[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Yummy

sorabji.com: Have you ever gone hungry?: Yummy
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Col Sanders on Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 10:21 am:

By droopy on Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 10:45 am:

the nightmare becomes reality.

By Nate on Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 11:11 am:

you had that nightmare too, droopy?

except in my nightmare the featherless chickens were wearing pink nighties, they weren't pink themselves.

By Spider on Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 11:22 am:

I feel as revolted when I look at those pictures as I do when I see photos of a gunshot wound to the face. I'm not disturbed by the science, either...this is just a visceral response to the sight.

By Nate on Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 11:30 am:

they are ugly.

but are they tasty?

By droopy on Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 11:37 am:

i've never literally had a dream with denuded chickens in it. but i will now. the just look nightmarish. the first thing i thought of when that jpeg was that part of "eraserhead" where he's at his girlfriend's house and they're having squab or something and the little dead, cooked birds starting moving on the plates. it also makes me think of some stupid movie i once saw where some guy has the idea to feed live tuna mayonaisse so when they're canned you don't have to add the mayo later.

the hen's thigh does look kind of succulent, though. now it makes me think of the part in the douglas adams book where the cow comes up to them and introduces itself as the entree.

By patrick on Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 11:54 am:

bare-asses chickens aside....what about the matter being brought to light of extending basic rights to chimps, apes and other extremely intelligent animals? Animals reportedly to have the intelligence of a 3 year old human. Theres talk of extending the basic human rights we are afforded to these creatures to prevent abuse. I don't think ive come across such a sticky and tricky legal matter in a long time?

By semillama on Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 12:30 pm:

5{ than enough evidence that
    higher primates such as apes possess a
    degree of sentinence. They should have the
    basic rights we extend to humans at the same
    mental level.

Interesting thing to bring up , patrick. i hope
    more folks weigh in.

By sarah on Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 12:38 pm:

greed-inspired scientific research is allowing our species to move farther and farther away from what it means to be human. we should question if this even is in *our* best interest, let alone the best interest of chickens.

godalmighty this is so depressing.

By eri on Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 02:24 pm:

Looking at those pictures simply reminded me why I avoid eating meat when I can. Ewww.

By spunky on Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 02:40 pm:

my little recovering Vegetarian

By heather on Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 02:51 pm:

the world changes constantly, this is not a new thing

we have changed and are now accelerating the changing and learning process

we need to push boundaries to grow. even the possibly horrific ones.

it's weird to think that not even a hundred year ago many people did not even have the rights of other humans

the trouble about specific rights for these animals [in my mind] has something to do with the fact that 3 and 5 year old children have parents controlling and caring for them while these are adult animals with wild natures

it's also strange that we only consider 'intelligence' when classifying animals this way. humans with little or no intelligence are still humans

i think sem once mentioned respect as the issue and i think it's true- that respect of all things is key [inanimate as well]. unfortunately most of us can't even summon respect for our own family members.

By trace on Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 02:54 pm:

Heather, are you a vegan?

By heather on Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 03:13 pm:

no

respect doesn't mean 'don't eat'

animals eat animals

if we had to chase down our meat we would have more respect for it

By Silver Platter on Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 04:07 pm:

I'm sure Nate eats Heather and respects her as well because he has to chase her down to submit to his eating of her.

By spunky on Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 04:35 pm:

I could comment about chasing down something before i eat it, but it would be best if I kept my mouth shut

By patrick on Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 04:48 pm:

you guys have to chase? wow, its usually me who is being chased.

By heather on Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 05:47 pm:

nice doogie

By Doogie on Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 06:25 pm:

I know, sorry about that heather. That was pretty bad. Boredom at work, you know.

By eri on Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 07:31 pm:

I enjoy the chase!

By Czarina on Friday, May 24, 2002 - 03:53 am:

Now,if they could figure out how to genetically debone them,all one would need, would be a tasty side dish.

They have chickens here called Transylvania Naked Necked Chickens.They aren't too cute from the neck up.

Sometimes people scare me.

By dave. on Friday, May 24, 2002 - 09:53 am:

anyone notice the military/survivalist theme going on in corporate america? i think i read an article about it somewhere recently but i've been noticing for a while. yesterday, i saw a willys full of corpulent corporate commandos in khakis driving around in redmond -- possibly on their way to sushi -- but i couldn't get my camera out in time. if only they were waving kalashnikovs. i'll bet ted nugent goes on a speaking tour by the end of the year.

By sarah on Friday, May 24, 2002 - 10:51 am:

here in texas, sportsmen lease out land on wooded ranches that raise deer. wow, now that must be a real tough exercise in hunting. i wonder if they even get dirt under their fingernails when they pull the trigger...

By J on Saturday, May 25, 2002 - 02:50 am:

I wish somebody could come up with boneless catfish. I'd buy that for a dollar.

Add your message

Identify yourself:
E-mail (optional):

new messages from the last 24 hours . new messages from the last week
new messages . search these message boards . send e-postcards
message boards . what are you doing?
sorabji.com