falling out of love

sorabji.com: What are you afraid of?: falling out of love
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By patrick on Wednesday, May 23, 2001 - 11:42 am:

Can anyone tell me what its like to "fall out of love"?

By Czarina on Wednesday, May 23, 2001 - 11:50 am:

I can tell you its very painful,to still be in love,and then to try and end it.Miserably painful.

By J on Wednesday, May 23, 2001 - 12:13 pm:

When you can't stand the sight of who you thought you loved is a pretty good sign of it,when you'd rather be around anyone else besides who you thought you loved even if it's a bunch of drunks,when you have to stay fucked up just to cope,but I'm not one to gossip and you didn't hear that from me.

By Czarina on Wednesday, May 23, 2001 - 01:02 pm:

J,you can always come here with me.Lousiana sucks,but at least you could put some distance between yourselves.We have drive thru bars.

By patrick on Wednesday, May 23, 2001 - 01:08 pm:

sometimes i worry.

about you too J

By patrick on Wednesday, May 23, 2001 - 01:36 pm:

i have to wonder if the concept of "in love" or "out of love" is moronic to begin with.

can you be in love with someone and not be with them in the traditional sense? can you not be "out of love" with someone and still love them?

maybe im just not making sense again.

By Nate on Wednesday, May 23, 2001 - 02:22 pm:

i think "in love" and "out of love" refer to romantic love, whereas when you say you love someone, it refers to general human love.

i love my dad, i'm not in love with my dad.

so yes, it is very possible to be out of love with someone and still love them.

and to fall out of love with someone and still love them is one of the most horrid experiences in the world, i think. reducing their previously immense existance in your life is on par with simply having them die.

i wonder, now, if falling out of love isn't really just realizing that you were never in love.

i don't know.

i can't remember.

By Fetidbeaver on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 12:38 am:

Oh, I thought falling out of love was when on a long stroke your pecker falls out of her. I've been wrong before though.

By Cat on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 12:51 am:

There's a spot on my neck that hasn't be kissed in two years. Thinking about that the other day made me incredibly sad.

It's been so long since I felt totally, completely, mutually loved. I seem to remember it was like marshmellows just browned by a campfire. Or was that sex?

But I'm all bitter because I've just loved someone who didn't love me back and it was misery-guts-making. Next time I'm demanding total devotion before I lower the barriers one inch. Maybe I'll get a liver or lung as a deposit.

By moonit on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 01:38 am:

you could ask for a gift like this woman

By patrick on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 11:12 am:

i hate it when i get into moods like that. i feel so consumed

By Hal on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 11:23 am:

Cat I know how you feel. Right now I seem to be going through the same thing. I've never really ever fallen out of love. In fact the first girl I ever fell in love with (and don't get me wrong its only happened twice,) I still love. She knows this, after she broke up with me o'so many years ago every one called me her guardian angel because of the things I would still do for her. And I guess its true. She's married now, and has a kid, no bitterness though, I was the bestman at her wedding and the godfather of her child.

Now I'm in the situation of loving someone who doesn't love me back, she fears leaving me I think because she's afraid of what I'll do. Personally I think I'll just break down for a while, drink a lot, and eventually move on in my life with a huge hole in my heart, but I'm pretty sure she thinks I'll do something way more drastic then that. Its depressing because I don't actually know her actual feeling and every time I ask I never get a straight awnser. I'd do anything for her and she knows it. Love is the simplest of things and yet at the same time the most complicated. Love is the requium of life, ever consuming, ever demanding, and ever damning.

Shit its only 9:30 am and I need a god damn drink.

By Spider on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 11:32 am:

I hear you, buddy. Unrequited love is a bitch.

I could use a gin and tonic.

By Spider on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 11:35 am:

Make that "buddies." Cat's included.

By dave. on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 12:12 pm:

hal, dump her ass. do it to her before she does it to you. nevermind that she'll be hanging off someone else's arm by monday, dump her.

just tell her that you're through with this bullshit. no other explanation is necessary. the ironic thing is, she'll probably like you more for it but don't fall for that trap.

DUMP HER!

i'd love a chance to be young again and really let 'em have it.

By Czarina on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 12:21 pm:

On a lighter note..........that Mary doesn't need a man,she appears to be rather self-fulfilling.

The" buddy system "is a good plan.There is someone special for each of you.You'll see.And chances are you'll each find that special person when you least expect it,and aren't looking.The good loves always sneak up on you,and insinuate themselves cleverly into your life,before you realize it.And one day,whammo,you realize that he/she is right there,and has been for awhile,just waiting for you to recognize their worth.[of this I am sure]

But meantime,continue with the "buddy system".

By Nate on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 12:57 pm:

i agree with dave, hal. but for different reasons.

if you know that she'd dump you if she didn't think it would fuck with you so much, then let her off the hook.

By Hal on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 02:54 pm:

god I'm a fucking coward. I pretty much know what you said is true, and I must thank you because you are the first people to actually say it, which suprising enough is its own means of convincing a person to do things they know should be done.

Now I just need to stop being a fucking sniffling, love spat, coward and do it.

By Fetidbeaver on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 03:25 pm:

Hal, (not to change the subject) I never got around to answering your question. I had my meniscus repaired, supposedly. My knee now pops, clicks, and hurts like hell. I've been taking 20 Norco's a day. Norco is double strength Vicodin.
    I'm on my way to pick up some percocet now. I took 80 Norco's in the past 3 days, so the ortho decided maybe it wasn't strong enuff. Duh, go figure.
    As far as your woman issue goes, get rid of her. Don't lower yourself to staying with somebody who doesn't love you.

By Nate on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 03:40 pm:

i don't think you're a coward, hal. you're just scared. maybe there's no "just" about it.

and i know how it is. i was so scared that i took all my issues and buried them so deeply inside of me that i could ignore them. instead of dealing, i just comprimised myself away and went on living.

i even had doubts when i was buying the ring, but i buried them too.

everything, buried. until it struck me that i was about to be married. forever.

and the shit wouldn't stay buried anymore. and i realized i had no choice. and the ball started rolling.

but had i realized earlier. had i just addressed my issues openly and accepted that the match wasn't a good one. so much would have been easier.

so, you may be scared. but you're not a pussy.

get the first couple words out and the rest will follow.

once the ball is rolling, it will complete itself.

and it will suck. and then you'll be over it.

By Nate on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 03:40 pm:

i don't think you're a coward, hal. you're just scared. maybe there's no "just" about it.

and i know how it is. i was so scared that i took all my issues and buried them so deeply inside of me that i could ignore them. instead of dealing, i just comprimised myself away and went on living.

i even had doubts when i was buying the ring, but i buried them too.

everything, buried. until it struck me that i was about to be married. forever.

and the shit wouldn't stay buried anymore. and i realized i had no choice. and the ball started rolling.

but had i realized earlier. had i just addressed my issues openly and accepted that the match wasn't a good one. so much would have been easier.

so, you may be scared. but you're not a pussy.

get the first couple words out and the rest will follow.

once the ball is rolling, it will complete itself.

and it will suck. and then you'll be over it.

By Spider on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 03:43 pm:

I should have my knees looked at. The left one grinds and pops and clicks every time I bend it, regardless if my weight's on it or not. My right one has begun to click when I go up the stairs.

I had the left one cursorily glanced at by my doctor a couple years ago, and she said that if it didn't hurt or give out on me, there was no reason to be alarmed. It has never done either of those (though I can feel it grinding, which is gross and annoying), but, shoot, man.....it's really loud. It can't be healthy. What do you think, fb?

By Nate on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 03:55 pm:

my right knee pops when i go up stairs. i was told not to worry about it. i have no problems when i run.

i was told it is bubbles squishing around.

By spider on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 04:05 pm:

this feels like i have no cartiledge in my left knee. i can't run on it, really...it doesn't hurt, but it feels weird.

By Nate on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 04:26 pm:

huh. strange.

do your kneecaps move around a lot? maybe working on your quads would help?

you can do that sitting at work. just flex and unflex your quads until you can't anymore.

though it sounds more like in the joint than the knee cap.

i'm not a doctor. i don't see why i think i know anything.

except about the sublexing patella, bit. that's how i cured mine.

By Hal on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 04:28 pm:

Spider- your losing cartiledge in your knee joint, bad thing talk to docter.

Nate- the doc's right, its just the bubbles popping here and there, its like when you crack your knuckes except your knees bend the right way to pop them way more often.

As for the girl situation, your right, I am scared. I should probably explain the fact that for the longest time she has been the person (minus all sorabjites because we know that they are included in this bunch) that I confided my problems to. In fact I think thats what I fear is losing a person to tell my problems to, someone to give me a hug when I'm having a really shitty day (which I don't have now because she lives in a differnt fucking city.) I am scared and I know it, and your right Nate its all a matter of saying the first few words and letting the ball roll. Now the trick is to actually say the words and roll the ball.

By Fb on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 04:47 pm:

Spider, My advice is to have an MRI. Not the open type, their images are not as clear do to weaker
    magnets. If anything shows, I don't know what to tell you. I'm not pleased with my results. Maybe I had a hack doctor, maybe it needs more time, maybe I'm expecting too much. I am pleased with the pain meds though.

By Cat on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 04:51 pm:

Sounds like you're kinda addicted to love, Hal. As a former serial relationship girl, I've been there and recognise the signs. The bad thing about that is there could be someone out there who's so perfect for you, but you don't know because you're wasting your time being dependant on the wrong person.

The only cure is to stay single for a while and learn to relish it, suck it up and you'll be better for it. You'll also be a better catch for Ms Right, because you'll be more emotionally healthy and able to enjoy a relationship.

By Nate on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 05:15 pm:

oh yeah, Hal.

Trust in the Will of the Universe.

i'm getting a kick out of that.

By patrick on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 05:16 pm:

im pretty sure my knee caps are going to be replaced soon. I've always been told they are double jointed. They, in particular the left, are prone to popping out of socket for split seconds.

My knees have been creaking and popping since i was a kid.

I was also told it was fluid build up...and the subsequent bubbles. I know people who have had the fluid drained....excess that is.

The last time i threw my knee out in a major way, was during a company xmas party...back in ATL. I was doing kareoke to Blue Suade Shoes...the hip and leg motions proved to much so my knee said "the hell with you" and put me on the ground.

Its absolutely frightening when my knees go out like that, because it can happen simply by walking...such as it did a few weeks ago. I stepped on an uneven part of the side walk and it started to go out but i caught it in time.

During the Blue Suade Shoe episode, i was off my feet for 2 weeks. They advised if I was not walking in another week...orthopedic surgery here we come. Basically everytime if goes out like that it rips cartilage.

My grandpa got both his caps replaced entirely and said it was the best procedure and most painful he did medically ever (and he's had a lung removed a pipe in his heart and numerous other ailements). He got some killer meds too.

By Nate on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 05:25 pm:

build up your quads, patrick. my knees used to pop out of joint all the time. they never do now.

By Hal on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 06:03 pm:

Going to attempt to solve said problem the weekend after this coming weekend (ie: 1st, 2nd, 3rd.) I may be scared but I'm not going to do something like this over the phone no matter how much easier it seems... And belive me it so seems like the easy way to do it. Phone breakups suck, and I know I've had about 4 of them happen to me over the last 3 years.

By Pug on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 06:06 pm:

My knees are only SLIGHTLY fucked up----although I have occasional bouts with arthritis in my feet.
    The whole thread reminds me of my Ex----that was her whole tack on things over a year ago----"I think I'm falling out of love with you." And I spent a year fighting to keep a chance of pulling it all back together alive. It was a total waste of time, of course----She says, "don't hate yourself over me---I'm not worth hating yourself over." I respond, "no----you're just everything I ever wanted."
    and it all goes back to the same shit----if I were worth anything she'd still love me....if I were worth anything nothing would have changed....but it always turns out this way.
    And it spills over into anything else----all my writing endeavours and whatever---if I can't change her mind then it's all just a waste of time---there's no way I'll ever win over jaded publishers or agents....so goes the life of a Professional Failure, I guess---
    I have zero hope and zero faith and as far as I'm concerned life is total shit.....but wtf? I hoist a 40 to alla y'all in the "Buddy System" ,anyway.

By Cat on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 06:24 pm:

"if I were worth anything she'd still love me"

It's strange how smart people get turned into total idiots by love.

By patrick on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 06:32 pm:

nate are your knees double jointed?

when i actually used to be quite athletic with soccer and skating...my legs were in excellent shape....they popped out all the time. Not that your advice isnt good, ive been seriously thinking of getting my legs back into shape....keep them limber and flexible.

By Pug on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 06:47 pm:

I don't have to justify what I say---my experiences justify it for me. I'm talking history----it's all there in black and white, crystal fucking clear----I'm right----endless experimentation proves this hypothesis. The same equation again and again and again MAKES ME RIGHT.
    It's called Entropy, boys'n' girls....

By Nate on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 06:53 pm:

the only thing that keeps you where you are is your belief that this is all you'll ever have. that this is where you belong.

By Cat on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 06:55 pm:

It's not bloody true, Pug. Don't judge your own self-worth through the opinions of others. Especially not through a lover who brings their own emotional dish to the buffet.

By Cat on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 07:00 pm:

You just have to find someone who sees your worth and will treasure you. You appear to be an articulate, intelligent bloke with a sense of humour. That seems like a pretty decent package to me.

By Hal on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 08:29 pm:

1 there is no such thing as a double joint.

2. I am proof love makes smart people stupid.

By Nate on Thursday, May 24, 2001 - 08:38 pm:

sure there is, hal. it just takes two papers.

By Dougie on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 09:04 am:

My left ankle has been "slipping" lately, it feels like the outside bone moves every time I step down. Not painful but a little disconcerting. I'm hoping it goes away soon.

By Nate on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 10:14 am:

i've been running every day and my legs feel great.

By Dougie on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 10:23 am:

As much as I hate it, that's what I gotta start doing again. That and quit smoking.

By J on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 11:17 am:

Czarina,though I have had those same feelings about my s/o,it's better now for the last almost 6 years,I meant George my first husband and the biggest mistake of my life(that's saying alot where my life is concerned).Weren't you at that New Years party when I flipped out and ripped into him when he got upset because I was standing on my head with a dress on? I have asthma and can't run too far and it's too hot now anyway,but am forcing myself to use my exercise bike.

By Nate on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 11:24 am:

if you hate running, don't run.

you are your body. don't let your ego tell you otherwise.

By Czarina on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 11:55 am:

I feel kinda left out.My knees are in good shape.
    I prefer tennis or racquet ball to running.I enjoy them more.I did take a big dive,right onto my right shoulder on the tennis court,a few months ago.It was bad,people came running over to see if I was okay.I was in too much pain to be embarrased.I just wanted them to go away,so I could lick my wounds in private.

J,I will NEVER forget the sight of you standing on your head,with your dress falling over your head,and those big clunky platform shoes waving in the breeze.It was priceless!{J is all legs,long skinny legs,so she looked really cute}

Hal,you're not a coward.Relationships are hard.No one wants to be alone.When you are ready,you'll be able to make the break and walk away without bitterness.

By patrick on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 11:59 am:

why did they lie to me hal. How do you explain the funny things i can do with my elbows and the extended bend of my knee? I realize there is no such thing as the "double joint" per se...a euphamism for something else...but i can gross people out with my knees and elbows.

By Czarina on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 12:13 pm:

I know your mom is proud.

By Hal on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 12:36 pm:

Its a loose joint, there really is no such thing as having double-jointed elbows or knees or hips or shoulders or anything like that. (Yes Nate I've seen the DoubleJoint, I've even seen the Triple one, its all about the papers.)

No Patrick, I always though it was weird too. I had an ex girlfriend who was a swimmer who could clasp her hands together in front of her and rotate them up and over her head till she was touching the small of her back and never let them go. It was fucking creepy, but she was a damn good swimmer. No double joints, just loose ones.

By Spider on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 12:43 pm:

Hal, you are correct.

It's hard to be correct and be alone in your correctness. Think of the Asch experiment.

In 11th grade, my pre-cal class tried to convince me the color blue does not exist in nature. Come ON.

By Nate on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 01:03 pm:

spider, you are correct.

so was your pre-cal class.

light does not exist in wavelengths between 400 and 500 nm.

By Hal on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 01:43 pm:

Nature heh heh... I can prove the color blue exists in nature, drink the right chemicals and when mother "nature" comes a callin you'll be pissin blue.

Swimmers got them strong thighs too, nothing like having your hips crushed by a pair of naked swimmer thighs during sex. You know when they come, you can feel your hips pop and crackle.

By Nate on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 01:51 pm:

do microwaves have color?

i guess there is a point here.

it's not the object or the light it reflects, but the way our brain interprets what our eye is receiving.

so color only exists in the mind.

which, you might argue, is part of nature.

how geeky is this?

By Spider on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 02:09 pm:

We weren't talking about wavelengths.

I was saying things like bluebirds, robins' eggs, blue flowers, EYES, the SKY....

They were saying things like, yeah, but those are purple, my eyes are really green, and the sky is only blue because of pollution in the atmosphere.

And I was thinking things like, you're so full of shit your eyes are brown, but saying things like, so are you saying the sky was RED a thousand years ago? Morons! Robins' eggs are BLUE. YES THEY ARE.

The point of my story was not whether they were correct, which they weren't, but that I refused to give in to their lies.

However, last week my roommate tried to persuade me that actors actually have sex during R-rated love scenes and I gave in because I was tired of arguing with her. She likes to call me naive when I disagree with her, regardless of the topic at hand, and I was getting pissed off. I was less than enthusiastic in my concession, however, so I can still feel like I didn't give in.

By Spider on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 02:10 pm:

And I love geeky arguments. Bring them on!

By patrick on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 02:11 pm:

heat

color exists in temp.

ultimately i suppose its all brain's interpretation.

tungsten...i.e your average table lamp is 3200Kelvins ...where as daylight or flash/strobes are around 5600k.

blue exists upwards of 8000k

By patrick on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 02:15 pm:

tell your roomate your Hollywood inside source says they DO NOT have sex during R rated scenes...they often are wearing under wear and genital sacks. but im pretty sure some men get erections. The movie we did this past weekend, the lead actress was so incredibly hot.... and the lead actor commented to me "damn shes hot...fucking A, that martini scene drove me nuts" i.e. heavy kissing & groping. I don't see how some couldnt get turned on, even if they are working.

By Nate on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 02:19 pm:

there are R-rated sex scenes where the actors really had sex, though.

i'm sure of it.

By Spider on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 02:31 pm:

Yeah, I thought I had heard that "the cook, his wife, the thief, and her lover" or whatever the hell it was called had such a scene...

But she was talking every scene. She was wrong. I should have stuck to my guns.

This is making me really mad now that I'm thinking about it.

By Nate on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 02:39 pm:

you should just make something up from your sphere of knowledge. she'll have to take your word.

By Spider on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 02:55 pm:

Well, considering I had pornography strewn around my house when I was growing up, I have to say that my sphere of knowledge is larger than hers, at least.

Don't make fun of me.

By patrick on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 03:05 pm:

really? wow.

By Nate on Friday, May 25, 2001 - 03:18 pm:

i'm not making fun of you.

i'm talking about subject confidence. maybe sphere of knowledge was a bad term.

take something that you have a lot of subject confidence in, and she has next to none. she's going to take your word on whatever you say. why wouldn't she? where's her basis for disagreement?

now craft some exqusite fantasy within your subject. tell her about it. she'll never know.

and you can be smug.

and you can bust a brastrap if you ever hear her repeating it to someone.

By J on Tuesday, May 29, 2001 - 03:44 pm:

I knew I was going somewhere with the New Year party, then I spaced it out,but what I was getting at Hal,was when I was standing on my head my ex-husband was freaking out and telling me to stop it,to have some respect for myself.That's when I got mad and started ripping on him,and I started out by saying"how can I respect myself when I'm married to a piece of shit like you?".I hope you did it Hal,it's a matter of respecting yourself:)

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact