It seemed funny at the time

sorabji.com: What is the cruelest thing you ever did?: It seemed funny at the time
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Headphoney on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 01:26 pm:

Grade School Assembly. A student with a severe hearing disablity does his best to deliver a report on Texas history with visual aides. Word got around during the presentation that we were to just mime clapping because it really wouldn't matter much anyway. It turned out to be cruel, a few morally upright students didn't partake and the teacher of course clapped, but for the most part it was a sick joke.

By Nate on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 02:38 pm:

doesn't sound sick to me.

what's the big deal?

By Nietzsche on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 03:05 pm:

I thought it was funny - a good sight gag: this poor kid beaming with pride looking out into an audience who are actually just miming.

On a deeper level - I think it's important that we as a culture - even as a species - never lose the ability to regard those who are different with, at the very least, ridicule, but ideally with loathing or hatred. Without this instinct, culture will simply erode from within. It is also morally upright. The students who had not taken part in the joke above were not upright, but instead were showing the weakness of empathy or compassion - "how would i feel if I were him", essentially. Compassion is the termite eating away at the structure of society. For where does it end?

I find insidious the growing infiltration of the handicapped - the substandard, as I prefer - into Society. Beyond being an eyesore and annoyance, they are costing us money. Concessions being made in the way of ramps and other architectural rapes, phone services for the deaf, Braille menus and such for the blind, aren't cheap.

Next time you see a guy in a wheelchair, slash his tires.

By Patrick on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 03:10 pm:

oh shut up!

By J on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 03:10 pm:

If this is supposed to be funny it,s not,I can tell you,re crippled...inside.

By Margret on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 03:59 pm:

Ever actually read any Nietzsche?

Poseur Loseur.

By Margret on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 04:06 pm:

I apologize in advance.

I have developed an intense antipathy towards really bad readings of Nietzsche.

It is actually affecting my sense of humour.

And I probably should have said something like: did you read more than those 3 paras of Nietzsche you were assigned as a freshman?

By Pedant on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 04:08 pm:

That apology isn't in advance. It's post facto. Unless you've got something really offensive still planned...

By Margret on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 04:20 pm:

I was, in fact, apologizing in advance of the responses I expected to receive.

By Nietzshe on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 04:28 pm:

Weak-minded fools, all of you.

By Margret on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 04:33 pm:

Oh learn to fucking spell (or type)!

By Nietzs_c_he on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 04:39 pm:

Except for Nate. I'll bet he's a Nazi.

By agatha on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 04:45 pm:

droopy, go kick his ass!

By Margret on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 04:59 pm:

Well, it is pretty well established through sane and objective (and now 3rd party) sources that he's anti-semitic.

By mistaswine on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 05:03 pm:

he's also mean to small furry animals.

By Patrick on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 05:05 pm:

oh shit.....nate+nazi=L..L..Lu.........oh hell i can't say it

By Herr Nate on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 05:10 pm:

Ich trete Sie in den Beeren.

By patrick on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 05:11 pm:

ich liebe beeren

By Markus on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 05:17 pm:

Kirschen, wielleicht?

By Margret on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 05:21 pm:

Cherry beer sux.

By Nate on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 05:22 pm:

Smoken Kracken?

By Margret on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 05:24 pm:

Ich, auch, d00d!

By Nate on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 05:29 pm:

Bier?

By mistaswine on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 05:29 pm:

i ihre mutter besitzen.

By Margret on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 05:34 pm:

My momma could sooooo kick your ass.

By Patrick on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 05:42 pm:

richt naten bier....ich liebe Spaten

By Markus on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 06:01 pm:

So you love both berries and spades?

By Patrick on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 06:22 pm:

i love beer, specifically Spaten..i first thought beeren was beer, and then nate helped me out with bier, that seemed logical and to ring a dusty bell. now i am all confused. High school german up in smoke......
    i love Spaten beer.

By Dougie on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 06:36 pm:

Fuck the Krauts

By sarah on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 09:12 pm:

ich habe eine katze in meine hosen.

By Dougie on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 09:48 pm:

How do you say "chatte mouillee" in German?

By Isolde on Wednesday, February 23, 2000 - 11:01 pm:

I wish I knew more German.

By Richard on Thursday, February 24, 2000 - 12:29 am:

Ask Tristan to teach you.

By droopy on Thursday, February 24, 2000 - 12:48 am:

hey, i've got something i want one of you french speakers to translate. it's from book two of gargantua and pantagruel by rabelais.

there's this character named panurge, see, and he has an enormous codpiece. he's fallen in lust with a parisian lady and sets about to woo her by offering her:

"...a bout of fun together, at the up and down game. For" (showing his long codpiece) "here's Master John Thursday, who will play you a jig that you'll feel in the marrow of your bones. He's a sprightly fellow, and he is so good at finding all the cracks and quirks and special spots in the carnal trap that after him there is no need of a broom."

those french sure know how to talk. anyway, after that it's interesting to see this exchange a page later:

"Go away," she said, "go away. That is no affair of mine. Leave me alone to say my prayers."

"But," he said, what does *A Beaumont le Vicomte* remind you of?"

"I have no idea," she replied.

"Of, *'A beau cont le vit monte'*....."

the footnote to the french text reads: "A most indelicate pun, quite untranslatable."

translate it.

By cyst on Thursday, February 24, 2000 - 01:17 am:

for a beautiful cunt, the cock rises

I think

By droop on Thursday, February 24, 2000 - 01:34 am:

merci beaucoup.

By Gee on Thursday, February 24, 2000 - 01:39 am:

I'm listening to my university's radio station (I just today found out we had one) and it really really Really sucks. It's all rap and techno-rock stuff. There aren't even any funny DJ's.

By Markus on Thursday, February 24, 2000 - 11:20 am:

The lovely and talented Cyst is correct.

By droopy on Thursday, February 24, 2000 - 12:03 pm:

never doubted her for a second.

wouldn't have accepted another answer, anyway.

By Dougie on Thursday, February 24, 2000 - 07:23 pm:

Looks good, Cyst. I know "con" is slang for dumbass, pussy etc. And "vit" probably became "bite" -- modern slang for dick. Droopy, was it spelled "cont" or "con" in your text?

By droopy on Thursday, February 24, 2000 - 10:23 pm:

i posted the french letter for letter. i figured i should at least make sure that was right.

i'm happy with
    cyst's answer;
    and if you kids
    come up with
    something different,
    i don't wanna
    know about it.

i want to leave
    the cunts beautiful,
    the cocks rising,
    and everything right in the world.

By Markus on Friday, February 25, 2000 - 11:55 am:

Isn't that one of those old Irish toasts?

By roy pod on Friday, February 25, 2000 - 02:30 pm:

may the cock rise to meet you.

heute abend
    heute abend
    gibt mir ein lowenbrau.

By Antigone on Monday, February 28, 2000 - 10:46 pm:

I could tell you some interesting shit about FlashNet, Nietzshe...

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact