Being on fire.

sorabji.com: What are you afraid of?: Being on fire.
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Oswald Jr. on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 12:18 pm:

So I was trying to cook which is always like a real mistake and I go to lite the pilot on the stove. And it does not lite. So like a big dummy I put my head down there to see whats wrong and then poof all of a suden it catches. And now ladys and gents your Captains hair is on fire! But Auntie Crimson puts this towel over my head real super fast and every things ok. I had to get a hair cut this morning tho. It is not so much hair cut off but just enuf to piss me off at my own dumb behavoire I lost some of the ends that was dyed and I hate that cause they looked cool. If I was alone I could have caught fire for real and it burn out of control. Thats real scary.

By Spider on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 12:44 pm:

Oswald, you've been initiated into an elite group of people. Greek and Roman literature is full of legends of great heroes being seen with their heads on fire before they achieved their greatness.

Livy said that the young slave-boy Servius Tullius was seen asleep with fire round his head. This was taken by Tanaquil, the queen, as a sign that he would become king. Plutarch writes that the same thing happened to the young Romulus (founder of Rome). In Homer's Iliad, flames are seen round the head of Achilles.

You're pretty special!

By Hal on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 12:56 pm:

Or you just lit your head on fire.

No worries Oswald, I've set myself on fire many a time. Somtimes it was on pourpose sometimes not. The point is, shit happens, and sometimes its on fire when it does.

By Nate on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 01:09 pm:

once when i was a prep TA for a chem class i doused my hands in ethyl alcohol and lit them.

i ran through the adjoining freshman bio class with my hands blazing, screaming like a madman.

it's hard to understand the free reign i was given back then.

i'm glad your head is ok, ozzy.

By Oswald Jr. on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 01:10 pm:

Thanx Spider. Its cooler to think of my self as a Greek or Roman hero than just a plain old dumbshit.

By Oswald Jr. on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 01:17 pm:

I did'nt see your post Nate but thanx for saying your glad my head is ok. Which is is. But the hair is shortar and I was trying to grow it long dammit. I tell my kid bro. about it and he thinks God was trying to tell me some thing but we dont know what. God was probly saying don't stick your head down by the pilot lite you damn fool.

By semillama on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 02:10 pm:

One of my crew members somehow set a camp stove on fire.

While it was sitting in the back of the rental van. That was pretty funny.

In hindsight.

By J on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 03:56 pm:

When I was about 13 the boys in the neighborhood use to make match guns,while walking home down the alley from school I got into my usual name calling with them,turned around and started toward home,all of a sudden I hear all these footsteps running after me in the gravel,(I had my hair up)the assholes were all hitting me in the back of the head and I was trying to fight them off,they had set my hair on fire with the match guns,did they ever pay.

By Hal on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 04:06 pm:

How does one make a match gun?

NOTE: This is for pure educational questioning.

That and what kinda stupid fucks do things like that, I mean when we were a kid we use to throw rotten crab apples at each other, but then again it was at each other, we'd stop when cars went by and we never threw them at people who weren't playing the game with us...

Fuck other peoples children.

By cyst on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 04:48 pm:

By J on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 06:22 pm:

I see they are on tour,minus Steve Perry,they made the match guns with wooden clothes hangers,rubberbands and matches,I don't know how.

By wisper on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 06:35 pm:

one day i stuck a Pop-Tart in my toaster (chocolate fudge, btw) and walked away. Slightly sooner than i expected, i smelled cooking pop tart. Turned around and there was a foot and a half bright blue flame shooting out of said toaster, burning the cabinetry.
    i said: "oh....fire."
    and dumped my can of Pepsi on it, an walked away.

See, if there had been a spider on the wall instead of a flaming kitchen device, i would have run screaming. That really sums me up right there.

the moral is, always carry Pepsi.

(p.s. a few years ago i saw Dave Barry perform the same 'flaming poptart' trick on Letterman. It's not funny, Barry. It's not fucking funny)

By Dougie on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 07:03 pm:

Journey is one of my guilty pleasures. I hate the song Don't Stop Belivin' though.

We used to make tennis ball cannons from tennis ball cans taped to a broomstick. You'd use about 5 or 6 cans which had their tops & bottoms cut out with a can opener, and then the bottom can would be a beer can which you opened with a bottle opener in 3 or 4 places on the top, and poked a hole in the side near the bottom. All these would be taped together to line up, then taped to the broomstick. You'd pour a shitload of lighter fluid in the beer can, load a tennis ball in, light it, and damn if that fucker didn't take off.

By agatha on Thursday, June 14, 2001 - 09:59 pm:

once i electrocuted myself for what seemed an eternity, trying to wire my dollhouse with small lights. it was nuts.

By Czarina on Friday, June 15, 2001 - 01:13 am:

I have this psychotic patient at the facility I work at,and she has set herself on fire twice.The most recent episode was about a month ago.She's big,like 350 lbs,and they couldn't handle her in ICU,[because of her psychoticsm],so they sent her to us.But we aren't a medical facility,so we couldn't handle her medical needs.Fortunately,we were able to ship her to a medical psych unit.

Anyway,she's now back at my facility,and she wanted to have a 1:1 talk with me the other night.So I go into her room,and ask her whats up?And she is talking about how the neighborhood people taunt her,calling her devil woman,hoo-doo,voo-doo queen,etc.And she doesn't like it.

So I felt that a dose of reality orientation was in order.[after all,this was her second time setting herself on fire].

So I point out,that setting one's self on fire,is a rather strange thing to do,and it scares people.I then mention,that,as a matter of fact,she is the only person I have ever known,who has done this.

As she contemplates this,I get my nerve up,and ask her,"doesn't it hurt to set yourself on fire?"

[I always assumed that people were in such a deep psychosis,when they do these things,that they did not feel the pain.]

She looks up at me,like I am the crazy one,and replies,"Shit yeah!It hurts like a mother-fucker".

Go figure.

By semillama on Friday, June 15, 2001 - 09:26 am:

Sounds like a candidate for SHC.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact