Sunsets and dull knives

sorabji.com: What does it look like where you are?: Sunsets and dull knives
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spider on Sunday, June 25, 2006 - 07:05 pm:

I have to share these.

One
    Two
    Three
    Four
    Five
    Six
    Seven

Yesterday was a very full day. We left at 10 am and drove to Crow to watch the re-enactment of the Battle of the Little Bighorn -- this particular re-enactment (out of maybe 3 or 4 that take place this weekend) is special in that it's run on the Real Bird family's land on the Crow reservation and the people running it and leading it are Crow and they give you a brief but pretty thorough (Plains) tribal history before they take you up to 1876 (kinda glossing over the part where the Crow were the cavalry's scouts and allies during the battle, but that's okay). I'll post pictures when I have them -- it was pretty gnarly (first word that came to mind).

Then we went to Hardin, about 20 miles away and went to the Big Horn County Historical Museum, which I had been to in May with my fourth grade class' field trip. This museum records mostly white history in the Hardin area -- it's cool because the buildings have been carted have been carted to that central area from all over the county, and it has old farm equipment and trains and a couple of stagecoaches that used to run to Deadwood, SD (where Calamity Jane and Wild Bill Hickock are buried). Included on the lot is a church built by Volga Germans -- this is neat to me because my grandmother's father's people were Volga Germans (ethnic Germans living in Russia), only they settled in Iowa.

Then we went back to Crow for the rodeo. This was great because we got to watch bareback races, calf roping, calf wrestling (which is fun), and bucking horse riding. The PBR in Billings a couple months ago had only bull riding, which is pretty cool, but I like a bit of variety in my rodeo. (Whatever -- yesterday's was the second one I've ever been to). One of my roommates worked with the high school kids this year and some of her students were in the competitions, which was neat.

And then! We drove almost home and went to Colstrip, a nearby town, to join the tail-end of their town festival and watched FIREWORKS. This was so exciting! I haven't been to a professional fireworks display in years, so I don't know if this is new technology or what, but have you seen the kind that burst into golden palm trees and then linger in the air, burning slowly to the ground like dozens of glittering shooting stars? Yeah, those are awesome.

Pictures forthcoming.

By sarah on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 04:17 pm:

big sky.

how did you find this gig? does it pay or is it strictly volunteer? what are your accommodations like?

do you ever get homesick?

By Spider on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 05:49 pm:

I'm volunteering with the Jesuit Volunteer Corps, so I get a personal stipend of $80/month and live with a community of other volunteers, so we get $60/month per person for food and community expenses. Simplicity is one of the values we're supposed to be living out, so...yeah, we don't have a lot of money.

But we live in this huge pre-fab house that was built to house priests, so it's very spacious. My bedroom is enormous (probably 16' x 18'), there are four bathrooms, a giant living room, big kitchen, we've got satellite TV (but no network stations), etc. Five of us live in a house that could easily shelter eight, if not more. Pretty nice accommodations.

I infrequently get homesick, and that's usually because community living gets to me once in a while -- I don't miss Pennsylvania (only bookstores and a bigger library and Trader Joe's and Whole Foods), but I do miss my family, especially since my mom's been sick this year.

By Spider on Tuesday, July 4, 2006 - 10:54 am:

Sorry for the bad quality -- the first two were taken with a disposable camera:

Rodeo

Re-enactment

And I couldn't resist: One of our students eating an orange on the playground

This weekend I went to Rocky Mountain National Park outside of Denver, Colorado -- it just might be more beautiful than Glacier. Oh, it hurts to say that...maybe it's not true. But, man, there's nothing like driving along the side of a 12,000+ foot mountain, with no railing. AND Glacier doesn't have tundra.

That was my favorite part: walking across the tundra and climbing onto the rocks on the top of the mountain, while a thunderstorm approached.

Pictures (good quality, this time) forthcoming.

By Spider on Wednesday, July 5, 2006 - 12:29 am:

By platypus on Wednesday, July 5, 2006 - 01:50 am:

It's almost silly how beautiful those images are. It feels a little bit fake, like a set, that nothing could be that amazing and still be real.

By Spider on Wednesday, July 5, 2006 - 10:32 am:

My roommate lived outside the park for several summers working for a local theatre, and she said that seeing those mountains made her believe in God.

The pictures don't do them justice.

By Spider on Wednesday, July 5, 2006 - 10:47 am:

By Spider on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 03:19 pm:

These pictures make me want to cry.

To cheer myself up, I'm going to share something
    embarrassing.

So...this past year, I had a student, J. 10 years old, very
    smart, sweet, funny, extraordinarly well-mannered,
    and still a typical boy who'd roughhouse with the others
    whenever he got the chance. And he was very, very cute.
    Basically, if I were 10, I'd have been in love and built a
    shrine.

This past week I watched "Supernatural" on the WB for
    the first time, and OH, the torment this show has caused
    me.

The lead actor, Jensen Ackles, is so, so, so pretty, with a
    smile that...ohhhh...and I normally don't go in for pretty
    men, either, but in his case, the exception has been made.
    He also looks exactly (like, EXACTLY, down to the cleft in
    the chin) like my student J., except that J., being half Crow,
    has black hair. Other than that, they have the same face,
    one at 10 years old, one at 28.

Do you see where I'm heading with this? I am primed to
    swoon over the one, but I can't because the other gets
    mixed in there, and it makes me feel dirty! Oh, sure, I
    could just not watch the show (and don't you tell me
    it's appallingly cheesy), but don't you see? I'm like a
    raccoon lured into a trap by a shiny object. I *could*
    just let go, but...it's so...shiny...

*sigh*

By Dr Pepper on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 03:28 pm:

Spider, I liked places far away from population(civilization).

By jack on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 03:38 pm:

is it possible that you are primed to swoon over the one precisely because the other gets mixed in?

By Spider on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 05:02 pm:

After reflection, I don't think so. I mean, the man really is hot (exhibit a).

By eri on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 06:06 pm:

I used to watch Jensen Ackles when he was on Days of Our Lives. I loved watching him on the show but got all bitchy at the tv.....he can't hook up with HER, I mean, he's cute and sweet, and she's a money grubbing whore!!!!!

So I used to yell at the tv while watching Jensen Ackles (hehe).

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact