cars. She always wears black...sometimes she paints her face white with the black eyeliner and lipstick.

usually shes muttering to herself as well.

Hey, tell me something.....anyone...are Volvo's becoming the ultimate hipster family car of choice where you live? Platy? Dave? Agatha? Spider? Sem? kazoo? Whats it like where you guys are at? I swear to god every hipster family in my hood has now purchased a used Volvo.

On my walk home from the bus stop one day, a stop about a mile from my house that allows me to take a leisurely walk, i counted 23 Volvos either parked or passing by. In one mile!!!!!

I suppose the safety and economy appeal to indie sensibilities.

By trace on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 04:59 pm:

#2 family car of choice for San Antonio:

Brown van that does not get inspected at border

#1 family car of choice for San Antonio
    Ford Execution 4WD or Dodge Ramitupyourass Darango

By Platypus on Saturday, October 19, 2002 - 02:16 am:

Man, I had a great response. And then it died.

There are a lot of volvos round these parts. The thirty somethings, the ones not driving suvs, seem to be driving volvos. I'll keep my eye open, now that I think of it. I'll start stalking hipsters to see what they drive.

However, there are waaaay more suvs here, which is funny, since this is Berkeley. Well, ok, Oakland, where I live, is mostly old cadillacs and chevys, big boat like cars being driven by...well, insert obvious stereotype here. But over in Berkeley, land of work, there are many many suvs. Too many.

Funny, that.

I saw the new mini cooper today. Pretty ugly in real life. Sad. I also noticed a wierd car--it's a taxi, designed by Ford, and it's fuel cell, but methanol fuel cell, or something. Anyway, I want to check it out and see what the deal was. It was some kind of prototype pilot program.

By trace on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 05:11 pm:

By trace on Friday, January 3, 2003 - 11:16 pm:

By Nate on Saturday, January 4, 2003 - 12:01 am:

By Nate on Saturday, January 4, 2003 - 12:02 am:

my laptop and my db server both have explodingdog images.

By trace on Saturday, January 4, 2003 - 12:11 am:

are you in NY?

By wisper on Monday, January 6, 2003 - 06:35 pm:

my desktop is the white cat eating eggs from that Kikkoman commercial patrick shared with us. I made 4 background images from that movie ;)

i also found the english version, which only raises further questions.

By Nate on Monday, January 6, 2003 - 08:49 pm:

no i am not in NY.

i'm in dallas. (and if i had some spare time, i'd be calling antigone.)

but my creek is behind my house in california.

By dave. on Tuesday, January 7, 2003 - 12:17 am:

By patrick on Tuesday, January 7, 2003 - 11:48 am:

who are those people dave?

By heather on Tuesday, January 7, 2003 - 01:27 pm:

i HATE "non work related" sites!!

GRR!!!

By agatha on Tuesday, January 7, 2003 - 06:30 pm:

i can't believe you don't know, patrick.

By patrick on Tuesday, January 7, 2003 - 06:40 pm:

you wanna help me out?

By patrick on Tuesday, January 7, 2003 - 06:45 pm:

and if thats you two and cleo in the corner....you have to realize that last pics i saw of you were years old....on your old site and i dont think ive ever seen a clear pic of dave.

further if its you...i can't believe how long your hair is....

but its probably not you. its probably an image from some movie ive tauted as my favorite and the copious amounts of pot resin on my brain are preventing me from recalling as such.

By Nate on Tuesday, January 7, 2003 - 11:35 pm:

christ, patty.

By agatha on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 12:01 am:

FIRE
    WALK
    WITH
    ME.

By Spider on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 10:16 am:

I can't see Dave's picture either -- his website triggers the adult filter on my work machine. What scene from Fire Walk With Me is it?

By Spider on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 10:18 am:

By patrick on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 11:54 am:

ive never watched that show, twin peaks is it?

fucking tv babies.

By Spider on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 12:24 pm:

Fire Walk With Me is a movie, fucking TV snob.

By Spider on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 12:30 pm:

(That sounded harsher than I intended it to -- I was just following parallel structure!)

By patrick on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 12:59 pm:

based on a tv series? or is it the other way around.

eitherway i didnt see the movie.

so i get the leper treatment for not seeing a particular movie apparently rated as a must see by you dorks.

dont be such a pussy spider, you can get harsh with me.

By Spider on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 01:37 pm:

It's not a must-see.

If you actually watched the freaking TV show for yourself before ragging on it, you would see how obsess-able it is.

By patrick on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 01:43 pm:

i havent ragged the tv show. just the response at not knowing who or what the fuckign pic was related to sister.

By Spider on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 01:50 pm:

What's it a picture of? I can't see it.

By TBone on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 01:52 pm:

Spider, my desktop at work was lame, so I stole your idea and used the floating-in-blue picture. But I had to fix it because the window he's looking out of was a little bit clipped.

It makes me happy.

By Nate on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 01:54 pm:

blacklodge

By patrick on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 01:54 pm:

dave's desktop has a pic of characters of the movie...apparently...and i asked who they were. you can see by the "fucking christ" or " i can't believe you don't know" responses that im out of some sort of loop. some sort of tv baby loop.

By TBone on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 02:14 pm:

I have no idea who those people are either... Nor have I ever heard of whoever movie they are from.

I tend to get that a lot these days. My friends give me that you've-just-grown-antlers look when I ask what the shit they're talking about when they go off on one of their rants with the assumption that everyone alive watches these shows or sees commercials or whatever.

By Spider on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 02:24 pm:

TBone, I tried to fix that picture, too! I just have MS Paint on my system, so I didn't get far before I gave up.

So...Dave's got a picture of the Black Lodge? What do the people look like? There were no little girls that could be mistaken for Cleo in Twin Peaks.

This show was on the air around 1991, so there's not exactly a loop for you fellows to be out of.

By Tbone on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 02:45 pm:

By Nate on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 03:04 pm:

tbone, you're from montana. you're alright out of the loop. patty, on the other hand, is bong hitting, artsy-fartsy, lots of gays in my neighborhood, angelino and should probably have seen all david lynch movies by now.

By agatha on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 06:41 pm:

that's what i was thinking. i don't think being surprised that you didn't know what it was could possibly be construed as giving the leper treatment, you overly defensive big babyhead.

By patrick on Wednesday, January 8, 2003 - 06:54 pm:

im actually an overly defensive big baby white liar. i think i saw it way back when but it left no impression me.

if i had a guess....id say bong loads neutralized any intended brilliance of the film....so i might as well not have seen it. the image certainly rang no bells.

and actually seeing as Lynch is a Missoula native, tbone shouldnt be let off the hook.

Actually i have seen most of his full-length features, Lynch's, not tbones.

By patrick on Thursday, January 9, 2003 - 11:55 am:

nate, spider gimme your damn mailing addresses.....i swear i wont ask for them again.

agatha, dave did you get a mail from me? i cant remember if i sent you one or not.

By Patrick on Thursday, January 9, 2003 - 11:55 am:

email of course

By Spider on Thursday, January 9, 2003 - 12:19 pm:

Done.

By Spider on Thursday, January 9, 2003 - 12:34 pm:

I didn't know Lynch was from Missoula. I used to have a .wav of Leland Palmer saying, "You're going back to Missoula...MONTANA!" as my Exit Windows sound on my computer.

By TBone on Thursday, January 9, 2003 - 04:07 pm:

Wow.

Just about everyone over a certain age in this town is someone who left then came back when they met the rest of the world.

Won't stop me from leaving, though. I'll probably be back.

By Spider on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 11:06 am:

Following the borrowing trend, this morning I changed my desktop to display this picture. Two cow-orker comments so far, both in the "who is that scary man?" vein.

By Spider on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 11:07 am:

Aw, nuts.

By Nate on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 01:23 pm:

i changed mine to this picture i took when i was playing hooky. hiking in big basin park.

By Pretzeluv on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 05:15 pm:

My computer desktop has a gorgoeus picture
    of Brian Jones....he looks sooooo beautiful in
    it. His blonde hair falls over his creamy face
    like a pile of pancakes with yummy maple
    syrup. He was sooooo pretty..... <boo hiss>
    By the way does anyone know anything about
    a movie tittled "Down and Out
    with the Dolls?"
    I don't know if it's a documentary or just a
    fictitious account of the
    troubles of an all girl band, but I'm curious to
    see it since I am in an band myself and I boy i
    do know what a pain it can be.
    I think the movie's supposed to come out
    sometime next year, I
    hear that Lemmy from Motorhead and Coyote
    Shivers are in it, I'd
    like to see those two paired!.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact