not Thursday...not at my house

sorabji.com: Have you ever gone hungry?: not Thursday...not at my house
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By patrick on Wednesday, November 22, 2000 - 12:20 pm:

so here's what we are preparing for turkey day. Small dinner for 4-6 peeps.....

spinach and pinenut dressing salad
    wine consomme
    burgundy glazed carrots
    pinenut rice pilaf
    green beans and sweet onions
    beef burgundy
    coq au vin
    honey topped dinner rolls

we salivated over the cookbooks last night...nico scored a bunch of old 50s and 60s cookbooks for dinner parties in an antiquarian bookshop. the text is fucking hilarious, its so June Cleaver....

What are YOU cooking, if anything at all????

By semillama on Wednesday, November 22, 2000 - 12:31 pm:

I ain't cooking, but what I will be eating should include

free-range turkey
    succotash
    sweet potatoes with almond-crust topping
    stuffing
    rolls
    whipped potatoes
    wine
    more wine
    pie of some sort.

We are having dinner with our crazy friends, who are like the real life griswolds, except if Roseanne Barr was the wife in the movies.

Then friday will be my second big dinner, a potluck housewarming for my firends with
    A bird
    Beer
    beer
    beer
    other stuff
    beer

then saturday, dinner with my dad.

Over the years, Thanksgiving has slowly spread itself out for me from one day to three.

By Trace on Wednesday, November 22, 2000 - 12:47 pm:

I have two to go to, both in the same day. We are going to my granparents first, in Redfield, KS, then her folks here in KC. We are not cooking anything, but I will miss some of the left overs, like the pie and the chicken and noodles, and the broccoli rice and cheese cassorole and the pies...

By agatha on Wednesday, November 22, 2000 - 01:05 pm:

i usually make this yummy tofu and vegetable pot pie, but this year i am mostly not cooking so i will be bringing my two famous hors doeuvres, which can be found at http://www.torturechamber.com/agatha/blogger.html

i have also had a special request for my mom's homemade baked macaroni and cheese, so i will make that as well. artery clogging fiesta!

i am going to two houses, one before four pm and one from four pm on. last year, i ate so much that i got a headache.

By Trace on Wednesday, November 22, 2000 - 01:29 pm:

mmmmmmmmmm pecan pie

By patrick on Wednesday, November 22, 2000 - 01:40 pm:

mmm baked mac and cheese......succotash havent had that in a long time......yummy...

i gotta figure something out for desert....im not a huge desert fan...so it will most liekyl be something simple.

it kinda sucks, as we had plans with angry sam and his brother to have dinner with some friends and their families....about 20 or so people, annual thing...and well there is an impending death so they had to call it off....which means we had 3 days to put something together...

By Cat on Wednesday, November 22, 2000 - 03:59 pm:

Make little individual pecan pies Patrick. They're always nice with coffee.

When I was dating an American (he came to live here after we met), I kept offering to cook Thanksgiving dinner, but he always went home for it.

It's a shame, because I do like an opportunity to get my hand up a turkey's bum.

By Tom on Wednesday, November 22, 2000 - 05:49 pm:

right. Bend over, Patrick.

By Cybergirl on Wednesday, November 22, 2000 - 06:25 pm:

I have skipped a meal or two and even fasted for a day, but no, I have never gone hungry.

By Isolde on Wednesday, November 22, 2000 - 07:18 pm:

I'm eating in florida. Since the person I'm
    staying with doesn't understand what a vegan
    is, I'll be eating my vegetable sushi, and some
    sweet potatoes. I don't really like Thanksgiving
    anyway.
    food. is. fuel.

By dave. on Wednesday, November 22, 2000 - 08:08 pm:

food is fuel. i think it would be cool to just have a hatch to poor nutrient into. no taste buds. a few times a day, just dump in a pre-determined amount of nutra-gruel: voila!

i just wanna wish everyone a happy thanksgiving. thanksgiving is probably the only holiday i can get behind without feeling like a chump. not like i r e a l l y get into it or anything, just that i'm at peace with the concept. i hope you all have a good one.

By Cat on Wednesday, November 22, 2000 - 09:59 pm:

Hey, thanks a lot dave. I can't tell you how much Thanksgiving means to me, and to have your best wishes at this very special time...well, I'm just feeling like a big group hug, right now.

You're a beautiful person, I don't care what anyone says about your nasty nose-picking habit.

By dave. on Wednesday, November 22, 2000 - 11:26 pm:

*hug*

By dave. on Wednesday, November 22, 2000 - 11:30 pm:

hey, look! mark finally fixed the fucking time. happy thanksgiving, mark. do you want me to ship you another 6pack of delicious, malty jubelale?

By JusMiceElf on Thursday, November 23, 2000 - 12:24 am:

I'll be chowing down on turkey and sweet potatoes, and hopefully much more at work tomorrow. I have to work at two, and dinner is a two thirty, so the cook can go home, and so the morning staff can stay and eat if they want. I've worked Thanksgiving for the past four years; every year I've been at this job but the first. I work in residential treatment with younger children, and most of them aren't stable enough to go home for the day. Every year, we go through the annual dance of who works what holiday. This year, I get Thanksgiving and Christmas. In exchange, I get to go to Florida for New Years with my extended family. Seems fair enough to me.

By crimson on Thursday, November 23, 2000 - 12:58 pm:

i'm going to be cooking the whole thanxgiving feed here. i missed out on my usual traditional serving time of 4:00 AM, though. i was too sick to pull it off. i'll try getting it served in the early evening, instead. i usually end up serving the whole turkey feed to other people who are also sick to death of the whole "family" thanksgiving trip. sick of the fights & bickering, the one-upsmanship & bullshit. everything here is laid back, twisted & funny...& above all, PEACEFUL. pug will be here soon & i'll probably have pilate & his crew, plus my husband. maybe others. the only weird thing about the food-fest this year is that i'm on an extremely restricted diet & won't be able to eat any of the food i'm cooking. no stuffing, no candied yams, no mashed potatoes, no gravy, none of it.

By dave. on Thursday, November 23, 2000 - 01:12 pm:

if it won't kill you to eat starchy stuff, go ahead and do it. the diet can start all over tomorrow. go for it. i'm psyched to have some fuckin turkey and stuffing. i've been veggie for 6 or 7 years but not any more. move over veggies: make way for mmmmeat!

By crimson on Thursday, November 23, 2000 - 01:25 pm:

oh, man...blowing the diet is admittedly a temptation. i can't have carbs of any sort, nor refined flour, sugar or caffeine. no fruit or grains. i should've mentioned that i can have one thing...meat, & plenty of it. so yeah, i get some of the turkey. that's it. otherwise, my system might unleash some kind of god-awful insulin nightmare.

if i ever decide to break the diet, the first thing i want...& i know it sounds kinda weird...is a stack of blueberry pancakes dripping w/ syrup. followed by lunch at a chinese buffet. dinner at a mexican joint. that's the stuff i miss the most.

& stuffing, of course.

By dave. on Thursday, November 23, 2000 - 02:24 pm:

sounds like the diet i was on until the meat went and stunk up the fridge, ruining everything, and i had to throw almost everything away. then, i couldn't afford to buy enough meat to continue on. i was doing really good, too. damn. i think the first thing i ate after i realized the diet had to be suspended was about a pound of jo-jo potatos and ranch dip.

By crimson on Thursday, November 23, 2000 - 05:59 pm:

jo-jos. damn. that & some ranch dip would rock the house. i'm about to fire up the thanksgiving chow now. wondering if i should make a sweet potato pie or just skip it. i'm waiting for pug to show up w/ some spuds (for the mashed potatoes & gravy).

By Czarina on Thursday, November 23, 2000 - 06:57 pm:

Crimson,I was at your house at 4:00 AM.That was me knocking,delicately balancing a bird on one slender wrist,and a fresh pancreas,on the other,specially brought just for you,so you could induldge in all the palative treats of this festive day.

As you didn't answer the door,I took the liberty of leaving the pancreas under the wood pile,where you keep your spare key,which I couldn't find,because it was still dark out.Without having a blood sample,to get an exact X-match,I went ahead and brought a generic,Wal-Mart pancreas,the lable said it was suitable for all,with a minor inclusion that it was not FDA approved for those of unspecified origin.So I think it will do nicely for you.Hope it helps you enjoy the yummies you're preparing.

My best to Pilate,and his gang,sans Violet.Hope they're holding up without her.

Happy Big Bird Day to all!

By crimson on Thursday, November 23, 2000 - 08:34 pm:

wow...a pancreas! you shouldn't have! now i can pig out like the good lord intended. how thoughtful of you. too sweet.

the gang's all here, watching bad movies & having a cozy warm fuzzy good time. it's really cool, i think. all of us here are in some way social outcasts who don't have very many family connections. but we've made our own little family. it's a good thing. if i'm thankful for anything, it's for the ability for lost souls & random misfits to find each other.

By Tom on Friday, November 24, 2000 - 04:47 am:

Amen.

Thankfulness item: the internet.

as dumb as it may sound, the people I consider my family are spread out over 6 states and Ecuador; and I've had contact with almost all of them today. Why not phone? not a clue.

But it's now 1:44 in the morning after, so I guess being thankful is back out of style? damn. I was just getting into it.

By dave. on Friday, November 24, 2000 - 05:31 am:

just spent the last hour on the road driving back home from seattle. cranking goatsnake and riding that fine line between passing everyone else while trying not to be too obvious about it. 70 miles in 50 minutes, not bad. my shitty little car likes to go fast but i have to keep it in check when i'm blowing a .12 or so. .08 is fucking ridiculous. cleo stayed in seattle. we're going back tomorrow to visit some friends who are visiting from eureka. our kitchen is a wreck. i had two dinners, i look like i ate a basketball. turkey, stuffing and gravy: that's what it was about tonight. and beer.

j, scoop that vomit up and send it back to ma in a tupperware container. tell her it's leftovers.

By dave. on Friday, November 24, 2000 - 05:34 am:

oh. that was a different thread.

By Isolde on Friday, November 24, 2000 - 11:22 am:

It's ok. It was a great line anyway. "Scoop that
    vomit up and send it back to ma..." Excellent.

By J on Friday, November 24, 2000 - 12:40 pm:

That's a good idea Dave,my whole house reeks,I made a lot of food,harvard beets,green bean casserole,ginger glazed carrots,a glazed ham,(red pepper,cucumber,onion,tomatoe,carrot salad )scalloped potatoes,and Amee made turkey and stuffing,plus pecan and pumkin pie.The old coot didn't eat one thing,but she drank a bunch of wine and eggnogs with brandy.When we all ate,she was passed out on the couch,after dinner Amee,Jerry,Ryan,and his friend Heather Hall all went to a skate park to watch Jerry skate.I was doing the dishes and cleaning up,my Heather was doing the laundry.I had put a bowl up and slammed the cabinet door a little hard.My mom comes out of her coma,thinks someone is at the door,and tries to get up.I have a pass through in my kitchen that I can see into the living room,she was staggering around and fell on my coffee table which is glass and I was afraid she was going to hurt herself,so I yelled for Heather to come help her.My mother said she was going to puke,so I gave her a large tuppenware bowl and she did spew in it,but then she sat it down and hurled on my carpet,couch,and herself,then she passed out.The kids came back from the skate park and I think Jerry broke his arm but he was too tanked to tell.Ryan was going to take Amee's car to get some more beer,to make a long story short,he was trying to start her car with the wrong keys,we called out A.A.A.,but he couldn't tow it cause our mechanic didn't answer the phone and someone would have to meet him,so he left.Amee was going to take everyone home in our car and come back,wich is when we realized they had been trying to start Amee's car with my moms house keys. I have a horrible hangover as I'm typing this and a pile of puke in my living room and I just can't deal with it.The torture never stops.

By dave. on Friday, November 24, 2000 - 02:46 pm:

damn, that's bordering on disastrous. you guys party like college kids. where's mom now? she needs to be down on her hands and knees with a bucket of soapy water and a scrub brush.

By J on Saturday, November 25, 2000 - 01:19 am:

I got up today looked at the shambles of my life,ate a ham sandwhich,smoked a couple of J's and took a nap,I just couldn't deal with it.It's still there,I sprayed some Lysol on it,but it still stinks.Your right Dave,I'm going to call her tommorrow and tell her to clean up her mess.I called her tonight to make sure she was alive,she said ,"I'm still living"and I thought to myself too bad.I'm going to tell her if she doesn't come over here and clean up this stench,I'm going to put her down.They shoot horses don't they?

By Isolde on Saturday, November 25, 2000 - 09:57 am:

hee hee.
    Yes, they do. Although I think you may enter a
    small legal battle if you try and shoot your
    mum.

By Czarina on Saturday, November 25, 2000 - 11:59 pm:

Just thank God Punkin wasn't there,to round out an already fun filled evening.

By patrick on Monday, November 27, 2000 - 12:25 pm:

our dinner day was a hit. the coq au vin and beef burgundy were stellar.....nico did the meats. i did everything else...what fun.

the food got everyone drunk, and the wine got everyone buzzed. thats the way we like it.

i was thankful i had money to buy the food that made goodness in everyone's belly, Im thankful i have a kooky hottie for a wife who likes to wear wigs, and drink chinese wine..

By J on Monday, November 27, 2000 - 02:08 pm:

I'm glad you had a good Thanksgiving at least,mom sure ruined it for the rest of us,now she's all pissed off and is putting her townhouse for sale and moving back to West Virginia.She only has an aunt that is in her 80's still alive,I guess she's going to try to pawn herself on her.The weather will kill her.I have done all I can do to help her and it always blows up in my face.She upsets me,I use to go to a 12 step program C.O.D.A. and my therapist told me to completely cut all ties with her,she is what you call a toxic person.But she's my mom and I couldn't do that.She can use my brother cause he needs her money,she knows I don't and that just kills her.I did win the yahoo auction on my bid for The Dancing Bandit and Jesco Goes To Hollywood,so I'm pretty excited about that.And my kids love me,in their own way.

By Fb on Monday, November 27, 2000 - 03:32 pm:

J. I did everything I could dream of to help the EX. Now looking back at all the support groups detox, AA, NA, etc. It's a waste of time and money. I should have taken my attorney's advice. He stated, "Don't fool around with it, get rid of her." Harsh but absolutely the best advice. Even the rehab center told me, "You are going to have to make a tough decision. She is going to continue and take you down." It's hard to give them up, but they will use you up and leave anyway. Be selfish, look out for you first. Good luck!

By J on Tuesday, November 28, 2000 - 12:15 am:

Ah,hon,,she was your wife,not blood,I can alway's get another husband,((or in your case wife) that's not like real family.

By Tom on Tuesday, November 28, 2000 - 03:50 pm:

J, I realize that your problems with your mom are serious, real, and hard, but the above post is bullshit. At least, it could be.

It was alot harder for me to break ties with my fiancee than with my mother.

The girl was someone I'd chosen to be with, who ended up treating me like shit.

If you get married, and you "mean it," you're devoting yourself to being with this one person for ever, they become family. And seeing a commitment of that seriousness deteriorate.

agh.

It's just as hard. At least, I would imagine.

but I don't know.

By J on Tuesday, November 28, 2000 - 04:07 pm:

I just feel sorry and guilty for her,because she is physically sick and won't be here much longer.

By Tom on Tuesday, November 28, 2000 - 04:56 pm:

That's well and fair, that you feel sorry for her, but the thing, the thing is:

She is not your responsibility.

You are.

So, if you can take care of yourself, fully and well, then you have room to make a list of the other people and things you want to take care of. But your support of, or responsibility for, other causes, be they people, crusades, whatever, WILL NOT WORK if you aren't taking care of yourself first. You are the basis and the base for everything you do.

So if you can't deal with her, while still taking care of yourself, then the solution, hard as it may be, is DON'T deal with her.

Love and best wishes. keep us posted?

By J on Wednesday, November 29, 2000 - 01:36 am:

Bless your heart hon,I spoke to her tonight and she was all wacked out because she had called some plumber who put a water heater in for her, about two months ago,she accused him of stealing her wrench and he cussed her out.She let it slip that she had also told off her next door neighbors, a real nice couple,she thinks they have been taking her river rocks out of her yard,they probably told her off too,I think that's why she wants to move.Nobody like the old bitch,she has no friends,all she lives for is to make people miserable.It's a wonder I'm as sane as I am,and that's not saying much.

By ThePerveYou on Wednesday, November 29, 2000 - 10:45 pm:

On a lighter note.

I stuffed a couple a turkeys over the holiday.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact