What it looks like where I'll be in January

sorabji.com: What does it look like where you are?: What it looks like where I'll be in January
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By semillama on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 12:01 pm:

So, my mom is renting a house in San Miguel de Allende(sp?) for ~2 months this winter, and Kazoo and I are going to spend about 2 weeks visiting her in January. I can't even remember the last time I took a real 2 week vacation.

We are going to spend a couple days in Mexico City, and I am a little concerned about thermal inversions and what that does for pollution. But, I am really excited to see sites such as Teotihuacan and Templo Mayor and the art museums and the Museo Nacional de Anthropologia, which is one of the best of its kind in the world. (I just picked up the Lonely Planet guide to Mexico City - full of interesting information)

San Miguel looks pretty cool-it's a little arts community in the Mexican Highlands, lots of expatriate bohemian types from Europe and America. Plus hot springs. plus, I'm going to be in birdwatcher heaven - a whole new country!

more as it develops.

By semillama on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 12:05 pm:

By patrick on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 12:27 pm:

ayeeeeeeeee!!!

By semillama on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 12:43 pm:

exactly. plus there is a cyber cafe with a 256k connection. so we'll keep you guys posted while we are there.

By heather on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 01:33 pm:

nice

By wisper on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 01:45 pm:

that's some sweet pics, sem!

question for people who live in the states nearest Mexico: do you ever go to mexico? a lot? why or why not? Is it a place to go just on a whim, or is it a big deal?
    What's it like?

I'm asking because we just got King of the Hill Season 1 on dvd (woo-hoo!) and there's an episode about Bobby's class going on a field trip to mexico, and it seems to be a big deal for the kids. So i wondered why it was such a big deal, since they live in Texas and could go to mexico anytime they wanted.......?

By heather on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 01:58 pm:

i lived in detroit and going to canada was a big
    deal.

it's like that in a sense, which is to say that it's
    fun to go somewhere else, even if it's not
    terribly different from where you are.

i could see mexico as being even cooler
    though because it's looked at as a place with
    different rules. and frogs made into purses.

By Antigone on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 01:59 pm:

King of the Hill is set in North Texas.

Texas be big.

BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG.

It takes as longer to drive from El Paso to Texarkana than it does to go from Texarkana to Chicago. (812 miles vs. 791 miles)

So, we may be attached to Mexico by a border, but that border is far away from us here in the north.

By heather on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 02:01 pm:

that's insane

and to think i never considered driving to texas
    from chicago, and it was only a state-length
    away.

By wisper on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 02:12 pm:

hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

By sarah on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 02:14 pm:

sem - y'all are going to have so much fun! when exactly are you heading down there? i would worry about pollution too, but not too much. i worry more about the 3 cigarettes i smoked last night.

i've been to mexico, but not since i've lived in texas. i've not been south of san antonio nor north of dalls.

By patrick on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 02:18 pm:

we've been here 6 years and never been to mexico.

it would be about a 3 hour + drive.

don't know why, other than easily overcome irrationale about language, logistics and such.

id almost rather plant a trip to baja, via plane, rent a condo for a week than take a trip to TJ and get ripped a new asshole with tourist trap shit.

By semillama on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 03:56 pm:

we're going the first part of January. When it's nice and cold up here.

By J on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 01:55 am:

Going to Mexico is not that big a deal you can go to border towns easy,the deeper you go,the harder it is.

By Antigone on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 02:50 am:

It's kinda like your ass.

By eri on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 12:21 pm:

I went down to baja for vacations before. My aunt had a condo on Rosarito Beach out there. The language barriers are rather easy to get thru. I was too young to get involved in the night life (I just couldn't pass for 18, looked too young). I loved horse riding along the beaches. The shopping was interesting. Just don't get food from the roadside stands....it's worse than drinking the water, trust me on this one :)

By spunky on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 04:07 pm:

Here is what it looks like where we are.

By Antigone on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 04:13 pm:

Gimme some of that. We need some fuckin' RAIN.

By patrick on Tuesday, July 15, 2003 - 04:22 pm:

it looks like this today.

It looked like that yesterday. It will look like that tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day and the next day.

On top of 95 degree heat. And thats in the basin. In the valleys its hitting the 105 mark.

By J on Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 02:28 pm:

It was 116 yesterday,the overnight low was 97,do I live in hell or what? All the cool places in the state are on fire or were burnt.San Diego is looking good to me.It's hot like this where our troops are,and they have to wear all those clothes.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact