polling places

sorabji.com: What does it look like where you are?: polling places
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By semillama on Tuesday, November 2, 2004 - 05:49 pm:

How did it look where you voted, if you voted today?

Me, I voted in a middle school. Lots of kids exhorting the folks in line to vote for Kerry. I arrived at 7:45 to a line with at least 50 people in it and waited an hour and a half to vote. The length of the line had not changed in the hour and a half I spent in it.

How about where everyone else is?

By Sye on Tuesday, November 2, 2004 - 06:04 pm:

I am sooooo waiting until the last minute. Luckily, I am party polling with 3 other people, so we get to stand around, waiting, freezing our buns off, together.

By RC on Tuesday, November 2, 2004 - 06:42 pm:

Long lines -- but they moved fast. I pulled into the Elementary school parking lot @2:30 & was finished voting by 3:40. HUGE turnout. Overheard other voters saying thay had arrived at 8 or 9am & the line was literallry out the door, so they left & came back.

LOTS OF YOUNG FOLKS! They laughed at P.Diddy & his gangster 'Vote Or Die' campaign -- but it worked! All those rock stars & movie stars telling folks to get out & vote WORKED! In all my life, I can never remember seeing so many 20-somethings lined up to vote on Election Day. Very cool.

I always feel good after voting, but today I felt esp. energized. I think Kerry's gonna win -- hopefully by a sizable margin.

But when I called my Mom, she advised me that Florida is up to it's usual tricks. She heard about one woman who said that after selecting the full Democratic ticket on the touch screen, all her votes suddenly changed to Republican candidates. She tried to change each one back but they wouldn't budge. Luckily, she knew better than to press the Cast Your Vote button.

She demanded a lawyer & one was on site. The lawyer had the Elections officials check the machine &, lo & behold, there was a 'glitch'. The offending computer was removed from the premesis.

But who knows how many votes the 'glitch' may have changed before someone caught it?

Still, I'm glad to see such a magnificent turnout. I heard on the radio on my way to the polls that in 2000, Maryland had 280,000 registered voters on the books. As of yesterday, that number had swelled to 3,000,000!!

Maybe there really is hope for this country yet.

- RC

By Platypus on Tuesday, November 2, 2004 - 06:50 pm:

I voted at St. Michael's and All Angels church--a lot of churches were pressed into service. I remember when I was a kid and the polling place was in my house, that was sweet. The church is actually pretty nice, lots of Victorian stained glass and what have you.

I voted fairly early, so there weren't a lot of folks--by the time the 90 year old lady with the poll list had found my name, several booths had opened up. Here we have optical scan systems, so it's like filling out a scantron test. You also don't get a receipt for your ballot. Good times. Everyone there was older, although as the day has worn on I've seen more and more young folks out voting.

And arguing. The streets are seething with political arguments.

We had a long ballot in California so it took awhile to fill the whole thing out. Lots of interesting props.

According to the early news reports, turnout is huge. I'm really amazed by all the waits you guys have been reporting, and I'm also amazed that people have been willing to wait three hours to vote, that's awesome.

In a few hours I suppose we shall start seeing the results--I'm having a little follow the results party which starts in a little while. Storm brewing over the ocean, which will hopefully hold off until the polls close...

By jack on Tuesday, November 2, 2004 - 06:52 pm:

some woman caused a scene at my polling place and dismantled one of the machines. she had apparently given the workers a name that was on the rolls and they were checking identification, so i guess they'll find her and charge her with vandalism (at least) unless she stole the ID. strange scene. she started yelling and ran out after she was accosted. it's not clear whether she was really crazy or just acting crazy.

i showed up a bit later, after the police and news cameras (all the networks) showed up.

the machine she wrecked was for a district other than mine in my ward...so the lines were long for that district..but not for mine, although turnout was very good.

By RC on Tuesday, November 2, 2004 - 06:54 pm:

Hey -- was anybody asked to show I.D. at the polls? Is that legal in your state?

I wasn't asked, but it is legal for them to ask you for I.D. here in Maryland if you don't have your voter registration card with you. However, I heard on the radio earlier today that in Ohio, where it is NOT legal to make voters show id, cops were hassling van-loads of Native American voters on their way to the polls & asking the ones who made it there for I.D. So I guess we can expect more election-related lawsuits in Ohio starting tomorrow.

- RC

By Platypus on Tuesday, November 2, 2004 - 07:13 pm:

Ohio is also allowing challenges to voters, which sounds like a recipe for a lawsuit to me. I was hoping we could settle this amicably, too.

RC, I don't know if it's legal in California or not--I didn't get asked for ID and I don't have a voter registration card (they never mailed it to me). I do think it's a little wierd that you don't have to identify yourself at all. You could totally memorize another name and vote again.

There was a bit of a brouhaha at our polling place when someone asked for a receipt, too. He ending up just being mumbly and leaving, and I was kind of disappointed he didn't make more of a stink. I know I'm not the only one who's not so cool with not getting a receipt for my ballot.

By semillama on Tuesday, November 2, 2004 - 07:27 pm:

I wasn't aware there were vanloads of Native Americans in Ohio!

One of my co workers lives in an African American neighborhood, so I am keen to hear what she has to say about her polling place tomorrow morning.

By kazu on Tuesday, November 2, 2004 - 07:47 pm:

We had to show ID, but if you didn't have ID
    you could fill out another form. And there were
    lots of options for the kind of ID you can show.

I voted at a local school. School was cancelled
    for the day. I waited an hour and a half, which
    isn't bad. Mostly 20-something to 30 and 40
    something middle class white crowd, a few African
    Americans and a few older people. There were
    several people who weren't on the "books" because
    of how many people registered last month. They
    just went to another desk and I'm not sure how
    they resolved that since it didn't affect me.

When I left there was virtually no line. I was part
    of the pre-work crowed. There was no backup
    at the computers, the movement between check
    in and booth was smooth. I made friends with
    some folks around me. It was funny, people were
    talking about voting, but no one was really talking
    about who they were voting for.

It was Diebold, no reciept voting which sucks, but
    I knew it was coming. People were confused as to
    where their vote was counted, either in the computer
    or on the keycard but otherwise there weren't any
    problems.

By patrick on Tuesday, November 2, 2004 - 08:10 pm:

we had the typical punchcard type devices, only you didnt punch a hole in the elongated index score card , but rather a spot of ink was left by the device you used to use to punch a hole.

i checked, once i removed the card, to see to it the right god damn number was inked, and it was.

By Platypus on Tuesday, November 2, 2004 - 08:11 pm:

Woah, Patrick, that's wierd.

We had paper and ink ballots too but you filled in the bubbles.

By patrick on Tuesday, November 2, 2004 - 08:45 pm:

well, you filled in the bubbles, so to speak but not by eye. it was the same device you would use to punch holes...you know the spirial type book with the holes down the spine, you turn the page etc etc.

at first i was looking at the 'pen' or puncher thingy and wondering how it was going to fit in the allocated holes then i touched the endpoint and realized it was ink.

By Platypus on Tuesday, November 2, 2004 - 09:01 pm:

Well, go Kentucky and Ohio. Not only did they vote Bush, they also banned same sex marriage. Glad to know someone's out there fighting for what's right.

By Dodi on Tuesday, November 2, 2004 - 09:26 pm:

YES!!! IT LOOKS LIKE BUSH IS GOING TO WIN!!!!

By wisper on Tuesday, November 2, 2004 - 09:52 pm:

I'd just like to let you all know that Rowlfe is curled up on the couch sleeping, all tuckered out from worrying about this damn election all week.
    He wanted to stay up all night and watch the results come in.

Awwww, it's like he's waiting for Santa.

You DONT have to show I.D. in some places??
    That's scary.

By Rowlfe on Tuesday, November 2, 2004 - 10:08 pm:

IM AWAKE GODDAMMIT!!!

By jack on Tuesday, November 2, 2004 - 11:55 pm:

hey RC:

"I heard on the radio on my way to the polls that in 2000, Maryland had 280,000 registered voters on the books. As of yesterday, that number had swelled to 3,000,000!!"

that's got to be a typo: you mean 2.8 million (2,800,000) in 2000, right?

i thought, from these boards, that you were in sarasota. you're in maryland now?

By Dodi on Wednesday, November 3, 2004 - 02:16 am:

GO BUSH!!

By semillama on Wednesday, November 3, 2004 - 09:54 am:

it's looking like shenanigans to me in Florida. The numbers are pretty wildly off from the exit polls.

I hate to say this, but Right wing america's hatred of gays and their desire to keep them second-class citizens is what made the difference for Bush. IF bush wins, it's because they stuck things like Ohio's Issue 1 on the ballot to mobilize their base of haters.

We're so fucked. here comes the oil drills, here comes endless war. Goodbye land of the free, home of the brave.

By Gee on Wednesday, November 3, 2004 - 10:39 am:

Sorry, guys. it's not looking good for you.

and I guess, a little bit, for us.

By semillama on Wednesday, November 3, 2004 - 11:35 am:

from a posting on democratic underground:
    Think hard about this.

"(1) All exit polls had Kerry ahead in in FL and OH.

(2) All Democrats were completely confident, based (I'm sure) on internal polls. Kennedy said Kerry won. He was sure. So was the DNC chair, who referred to Kerry as president-elect.

(3) Canadian TV (CTV) said it will be an early landslide (their word) for Kerry. They had inside information.

(4) Exit polls have always been correct -- until they pulled FLorida away from Gore, and Bush took power by force. Since then no exit poll has ever been any good. Coincidence?

(5) In the midterm elections, the VERY SAME thing happened as tonight. Polls nationwide favored Democrats, and then the GOP won every state -- and the exit polls vanished!!! Pollsters had never been so wrong. IT WAS THE FIRST TIME MACHINES WERE USED.

(6) We all know who owns the Diabold (Diabolical) voting machines. And it ain't the Democrats.

(5) Every historical predictor pointed to a Kerry victory: the large turnout, Bush's approval ratings, the economy, and the fact that he consistently polled under 50 or even 48%. No president had ever won with such low numbers.

And then magically everything reversed itself and Bush wins. Do you guys believe this is for real?"

something is definitely fishy. very fishy.

By patrick on Wednesday, November 3, 2004 - 12:48 pm:

come on sem, not so fast.

face it.

the general populus of this country are assholes.

look at allll the election results nationwide. all the propositions, all the gains made in the Congress by the right.

Its disgusting. People are sheep. People are scared. People suck.

Lets not try and litigate crumbs here.

best birthday ever! 4 more years of the fundamentalist idiot, daughter screamed going to day care ripping my heart from the door all the way to work, said goodbye to my roaring 20s. not that that means anything but its something to get all squishy about for whatever reason.

this train wreck of an election is what it is. Democrats had it in hand and blew it. Abu Ghraib? Gitmo? Halliburton? 380 tons of Explosives? DOOD! if you cant get your man in office in light of those fucking criminal mishaps by the incumbant, you're fucking retarded!

Perhaps i should go squeeze some tears and get this shit over with.

fuck dodi. fuck nichole. fuckitall

By Kazu on Wednesday, November 3, 2004 - 12:57 pm:

even if people are sheep, there is plenty to
    be suspicious about. plenty.

fuck the sheeple. fuck the democrats. fuck the
    media. fuck anyone who didn't vote. fuck the
    republicans who can back this facist criminal.

FUCK FUCK FUCK

nothign good can happen today

By Platypus on Wednesday, November 3, 2004 - 01:07 pm:

Well, here goes the end of our world as we know it.

I'm reading mixed reports--I've seen a couple saying that Kerry ceded to Bush, others that he is still fighting.

I *knew* this was going to happen, I just knew it. Something fishy is certainly afoot, but I don't know if we're going to find out what it was. Ohio, certainly, is obviously in trouble.

What troubles me is that given current info, Bush won the popular vote.

What is wrong with Americans?

I so want a big bowl of something hot and steamy.

By patrick on Wednesday, November 3, 2004 - 01:12 pm:

big bowl of hot fuck?

fuck dodi. fuck nichole. fuckitall.

By Platypus on Wednesday, November 3, 2004 - 01:20 pm:

The hot fuck is being smeared all over our faces.

By Dodi on Wednesday, November 3, 2004 - 01:22 pm:

Platypus, is it you that has ass cancer..or is it moonit....too bad, so sad, so basically, you both got fucked.

By patrick on Wednesday, November 3, 2004 - 01:29 pm:

stop turning me on already platy

By Platypus on Wednesday, November 3, 2004 - 01:30 pm:

Also, really interesting exit poll from CNN. Read through it, some of the stuff, especially about church attendance, is really quite...well, it's interesting.

I'm just so annoyed that something is afoot and we don't know what it is, and we probably never will. However, it wasn't 17% of 18-29 year olds who turned out, actually. They comprised 17% of the people who voted. I'm having trouble finding statistics dealing with percentage of elibible population. And I would really be interested in seeing them.

By kazu on Wednesday, November 3, 2004 - 01:31 pm:

I want to know about the elibible population to0

who do they tend to vote for ;)

By Dodi on Wednesday, November 3, 2004 - 01:32 pm:

GO BUSH!!!!

By moonit on Wednesday, November 3, 2004 - 01:36 pm:

Dodi, neither of us has 'ass cancer'.

What are you talking about?

By Dodi on Wednesday, November 3, 2004 - 01:37 pm:

GO BUSH!! Oh, I should just stop, cause we all know, HE WON!!!

YIPPYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!

I'm wishing you all a fabulous Bush day!

By TBone on Wednesday, November 3, 2004 - 03:22 pm:

We had a scantron type machine, and got to feed it into the counter ourselves. Fun. I was voter #61 on that machine.

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, November 3, 2004 - 03:35 pm:

tip to left leaning Americans for next time: vol. 1

move to swing states, theres nothing to be gained by sticking around Austin

By Platypus on Wednesday, November 3, 2004 - 04:10 pm:

Rowlfe, actually, a lot of people did, or registered to vote absentee in those states. I also know a number of people who travelled to swing states to get out the vote. (I would have but I can't afford it right now.)

The issue is that the right mobilizes in mass numbers, as seen in this election, especially when other issues (such as gay marriage) are on the ballot.

I think that it's easy for people outside this country to tell us how this election could have or should have gone, but from the inside it's a little bit different. It's a big country, and there are a lot of people in it who have opinions which are polar opposites.

I'm more concerned about voter fraud and intimidation right now than the apathetic left, and I'm interested to hear reports from the international monitors, who apparently saw nothing amiss, since you'd expect it to be fairly smattered across the news right now.

By Nate on Thursday, November 4, 2004 - 05:23 pm:

" Black Box Voting (.ORG) is conducting the largest Freedom of Information action in history. At 8:30 p.m. Election Night, Black Box Voting blanketed the U.S. with the first in a series of public records requests, to obtain internal computer logs and other documents from 3,000 individual counties and townships. Networks called the election before anyone bothered to perform even the most rudimentary audit."

goodnight democracy. the only question now is fight or flee?

By TBone on Thursday, November 4, 2004 - 06:28 pm:

This country approaches voting like it's a quaint bit of entertainment, not to be taken seriously. I want out.

By RC on Friday, November 5, 2004 - 03:44 pm:

Jack -- sorry. It was 2,800,000 in 2000 with an uptick to 3,000,000 for Tuesday's election.

Fat lot of good it did.

And I was living in Sarasota until Sept. Then I moved to Balto. My Mom's here too now.

But really, guys -- please, help me sort this thing out. Because I really don't believe this exit poll, "We voted our moral values" crap. In the middle of a war that is bankrupting the nation, with unemployment on the rise, no new jobs being created (outside of shit-wage service jobs), decent-paying jobs being out-sourced to foreign countries, I don't believe that "moral values" were the top issue on the minds of Christians. If they were, they couldn't have convinced themselves to vote for a liar & deceiver like Bush.

Issues like our young people dying in a phony war for oil & the widening gap between the rich & the poor qualify as "moral issues" -- how come THOSE issues weren't on the front burner for all these so-called religious conservatives? Stem cell research was a non-issue -- the REAL question was why none of these 'sanctity of life' liars have shit to say about all the extra embryos being created by fertility doctors EVERY DAY that end up being destroyed once some infertile couple manages to get their healthy baby or twins. No one gives a rat's ass about destryoing those so-called new lives. And neither Bush nor Kerry EVER discussed why provisions aren't being made to allow couples to donate those frozen embyros for stem cell research -- because they were BOTH scared of offending the Right-To-Lifers by showing what hypocrites they are on that particular 'moral issue'! When it's their asses that are infertile, all talk of what is 'natural' & 'as God intended' goes right out the fucking window -- they relegate that for their anti-gay diatribes. And they conveniently shut their minds to what becomes of all those 'extra' embryos they gladly let the doctors create.

BUSH SAID ON 10/26 THAT HE DISAGREED WITH THE REPUBLICAN PARTY ON DENYING GAYS THE LEGAL RIGHTS MARRIAGE CONFERS & THAT HE SUPPORTED LETTING THE STATES APPROVE CIVIL UNIONS.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/26/politics/campaign/26gay.html?oref=login

So all these co-called conservative Christians who were so indignant at the thought of gays being allowed to marry were FULL OF SHIT if they still supported Bush -- HE FLIP-FLOPPED! But his final position was the RIGHT one -- marriage as a religious sacrament is diffrerent from marriage as a social contract. And there's no sane reason not to allows gays to protect their familis & their rights by forming civil unions to guarantee those rights. We allow them to adopt kids (in most states) & do everything else straight couples do.

Referendums gave several states the chance to dispose of the gay marriage issue completely separate from their pick for Presidnet. So WTF happened? That can't have been the issue that caused all these mofos to vote for Bush -- he proved to be more liberal than his 'conservative' base!

Then what was it? Really?

- RC

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact