Something to ponder...

sorabji.com: What are you afraid of?: Something to ponder...
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By semillama on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 01:44 pm:

By Antigone on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 03:47 pm:

Support your local hacker.

'nuff said...

By Antigone on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 03:52 pm:

Wait. I forgot.

Support open source software.

By Trace on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 03:53 pm:

amen

By Antigone on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 03:54 pm:

Oh yeah.

Take a daily multivitamin.

By Antigone on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 03:55 pm:

And a glass of red wine.

By Antigone on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 04:31 pm:

Seriously, this is the shit that happens when corporations have an undue control over the government. Make no mistake, corporations are built to protect their financial interests. At the moment that protection involves perpetuating the status quo of artificial scarcity. The free market is no longer free when corporations band together to control the forces of supply and demand.

Anyway, my words are paltry compared to those of John Gilmore, the author of the above linked article. Skip all of the technical mumbo jumbo and go to the last four paragraphs. There you'll see the heart of why the Electronic Frontier Foundation fights so hard against corporate control of digital content. Basically, the distribution of digital content (music and movies being the most popular subjects at the moment) could be the test bed for an economy that's not based on scarcity.

By semillama on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 05:08 pm:

I knew you could say better'n me.

You talk pretty, Aunty Goney.

(seriously, this kind of thing is why I'm against too much state's rights, too little regulation - I think it would be even easier to do this sort of thing without a strong central gov't))

By heather on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 05:20 pm:

hey sem, thanks for the link

i'm looking at digital art + new media as part of my thesis...all the 'art in the age of mechanical reproduction' stuff....no one has disconnected the commodification aspect so far, it's always seen as a problem....

now i'm starting to see where an interest in communism [some people around here are talign about it] is fitting in- albiet a bit different...

By Daniel ssss on Monday, January 22, 2001 - 11:29 pm:

all for a commercial free internet stamp your $ key.

By heather on Tuesday, January 23, 2001 - 12:21 am:

talign=talking

By Tired on Tuesday, January 23, 2001 - 11:57 am:

blah blah blah social paradigm shift blah blah blah censored and driven underground blah blah blah public's right of free speech and publication blah blah blah one out of every ten children died in infancy blah blah blah economic protectionism blah blah blah end scarcity without massive social turmoil blah blah blah

imagine, if you will, two politicos in the 20s watching a movie after reading emma goldman's latest rant, and imagine them thinking how nice it would be if all these people would just confine their crazy political rhetoric to talking about the movies.

my favorite part was this: "This system results in the situation where a consumer can buy a DVD player legally, buy a DVD legally, and put the two
    together, and the movie won't play." You can replace "DVD player" and "DVD" by, say, "kitten" and "toaster." So you can't play DVDs from other regions. oooooooooooooooooooh.

Tell ya what, save the money on a DVD player, I'll sum up the movies for the next few years for you right here:

Jim Carrey gets kicked in the nuts.
    Helen Hunt/Meg Ryan/Julia Roberts falls in love with Tom Hanks/Mel Gibson/Richard Gere.
    Keanu Reeves plays a complete idiot.
    A terrible disaster threatens to destroy the world until Will Smith/Arnold Schwarzenegger/Bruce Willis saves the day.
    Steve Buscemi plays some sort of freak.

Seriously, I'd be fucking _delighted_ if this were the worst thing our government did. I'm not their biggest fan, but if you people want something to complain about, write Michael Moore or Ralph Nader (prolly has a lot of time on his hands nowadays) and ask for a list.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact