a slippery slope

sorabji.com: What are you afraid of?: a slippery slope
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By semillama on Monday, July 15, 2002 - 09:37 pm:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/
    news?tmpl=

story&ncid=578&e=1&cid=578&u=/nm/
    20020715/ts_nm/bush_homeland_dc_3

Cut and paste folks.

Add that to the new TIPS program (Terrorism
    Information and Prevention System), which
    enlists your friendly neighborhood postal
    workers and others to spy on you.

Which risk is greater, terrorist attacks or an
    environment of reduced civil liberties and
    rampant mistrust of our fellow citizens?
    Meanwhile, King George II promises to slap
    the wrists of his friends for being dumb
    enough to get caught bilking the public. Even
    His majesty got away with that one, silly boys.

Soon, the barbed wire fence and ditches will
    go up around Dearborn, as it becomes oour
    latest ethnic detention facility - I mean,
    "ongoing conference of all Arabic people in
    America on how to support the President."

It makes me want to vomit.

By Kazoointoit on Monday, July 15, 2002 - 10:47 pm:

"Which risk is greater, terrorist attacks or an
    environment of reduced civil liberties and
    rampant mistrust of our fellow citizens?"

The risk is the same. We'll keep terrorists from coming in while we keep creating them here, mistrust leading to fear, fear to anger, anger to hate, hate to...haven't we seen this enough?

My bestfriend lives in Dearborn. She tells this story better than I do, so here goes:

On September 12 I was eating dinner in a suburb outside of Dearborn, a man at the bar started to talk with his cronies, and I paraphrase, about how "we" need to "poison the water over there for the next 1,000 years. Those kids are only taught by their parents, wipe them out." and that he had heard about some A-rabs in Dearborn cheering when the news broke while some "Americans" were in the store.

And, now I don't paraphrase, because this is etched into my mind forever, that he would like to "go down to Dearborn where all the A-rabs are with (his) 12-guage shotgun." Against every bone in my body urging me otherwise, I left the bar. Not before I looked him square in the eye and saw that he is what I fear in America, the violence, isolation and ignorance WITHIN our borders.

By J on Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 02:12 am:

I hear you Sem,my husband told me about the T.I.P.S program yesterday,he heard about it on a talk radio show and I did a search for it yesterday and could find nothing,early this a.m.,I did see it on Drudge,but a couple of hours later it was gone.I wanted to post about it too,but couldn't find anything to put up here,and it is so scarey,I don't like it,but after 9/11 you can expect to lose even more rights.It starts out a search for terrorist,but God help you if the cable guy( now working for T.I.P.S.) sees that bong on your coffee table.You can believe me when I tell you this reminds me of the Hitler Youth Core,and it will be used against American citizens.Can you find a link about that T.I.P.S. program Sem?

By J on Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 02:13 am:

The link you posted is gone.

By semillama on Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 09:01 am:

give me a sec...

By semillama on Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 09:05 am:

By semillama on Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 09:08 am:

By patrick on Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 11:47 am:

i read an extensive article in the LA times this weekend about Bush's stocktrade with Harken.

essentially the SEC didnt have enough evidence to link Bush's sale with the subsequent drop in price. A short time after he sold, the stock tanked and then rebounded 20% the next day to previous levels. The stock eventually tanked a month later but that was the beginning of the Gulf War and many energy companies, as I understand it, took it in the ass then.

In situations like that you have demonstrate they had inside knowledge and the subsequent sale was a result of such inside knowledge and there wasn't a link to be found.

I think its safe to say an oil man/politician from Texas is about as trustworthy as a 16 year boy old in the Playboy mansion.

But Im not convinced at this time its something of importance, and for dems to try and hang him for would be a mistake.

Cheney and Haliburton smell much like a rat than Bush in corporate fraud.

By patrick on Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 11:55 am:

i read an extensive article in the LA times this weekend about Bush's stocktrade with Harken.

essentially the SEC didnt have enough evidence to link Bush's sale with the subsequent drop in price. A short time after he sold, the stock tanked and then rebounded 20% the next day to previous levels. The stock eventually tanked a months later but that was the beginning of the Gulf War and many energy companies, as I understand it, took it in the ass then.

In situations like that the SEC lawyers have to demonstrate they had inside knowledge and the subsequent sale was a result of such inside knowledge and there wasn't a link to be found. It was like he sold it for dirt. He actually had a buyer pursue him.

I think its safe to say an oil man/politician from Texas is about as trustworthy as a 16 year boy old in the Playboy mansion.

But Im not convinced at this time its something of importance, and for dems to try and hang him for would be a mistake. I think they know this and are letting it go.

Cheney and Haliburton smell much like a rat than Bush in corporate fraud.

By semillama on Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 12:23 pm:

I agree with you there, although Bush did sell
    his stocks two months after signing an
    agreement that he wouldn't seel his stocks for
    6 months.

Where's Ken Starr when you need him? That
    would be awesome.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact