the cure

sorabji.com: What are you afraid of?: the cure
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By wisper on Sunday, August 12, 2001 - 01:44 pm:

i don't mean the band.
    i mean the cure for cancer.

something potentialy more destructive to our civilization than any bomb.
    it's scary, really.

By Nate on Sunday, August 12, 2001 - 03:58 pm:

why?

By bell_jar on Sunday, August 12, 2001 - 04:52 pm:

a girl in my hometown was diagnosed with some kind of brain cancer, this was about a year after my mom got sick. they said she would die. my grandmother told me a few months ago that this girl is now cancer free.

my grandmother and her church are convinced it was because of all of the praying they did.

i guess they just didn't pray hard enough for my mom.

fuckers.

By wisper on Sunday, August 12, 2001 - 04:54 pm:

because we won't let people die anymore.

By wisper on Sunday, August 12, 2001 - 05:03 pm:

okay, before i start sounding worse than Hitler, just consider it for a moment.

They cure cancer. The thousands of people that die from it every year don't die that year, or any year after that. It would send the population spiraling out of control, among other things.

By bell_jar on Sunday, August 12, 2001 - 05:16 pm:

no offense, but that's stupid.

people die of other things besides cancer.

i'm not scared to die, and i believe that we shoudl all accpet that we're going to die. however, i don't think we should avoid finding a cure for something as horrific and painful as cancer.

By semillama on Monday, August 13, 2001 - 08:46 am:

Plus, just because someone is cured of cancer doesn't guarantee that they will die old in bed. They could walk out of the hospital and get hit by a truck.

By Hal on Monday, August 13, 2001 - 10:16 am:

Granted I don't agree with wisper, seeing as there seems to be a short history of Cancer in my family. But I do understand where she is coming from.

Cancer is not the only means that nature has taken to ensure evolution, and so far she seems to be having some trouble. I mean seriously the human race aside from out tech, and our achivements is de-evolving folks. What have we had in the last 200 years that nature has just up and said Fuck you and killed a whole bunch of us off leaving the ones that survived more, intelligent, more resistant, more something???

Yeah sure we have, vaccinations, we have innoculations, we have means of preventing deadly bugs, but then again we are also over populating this planet. I don't fear death, it will come just like it will to everyone.

By Nate on Monday, August 13, 2001 - 11:49 am:

evolution is a sham.

By bell_jar on Monday, August 13, 2001 - 12:14 pm:

evolution is ham

By wisper on Monday, August 13, 2001 - 12:34 pm:

okay, in a desperate attempt to validate my point, please substitute the word 'cancer' with any natural mass destructive force or virus of your own choosing.

thank you

By Nate on Monday, August 13, 2001 - 12:52 pm:

small pox? wasn't it small pox that killed more people in the 1900's than AIDs and all wars combined?

By Nate on Monday, August 13, 2001 - 12:53 pm:

oh yeah, and kiss most people over 30 goodbye!

By Nate on Monday, August 13, 2001 - 12:53 pm:

damn healthcare advances. we'll have to go back to getting 14 year olds pregnant to have successful progenation of the species!

By patrick on Monday, August 13, 2001 - 01:07 pm:

are you volunteering?

By TBone on Monday, August 13, 2001 - 01:31 pm:

I think controlling the birth rate would be more successful and seems a lot more pleasant to me than focusing on maintaining or elevating the death rate.

Hell, I don't wanna die.

By Nate on Monday, August 13, 2001 - 01:37 pm:

don't worry, tbone. you've got a solid 5-10 more years on your lifespan.

By patrick on Monday, August 13, 2001 - 02:02 pm:

By pez on Monday, August 13, 2001 - 02:34 pm:

i don't want to die either.

what i'd like is a cure for rhemitoid arthritis. it's not life-threatening, but it sure is scary.

not that i have it, yet.

By Hal on Monday, August 13, 2001 - 02:39 pm:

I do.... Fuck, yet another thing to brighten my day, and its nice and humid out today so its acting up again too.

By heather on Monday, August 13, 2001 - 02:41 pm:

don't worry

whatever we cure, there will be something to take it's place.

hal, the ones who live aren't 'more' anything. they're just not dead.

By pez on Monday, August 13, 2001 - 02:46 pm:

don't die! i'll kill you if you die.

By Czarina on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 02:21 am:

I'm a fatalist by nature.I realize this is contradictory,considering my work in the healthcare field.

But I am a very strong evolutionist.This is logical.It can be proven.It is "hands on" science.

I agree with Whisper.

On a natural selection basis,many people shouldn't survive to reproduce.Adaptable,utilizable traits,should win out.But,with modern science,nature has been thrown a loop.

Don't misunderstand me.I wouldn't want to be the one who said,"Nope,you can't live,your genetic traits,just aren't beneficial."

There are a plethora of maladies,that we now have treatments for,that prolong the life,and therefore reproductive capabilities,of genetic errors.

Diabetis,high blood pressure,organ transplants,the list goes on and on.On a "selection" basis,these folks shouldn't survive to reproduce,and pass on these genes.

But I'm not man/woman enough to be the one to say,"Nope,no insulin for you today."

For Christs sake,what if that was my grandma,who needed medical attention?

There is no easy answer to this dilema.Science is here.The break throughs are phenonimal.

But the recessive fatalist in me,keeps questioning:

"How far can we push nature,before nature pushes back?"

By pez on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 02:38 am:

we all know the problems. we all know the solutions. but most people either don't want to participate in the solutions or think their actions won't help the cause too much. "it's not us, it's THEM."

without the miracles of medicine, i wouldn't be typing on this computer, because my mother would never have lived to become pregnant with me. or if she had, we both would have died because the doctor wouldn't have known how to do a cesarean.

we can't throw knowledge away if we have it. what do we say to the hysterical mother holding her dying child?

By wisper on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 02:45 am:

i also love the people who can't have children, then go get pumped full of fertility drugs, have 8 unhealthy premature kids, and say it's "gods will"
    they're super.

birth control + water supply
    birth control + water supply

By pez on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 03:02 am:

what about airborne birth control?

because either people would buy bottled water or they'd boil it before consumption.

aeugh. tired.

i'll prolly never have any kids, because (1) i'll never find a suitable male to take part and (2) it just sounds so messy and unpleasant i'd rather leave the breeding to other people.

which brings me to another question: what about mass sterilizations in particular ethnic groups such as the tibetians (by the chinese)?

By semillama on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 09:05 am:

How about genetic engineering, so that people don't become fertile until oh, say, 25?

And give us a set of wings while you're at it.

By dave. on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 09:33 am:

how about steering the earth into the sun?

By patrick on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 11:16 am:

how about some barbituates dave?

By wisper on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 11:34 am:

how about those Mets?

By Antigone on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 11:40 am:

By Hal on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 11:59 am:

How about an avocado?

By J on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 12:02 pm:

How bout them dog kickers?

By Czarina on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 12:05 pm:

How bout you,me an avacado,a colonoscopy tube and the dog kickers?

By J on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 12:14 pm:

Isn't barium used for a colonoscopy? I think a clean colon is a healthy colon.So how bout me,you.an avacado,a colonoscopy,dog kickers and a enema?

By Czarina on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 12:17 pm:

Well,if you were gonna use the barium,you'd probably need to include a jack-hammer,in your list of supply's.That shit hardens up like cement.

By Nate on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 12:32 pm:

we don't need to go to the barium enemas. goddamnit you people have no compassion.

By Gaia on Thursday, November 8, 2001 - 01:18 pm:

CANCER - A MEDICAL CON TRICK

Cancer is the medical con trick of the age. We all know someone who is supposed to have died of cancer. What we dont know is that wheneve there has been over prescription of steroid,anti inflammatory or broncho dilators causing collapse of the immune system due to over oxygenation the cause of death is usually said to be cancer.

It is a con and a lie. We are dying in hundreds of thousands because of over indulgence in unnecessary drugs. Basic hygene, good food, no smoking , no alcohol, minimal sex and regualar exercise will ensure a life span of at least 80.

We shold ban all chemical cleaners, airsprays, perfumes,scented soaps and washing additives. Ban all additives to food, dont ever eat frozen seafood or frozen pork. Do not travel in airplanes or above 40 mph.

there is still time to save yourself.

By Xyrea on Friday, November 9, 2001 - 02:12 pm:

"Minimal sex"? I'm going to die young and happy. Greasy food, alcohol, healthy food, fratrinization with the opposite sex and all sorts of laughter and fun when I want it. Why cut yourself off from the joy of living so you can live longer?

By semillama on Friday, November 9, 2001 - 06:43 pm:

Why live to 80 if all you do is drive slow, don't fuck and piss and moan about organic foods all the time?

By B. on Friday, November 9, 2001 - 10:33 pm:

Why live to 30 if all you do is drive slow, don't fuck, and piss and moan about organic foods all the time?

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact