Predictions of the End of the World

sorabji.com: What are you afraid of?: Predictions of the End of the World
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Armageddononline on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 10:48 am:

Many people believe that the Bible says the Battle of Armageddon, the Antichrist and the return of Jesus will occur in 2007. On this page I elaborate on this prediction and outline the reasons why.
    The Scenario
    The war will start in 2007. The antichrist will stand in the Jewish Temple of Jerusalem and declare that he is God. The Bible calls this the 'abomination of desolation'. Shortly after this the Arab nations will unite against Israel. Egypt will lead Syria, Lebanon, Iraq, and Jordan - every nation with a border with Israel - against it. Russia and its allies will join on the side of the Arabs. During the fight the US and Russia will use nuclear weapons against each other. The war will leave 2 billion dead.
    The Evidence
    Don't feel the need to read all of the passages, I've highlighted key quotes in bold. There are many other passages I could have used but these illustrate the point well.
    When will it happen?
    This is a quote from Mark 13:14-28:
    But when you see the abomination of desolation standing where it should not be then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains. And let him who is on the housetop not go down, or enter in, to get anything out of his house; and let him who is in the field not turn back to get his cloak. But woe to those who are with child and to those who nurse babes in those days! But pray that it may not happen in the winter. For those days will be a time of tribulation such as has not occurred since the beginning of creation which God created, until now, and never shall. And unless the Lord had shortened those days, no life would have been saved; but for the sake of the elect whom He chose, He shortened the days. And then if any man shall say to you, Lo, here [is] Christ; or, lo, [he is] there; believe [him] not: For false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce, if [it were] possible, even the elect. But take ye heed: behold, I have foretold you all things. But in those days, after that tribulation, the sun shall be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, And the stars of heaven shall fall, and the powers that are in heaven shall be shaken. And then shall they see the Son of man coming in the clouds with great power and glory. And then shall he send his angels, and shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from the uttermost part of the earth to the uttermost part of heaven.
    The 'abomination of desolation' is the antichrist.
    The 'elect whom He chose' is the return of Jesus.
    The reference to those in Judea fleeing is because of the invasion.
    Continued:
    Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When her branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is near: So likewise ye, (Israel) when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.
    The fig tree is Israel. This is because in Jeremiah's prophecies he used 'Figs' as a symbol of the children of Israel. If figs are the children, Israel must be the father, the fig tree.
    'When her branch Is yet tender' means that Israel will still be a new state (it was founded in May 1948).
    'Putteth forth leaves' could mean when Israel recaptured all of Jerusalem in June 1967.
    'Summer is nigh' means that the end of the world is near.
    So soon after Israel takes Jerusalem the end of the world will occur. It says 'this generation shall not pass till all these tings be fulfilled'.
    A generation in the Bible is 40 years, so the end of the world will be 40 years after 1967: 2007.
    How will the war start?
    This passage suggests that the return of Jesus will shortly follow the start of war on Israel. Read this from Luke 21:20-24
    But when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then recognize that her desolation is at hand. Then let those in Judea flee to the mountains, and let those who are in the midst of the city depart, and let not those who are in the country enter the city; because these are the days of vengeance, in order that all things which are written may be fulfilled. Woe to those who nurse babes in those days; for there will be great distress upon the land, and wrath to this people, and they will fall by the edge of the sword, and will be led captive into all the nations; and Jerusalem will be trampled underfoot by the Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.
    This clearly refers to the destruction of Israel by 'surrounding armies'.
    Who will fight in the war?
    The attack is described in Daniel 11:40
    And at the end of time the king of the South will collide with him, and the king of the North will storm against him with chariots, with horsemen, and with many ships; and he will enter countries, overflow them, and pass through.
    The 'King of the South' are the Arab nations, the 'King of the North' is Russia. 'Him' refers to Israel, so the passage clearly describes an attack by these forces on Israel. It also shows how the 'end of time' will occur after this war.
    The nations involved are describe in Ezekiel 38: 5-7
    Persia, Ethiopia, and Libya with them; all of them with shield and helmet: Gomer, and all his bands; the house of Togarmah of the north quarters, and all his bands: [and] many people with thee. Be thou prepared, and prepare for thyself, thou, and all thy company that are assembled unto thee, and be thou a guard unto them.
    Persia is the site of Iran. Gomer and Togarmah are the sites of Turkey. All of these nations are Arab.
    What will the war be like?
    Revelation 9:13-16 states that the war will involve '200 million soldiers' and 'slay the third part of men.' This means that 2 billion (1/3 of the Earth's population) would die - a conceivable figure for a nuclear war. Such a war could use 200 million men.
    This is a key passage - Ezekiel 39: 1-6:
    Therefore, thou son of man, prophesy against Gog, and say, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I [am] against thee, O Gog, the chief prince of Meshech and Tubal: And I will turn thee back, and leave but the sixth part of thee, and will cause thee to come up from the north parts, and will bring thee upon the mountains of Israel: And I will smite thy bow out of thy left hand, and will cause thine arrows to fall out of thy right hand. Thou shalt fall upon the mountains of Israel, thou, and all thy bands, and the people that [is] with thee: I will give thee unto the ravenous birds of every sort, and [to] the beasts of the field to be devoured. Thou shalt fall upon the open field: for I have spoken [it], saith the Lord GOD. And I will send a fire on Magog, and among them that dwell carelessly in the isles: and they shall know that I [am] the LORD.
    It says all but a 'sixth part' of the invading army will be destroyed. Israel's army could not do this, but Israel is known to have nuclear weapons so these could be used against an invading force.
    Magog is Rusia. 'Fire on Magog' could easily be a nuclear strike. Those that 'dwell carelessly in the isles' could be referring to the US, as it is isolated geographically from other countries. This then suggests that there could be nuclear war between Russia and America.
    Many scriptures describe the sun and moon becoming dark shortly after the war, eg:
    Joel 3:14-15: The sun and the moon grow dark, and the stars lose their brightness
    Matthew 24:29 The sun will be darkened, the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from the sky
    Mark 13:24 But in those days, after that tribulation, The sun will be darkened, the moon will not give its light, and the stars will be falling from heaven
    This refers to the end of the world. The references to the sun going dark could be describing the Nuclear Winter scenario, where dust from nuclear wars blocks out the sun.
    Conclusion
    So that is the evidence. In 2007 the Battle of Armageddon will take place, there will be nuclear war and Jesus will return. However, some of these interpretations of the text are fairly loose, so if in doubt read through them again and make your own mind up. Whether you believe in this or not is largely a matter of faith, and either way, we will know in 5 years.

By Pug on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 11:01 am:

So, I take it you don't believe in The Rapture?
    Not like I'm taking sides, or anything...

By spunky on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 11:06 am:

Maybe he is post-tribulation.

By Pug on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 11:09 am:

Y'know----there are fifty-bazillion people interpreting the Bible this or that way----everyone's got some apocalyptic theory and half of 'em contradict each other----I guess you believe this Antichrist is on the scene now. Who do you think it might be?
    My major crab in using the Bible as a guideline for future history and anything else is Numbers 31:17-18, wherein it is said, "Now therefore kill every male among the little ones and kill every woman that hathknown a man by lying with him.
    "But all the women children that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves."
    Do you really want a book that says this to dictate your thoughts and actions?
    Jes' curious.

By The Rev. Puggins on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 11:13 am:

Yeah---I think it was the Calvary Chapel gang----most specifically the guy from Philadelphia, I heard going over the pre-trib/post-trib argument....
    He was Pre-Trib and fairly smug about it....."If I'm wrong, I can change my opinion----if YOU'RE wrong, you're wrong forever!"
    Not like it wasn't FUNNY-----just that sort of smugness tends to get under my skin.

By Nate on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 11:27 am:

hi pug!

the last Temple was destroyed a long time ago. kind of hard for the antichrist to stand somewhere that doesn't exist.

unless, of course, the Temple is rebuilt in the coming years.

which is unlikely. last time it took like 100 years to build.

By spunky on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 11:33 am:

By Spider on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 11:52 am:

I thought the Pope was the Antichrist.

THE POPE IS THE ANTICHRIIIIIIIIIST!!!!!!!!!1

By patrick on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 11:55 am:

hey spunk....go rent the movie Brazil. Go score some kind chiba , lock the door, tape your eyes open, get eri to put water drops in them and when its all over, ask youself "How could I have voted for such an evil man"

Did any one hear that response to a reported Rumsfield was giving a reported who asked what legal right we had to invade Iraq? He went on some tangent about what if we attacked the moon, or didnt attack the moon, then the people would say we didnt nothing, but not attacking the moon etc etc etc.

The guy is insane, he needs to be stopped.

By spunky on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 01:19 pm:

Again Patrick, this cannot be attributed to one man. This has been in the works for at least 60 years.

Besides, what does that have to do with the Bible?
    Are you now accusing Bush 43 of creating the Apocalyptic Predictions written, supposedly, over 2000 years ago?
    Did he set up Israel? Did he set up the Gaza Strip and the West Bank? Did he draft the Camp David accord??????

By spunky on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 01:22 pm:

PS, I love Brazil and Clock Work Orange.
    Funny you bring up Clock Work...
    Oh, and Brave New World.
    The point of that story was that reformation, re-education and negotiation do not work. The man was evil, regaurdless of how you treated him. He needed to be removed from Society.

Any parallels to that and the current issues????

By patrick on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 01:52 pm:

what?

By spunky on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 02:04 pm:

who?

By semillama on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 06:58 pm:

Didi you post that prophecy bs, spunky? I
    thought better of you, if so.

I stopped reading after the line that said
    Turkey and Iran are Arabic. Neither are Arabic.
    It's a common fallacy to assume all the
    people in the middle eastern countries are
    Arabic.

By patrick on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 07:20 pm:

Persian.

By spunky on Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 09:09 pm:

I do not beleive in any of the statements at the begining of this thread.
    Religion is either an opiate for the masses, crutch for the weak, or a tool for the oppressors.

By Cat on Wednesday, August 28, 2002 - 01:35 am:

Cock is the masturbation of the masses, wetter for the crutches, it's the tool of the ho-pressors.

By Pug Opiate of the Asses on Wednesday, August 28, 2002 - 06:21 pm:

I could stand some ho-pressing right about now....

By semillama on Wednesday, August 28, 2002 - 07:04 pm:

Hey Pug, what's up with all the folks down
    there? haven't heard from the Captain or
    Pilate for a while...not to mention Crimson.

By Believer on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 04:34 pm:

there is also a phrase that says the end is near when nets will be cast into the dead sea to draw fish. No life exists in the Dead Sea now because of the high salt content , but plans are underway to run a pipeline from either the Red Sea or the Mediterainean sea because the Dead Sea is actually drying up. When they do this there will be fish in the Dead Sea and fishermen will be able to draw fish .

By jack on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 05:46 pm:

there is also a phrase that says........

By V.v. on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 08:12 pm:

...we need more fresh water in the Dead Sea?.

By jack on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 09:44 pm:

wrong again.

there is also a phrase that says.......

By Spider on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 01:18 am:

....LO, WHEN THE EVENING STAR ENCIRCLES THE GREATE DIAPHANOUS ORB WHICH DOST ILLUMINE THE DUSKY FULIGINOSITY OF THE NIGHT, AND THE TWAIN IRRADIATE THE AIRY HEAVENS FOR ONE FORTNIGHT WITHOUT RESPITE, THEN SHALL THE PERILOUS LEVIATHAN THAT DOTH DWELL IN THE SUFFOCATING DEPTHS OF THE FETID SEA ARISE AND SWEEP O'ER THE LAND IN A SWATHE OF EXCRUTIATION AND EXCORIATION, WHICH SHALL LAST WITHOUT CEASING, EVEN UNTIL THE END OF TIME.

By dave. on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 02:50 am:

. . . aah n'kiseemantoom, ciikahikan asteew nistikwaanihk

By The Watcher on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 01:25 pm:

Ok????

I think it is time once again to remake my world. You will all please go to your respective corners of my mind and await rebuilding or elimination.

By Antigone on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 02:39 pm:

This thread need amagic swuare charm...

SATOR
    AREPO
    TENET
    OPERA
    ROTAS

I etched that particular magic square charm on the floor, beneath the vinyl flooring, in a neurology OR of a local hospital. (I was working as a carpet layer's helper one summer before I left for college.) Hopefully it's infiltrated the brains helpless of some hapless christians. :P

By V.v. on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 08:30 pm:

The Watcher,...cant agree more with you sir.

By The Watcher on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 06:04 pm:

Rats,,,

My brain's on fuzz.

The remaking of this world will just have to wait. As you were.

By V.v. on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 01:12 pm:

I think perhaps you need a place in the sun.(Andora?),twixt the borders of France and Spain,high in the mountains,no pollen,no taxes,no problems.

By The Watcher on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 02:58 pm:

I don't think there is any place that has "no problems".

By V.v. on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 08:00 pm:

well i wish to god there were.

By The Watcher on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 01:32 pm:

me too.

By V.v. on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 03:44 pm:

...one day perhaps,and i hope its not called "heaven" cuz in just not ready for that yet.,allthough i may reconsider my position 125 years from now.

By V.v. on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 03:59 pm:

...And dont you get fed up with people telling you "your lucky to be alive"...i know i do.,then i get them young punk kids at Walmart offering to put my goods in the trunk,cuz im an "older person"...,next time im wearing the brass knuckles.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact