moving

sorabji.com: What are you afraid of?: moving
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spider on Wednesday, July 25, 2001 - 09:38 am:

I move on Friday. FRIDAY.

I have packed nothing yet. NOTHING.

I'm scared. Hold me.

By J on Wednesday, July 25, 2001 - 11:08 am:

Sending hugs to Spider,I feel your pain.

By TBone on Wednesday, July 25, 2001 - 11:11 am:

Good luck Spider. Many hugs.

By patrick on Wednesday, July 25, 2001 - 11:29 am:

i won't give you hugs.

but rather a swift kick in the ass and a blown kiss to get fucking packing...eh spider!!!!!

By Spider on Wednesday, July 25, 2001 - 11:42 am:

I know! I'm so bad!

But I figure since I'm just moving across town, I can just shove things in random boxes, schlep them over to the new apartment in messy fashion, and then deal with straightening things out when I set my stuff up. Ya know?

I plan on getting all the shite in my room shoved into boxes tonight. Tomorrow Rainey's sister and her friend Lea are coming to help us, and they're both obsessive-compulsive and just love to pack things up and clean things out, so I imagine most of the work will be done when I get home tomorrow night. Then, the movers aren't coming Friday until 1, and I have the day off, so I have all morning to finish up then. So I'll be cool, right?

Right?

By semillama on Wednesday, July 25, 2001 - 12:03 pm:

there is no better friend than an obsessive-compulsive when you are moving.

My bro's in the same boat. He won't get rid of anything, either. Recently, he picked up a 500 album record collection, for free I shit thee not, from some dude's basement. Apparently the sleeves were mildewed and he didn't want them anymore. I need to get and touch with him and find out what he got.

By Hal on Wednesday, July 25, 2001 - 12:48 pm:

Good luck Spider, enjoy the new place.

By pez on Wednesday, July 25, 2001 - 03:04 pm:

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

By Daniel ssss on Thursday, July 26, 2001 - 12:13 am:

A good hot sauce or a tablespoon of metamucil usually is all it takes to get me moving. "Pack that shit in that box" takes on new meaning.

Moved four times in last decade, three in last five years, two in last three years, and could not have done it without help of a lady whose boxes I have now stored in my garage...I was in Aruba for the last two moves, at least up to the week preceding the move.

Get lots of help, the more chaotic the better, and order lots of chinese food.

By Wisper on Thursday, July 26, 2001 - 01:05 am:

yes...chinese food gooooood...

By Spider on Thursday, July 26, 2001 - 09:05 am:

Got most of my room packed up. Mariel and Lea came last night around 9 and worked until 1 putting our living room shite into boxes. Lots and lots of books.

I'm so glad I'm moving. This morning traffic on the Beltway was backed up all the way to my onramp from Kenilworth Ave. It's only been that bad maybe two other times since I've lived here, but I was reminded how good I'll have it in my new place. I'll live on the same street I work (though there's about 5 miles between home and work). Last night, I drove there from work to sign the lease, and I got there in ten minutes. TEN MINUTES. This morning it took me an hour and 15 minutes to get here from my current apartment.

We'll have a view of East-West Hwy and the Metro station. This makes me happy - I love living near train tracks. These are nice, too.

I'll have a big bedroom with a walk-in closet. Lots of cabinet space in the kitchen. Lots of storage closets. Nice carpets. Sprinklers in every room (good for me because I'm afraid of fire). Alarm system in the apartment itself. I won't have to go to the post office to pick up missed UPS deliveries anymore. There's a pool and a gym and a dry cleaners on site, grocery store next door, pharmacy across the street, and an Einstein's bagels catty-corner to us. Not to mention the Metro station right there! Right across the street! I can take my car in to get fixed, and I'll still be able to get to work without a problem.

This rocks.

By Spider on Thursday, July 26, 2001 - 09:07 am:

Heh - I'll live on the same street where I work. Or something. I'm not a hooker, I promise.

By semillama on Thursday, July 26, 2001 - 10:43 am:

I am jealous of your digs.

By patrick on Thursday, July 26, 2001 - 11:27 am:

sell your car. dc metro is amongst the best in my opinion.

By Spider on Thursday, July 26, 2001 - 11:29 am:

By Spider on Thursday, July 26, 2001 - 11:32 am:

Can't, Patrick. It will take 10-20 minutes to get to and from work driving. It would take about 45 minutes on Metro because of the shape of the red line. I don't want to take a bus, neither.

By patrick on Thursday, July 26, 2001 - 12:01 pm:

oh i see, you would probably have to go into to town, to get back out where you need to go eh?

By semillama on Thursday, July 26, 2001 - 12:15 pm:

Eh. Not sure I would like living in the same building with all those people. Too much like the dorms.

I may live in a hovel, but there are big trees in the yard, lots of birds and squirrels, and cats to chase the birds and squirrels. And there are only four apts. in my building.

By Spider on Thursday, July 26, 2001 - 12:52 pm:

DORMS, you say? NO sir. They are NICE.

I like typing in caps every once in a while.

By patrick on Thursday, July 26, 2001 - 01:01 pm:

high rise apartments like that scare me.

fires, earthquakes....all spell disaster in those types of buildings.

By Nate on Thursday, July 26, 2001 - 01:11 pm:

that looks like hell, spider.

By Spider on Thursday, July 26, 2001 - 01:20 pm:

Y'all are just jealous. It's very nice inside. I'll take pictures and send them to you, if you'd like.

By Nate on Thursday, July 26, 2001 - 01:26 pm:

i dunno, spider. i don't think it beats a little cabin in the woods with a trout stream in the backyard.

i'm sure i'm biased, but the tallest things i want in a 20 mile radius of where i sleep are redwoods.

By Spider on Thursday, July 26, 2001 - 01:30 pm:

I live near DC. There are no little cabins with trout streams here. I'd rather live in a white-washed stone cottage with red cattle grazing on the misty mountain behind me on the Isle of Skye but I can't. Nate, you come to DC and you'll see how nice this is.

By Nate on Thursday, July 26, 2001 - 02:02 pm:

i've been to DC.

unless you mean, come to DC and see how nice your place is.

i'll do that.

since you won't come to new orleans.

By Spider on Thursday, July 26, 2001 - 02:09 pm:

Um.

By cyst on Thursday, July 26, 2001 - 02:10 pm:

d.c. is fucking beautiful.

I'd rather live in the city than drive to it five days a week. but I'm just biased. I hate traffic.

I'm fine with having the rainforests and volcanoes and and alpine lakes and islands and old-growth forests and sea water and rivers as far as 40 miles away as long as I can walk to the grocery store. I think the little birds and trout are happier without my car's exhaust, anyway.

By Nate on Thursday, July 26, 2001 - 03:12 pm:

i'm happier without the exhaust of 6 million neighbors with their 8 million cars.

By patrick on Thursday, July 26, 2001 - 04:20 pm:

im sure nate exhaust is plenty enough to warrant countryside exile

By patrick on Thursday, July 26, 2001 - 04:20 pm:

sorry that was retarded

By cyst on Thursday, July 26, 2001 - 04:30 pm:

I'm glad people like me stay in the city, sad that a million others have chosen to buy big houses on medium-sized pieces of property all parceled out in what used to be open fields, evergreen forests, berry farms, etc. sprawl is just about the ugliest thing there is.

By Spider on Thursday, July 26, 2001 - 04:45 pm:

I think I'm a bitch.

I just got a phone call from my roommate. She and her sister and friend had spent all day packing and moving stuff to our new apt., and now she called and asked me if I wanted to meet them for dinner after they went to church, which gets out at six. They wanted to meet them somewhere in DC, and all I could think of was how that would mean that I would have to stay here for, like, an extra 45 minutes and where would we meet? Nowhere convenient (for me). So I said no, we'll just meet up at home after 6. Never mind that they've been moving all day and maybe I could make a little sacrifice and do something they want to do. Shit.

By Spider on Thursday, July 26, 2001 - 04:48 pm:

I called her back. I'm meeting them after church. I feel better now.

By Cat on Thursday, July 26, 2001 - 04:57 pm:

I'd rather live in the bush with lots of gum trees and breezes or live in a spanking new apartment like Spider's right in the middle of the city. Either or is fine. But suburbia would kill me.

Are you going to get a priest to bless your new apartment, Spider? My parents did that with their house and I was wondering if it was an American Catholic custom as well.

By Cat on Thursday, July 26, 2001 - 04:59 pm:

And you're not a bitch, Spider. You were just being honest about what you wanted to do. That's allowed, you know sweetie.

By heather on Thursday, July 26, 2001 - 05:33 pm:

exactly.

especially if you see your roomate all the time [uh, yeah, i know] and you're moving to the same place.

you shouldn't feel bad if you don't want to go.

By semillama on Friday, July 27, 2001 - 08:51 am:

yeah.

I agree with Cyst and Cat on where to live too, except substitute "maple trees" for "Gum trees" and "lake shore" for "bush."

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact