RFID

sorabji.com: What are you afraid of?: RFID
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By spunky on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 03:06 pm:

Radio frequency identification (RFID) first appeared in tracking and access applications during the 1980s. These wireless AIDC systems allow for non-contact reading and are effective in manufacturing and other hostile environments where bar code labels could not survive. RFID has established itself in a wide range of markets including livestock identification and automated vehicle identification (AVI) systems because of its ability to track moving objects.

RFID combined with Smart Dust equals watching every move

By Antigone on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 04:01 pm:

Combine that with automatic face recognition and ubiquitous public cameras.

Are you still tolerant of the government being a morality police?

By spunky on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 04:43 pm:

morality police? no.
    That speaks to getting in trouble for sexual preferences and habits, drinking habits, etc.

what about security is morality?

tolerant? no
    Resigned.
    It's going to happen. Just like global government.

By Spider on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 04:49 pm:

Global government? WTF? This isn't Star Trek. That's just not going to happen.

By moonit on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 04:59 pm:

Ha.

By Antigone on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 05:14 pm:

"what about security is morality?"

Nothing, per se. But, with enough tracking ability, morality policing becomes possible.

Consider data mining rule, run against a database of everyone's movements, that tracks which people have stayed overnight in the same residence with a member of the same sex. Cross reference with known relations. Cross reference with known homosexuals. Check if multiple same sex overnight stays have happened within a certain time period. Output list to members of "neighborhood watch" groups for confirmation of suspected homosexual behavior.

"Security" enables control. Control can be abused.

"Global government? WTF? This isn't Star Trek. That's just not going to happen."

Russia wants to join the European Union. A superstate spanning two continents qualifies as a "world government" in my book.

By Spider on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 05:22 pm:

I thought Trace meant the whole planet governed by own body. That's what "global government" means to me, anyway.

By Antigone on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 05:24 pm:

We're inching towards it. The EU is just paving the way. That and NAFTA, along with other free trade zones.

By spunky on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 05:25 pm:

That's the direction we are headed in.

There will be a showdown between the EU and US.

Britain is trying to decide with home to side.

I was thinking of 3 super-states.
    EU
    Asia
    US

By Spider on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 05:35 pm:

"with whom" And yeah, right, like Britain would leave the EU and join the US in whatever super-nation it develops. That's just ridiculous.

So, what about South America? Africa? You think anyone other than Brazil wants to take on Brazil's problems? Or the AIDS problems in the Caribbean and African countries? Whatever global government takes over the planet takes on the good and bad of the member countries, and there are a lot of places in the world where the costs would surpass the benefits.

This whole idea is paranoid and ridiculous. Shit, Trace, if you were Christian, I'd bet you'd be one of those freaks ranting about bar codes and the mark of the Devil.

By Antigone on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 06:06 pm:

We don't need barcodes. We've got rfid tags. :)

By Spider on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 06:07 pm:

By Antigone on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 06:07 pm:

"You think anyone other than Brazil wants to take on Brazil's problems?"

Dunno. We seem awfully keen about taking on Columbia's problems these days, though.

By patrick on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 06:07 pm:

"Russia wants to join the European Union. A superstate spanning two continents qualifies as a "world government" in my book."

more like a balance of power.

By spunky on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 06:15 pm:

Member States

Belgium
    Denmark
    Germany
    Greece
    Spain
    France
    Ireland
    Italy
    Luxembourg
    the Netherlands
    Austria
    Portugal
    Finland
    Sweden
    United Kingdom

Candidate countries

Bulgaria
    Czech Republic
    Estonia
    Cyprus
    Latvia
    Lithuania
    Hungary
    Malta
    Poland
    Romania
    Slovenia
    Slovakia
    Turkey

Balance of power?????

By Antigone on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 06:17 pm:

Uh, considering we spend more on defense than the entire rest of the world combined....yep.

By Antigone on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 06:18 pm:

d00d. Estonia's going to join?

WE'RE SO FUCKED!

By spunky on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 06:19 pm:

manpower vs money

By patrick on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 06:20 pm:

The US has been asking for it hasnt it?

Due to our global dominance for over a century we would have had to expect this.

How are alliances formed? What propels them? Security and economics. Right? Who controls world security and economics? or at least who is the biggest player at the table?

Im not saying its right or wrong, but its not such a huge shocker.

I don't even know what you mean when you say "global governement" im not sure if you do either.

In your own view the UN is as effective and relavent as partical board, so why you seem so paranoid of a global government is beyond me.

By spunky on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 06:24 pm:

Spider said I was paranoid.

I said it was inevitable.

By Rowlf on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 06:25 pm:

The EU idea scares me almost as much as the current US does... and I dont think it would ever have existed (at least not at this time) if the US hadnt so isolated itself while trying at the same time to be all over the globe... so in a way, yes the US did ask for it, and everyone is going to suffer for it.

whats funny is Canada's long term interests are more suited for the EU than with any North American alliance...

By moonit on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 09:19 pm:

Yeah right Spunkster.

We can't even get a free trade agreement with the states (probably due to our FEMALE PM refusing to send troops to support the US, and possibly making an innaproprate comment), while Australia has and did support.

Half of the world doesn't even know my country exists, and you think a global govt will work?

By Antigone on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 11:49 pm:

Who said it will work?

By moonit on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 12:58 am:

I dunno, I wasnt really paying attention.
    Whoops

By Antigone on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 04:22 am:

Fuckus thou!

By The Watcher on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 01:23 pm:

I am pleased to announce the formation of a new world government.

I as your Emporer, King, Dictator have decreed it.

I name as my advisors all contributors to Sorabji.com. And, your PM shall be Mark Thomas.

I grant total amnisty to all detrectors who have contributed to these boards. And, yes that includes Patrick.

You may now bow before me and be fitted with your annal probe.

By moonit on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 07:51 pm:

fuckus thou?

nice. must use it on annoying workmates

By TBone on Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 11:05 pm:

"I was thinking of 3 super-states.
    EU
    Asia
    US"

Eurasia, Eastasia, Oceania?

'Fuckus thou' is particularly pleasing to the eye with a question mark on the end. Lends symmetry. It would make a great tshirt.

fuckus thou?

By spunky on Sunday, June 1, 2003 - 02:27 am:

pretty much

By Antigone on Sunday, June 1, 2003 - 04:57 pm:

got milk?

fuckus thou?

By spunky on Sunday, June 1, 2003 - 06:26 pm:

fuckus thou, thou arse

By J on Sunday, June 1, 2003 - 09:05 pm:

fuckus? bofous?

By J on Monday, June 2, 2003 - 02:14 am:

like in both of us.

By Antigone on Saturday, June 7, 2003 - 01:40 am:

Walmart is pushing it's suppliers to use RFID's.

By eri on Saturday, June 7, 2003 - 12:22 pm:

Not suprising.

By patrick on Monday, June 9, 2003 - 12:50 pm:

wtf is an RFID?

By spunky on Monday, June 9, 2003 - 01:10 pm:

By patrick on Monday, June 9, 2003 - 02:21 pm:

is this a bad thing tiggy?

By Antigone on Monday, June 9, 2003 - 02:43 pm:

It could be. It has many benefits, but in conjunction with other technologies it could be used to track your every movement, all of the time.

By spunky on Monday, June 9, 2003 - 04:13 pm:

The only way the gov can get a reliable tracking resource out of this particular technology is to have it implanted.
    They could include it in the Smart Cards that will eventually replace your State DL, but you have to have it on you at all times to work.

More then likely, they will continue to use "non-intrusive detection methods", IE Motion Detectors, face scanners, iris scanners, etc.
    We have the technology now, and the scanned individual has no idea he/she was scanned.

They demonstrated it a few years ago at the super boal. They had scanners set up over the main gates as spectators entered the stadium. These scanners scanned the faces in the croud and ran the scans against a data base.
    It worked out very well.

By moonit on Monday, June 9, 2003 - 04:53 pm:

ugh guys - cellphones?

My cellphone can tell me the nearest coke machine, cashflow machine, petrol station etc.

Isnt that tracking in a way?

By spunky on Monday, June 9, 2003 - 05:00 pm:

most current cell phones have a chip in them that can be tracked via GPS.

At worlds of fun, they tried renting bracelettes for parent's to put on their kids, then the parents could go to any information board and locate exactly where their children are.

By moonit on Monday, June 9, 2003 - 05:03 pm:

Well, thank god NZ will never have the dinero to do that kind of crap.

By Antigone on Monday, June 9, 2003 - 05:05 pm:

"The only way the gov can get a reliable tracking resource out of this particular technology is to have it implanted."

That would be the easy way, but by no means the only reliable way. Don't underestimate the power of fuzzy logic.

Imagine that you have an RFID tag on you that's associated with your identity. Any other tags on you could then be associated with your identity with a certain confidence level. "What about other people using your tags, like wearing your dad's shirt?" you ask? That's where confidence levels come in. If the tag from your dad's shirt are detected, your identity may be assigned a 70% probability it's your dad, a 20% probability it's you, based on previous observations of the tag's usage.

Other methods of identity recognition, such as face recognition, credit card transactions, and others, would simply be ways to assign "ownership" probabilities to the tags. These methods are expensive to execute, so would be relatively rare, but the tags could effectively be a cheap storage medium for identity marker.

Some other examples:

You go get your driver's license renewed. There's an RFID detector in the floor that records the tags on your body. The confidence level of tag ownership would be high.

You get money from an ATM. RFID detectors there.

If you're ever arrested, it's a given.

etc, etc...Any time you need to provide positive identity, your tags could be associated with you. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. Searches of your home need not be to find anything. THey could be for the sole purpose of assigning ownership to your RFID tags.

By spunky on Monday, June 9, 2003 - 05:14 pm:

They most likely would look for multiple identifiers (face recognition, RFID, personal id number)

By spunky on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 12:57 pm:

Jun 10, 9:02 am ET

SEATTLE (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp. (MSFT.O) said on Tuesday that it would develop software and services that will help retailers, manufacturers and distributors use radio tags to track and manage goods within stores and factories.
    Radio frequency identification, or RFID, technology is gaining ground as a better way to label items ranging from cereal boxes to car parts, since the low-cost tags can be tracked by remote radio receivers, unlike bar codes, which must be visible to be read by laser scanners.

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (WMT.N), the world's largest retailer, told its top suppliers last week to have all their products "chipped" or tagged with RFID modules.

Microsoft said that it would work to make its desktop, server and applications software work with RFID and also develop programs specifically designed to use the new retail tagging technology.

By The Watcher on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 01:27 pm:

Remember this warning "I am from the government. And, I'm here to help you."

Words to fear and dread. Curtesy of your freindly neighborhood federal employee.

By spunky on Tuesday, July 8, 2003 - 02:59 pm:

By Antigone on Tuesday, July 8, 2003 - 03:11 pm:

By spunky on Tuesday, July 8, 2003 - 03:47 pm:

By semillama on Tuesday, July 8, 2003 - 04:01 pm:

The best part of that slashdot thread was the idea that the Mormons are out to get the Amish by labeling them Textile Pirates.

By spunky on Tuesday, July 8, 2003 - 04:03 pm:

it could be said that the Amish are Religious Fanatics

By Antigone on Tuesday, July 8, 2003 - 04:20 pm:

it could be said that the Amish are Ass Pirates

By Spider on Tuesday, July 8, 2003 - 04:32 pm:

Speaking of pirates, who's going to see "Pirates of the Caribbean" this weekend? I know I am. (Please. Pirates? Zombies? Zombie pirates? How could that be anything but great?)

By Antigone on Tuesday, July 8, 2003 - 04:45 pm:

How about the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen?

By eri on Tuesday, July 8, 2003 - 04:55 pm:

I totally want to see Pirates, but will probably wait a bit. Maybe like when it goes to the dollar theater, so I can catch it on a 50 cent tuesday or something.

I loved that ride at Disneyland, and think it's cool to maybe see a movie about the same thing.

A League of Extrodinary Gentlemen has a really cool looking cast. That might be interesting.

By Spider on Tuesday, July 8, 2003 - 04:55 pm:

Ooh, is that out this weekend, too? I'm there!

So...what about you and the pirates? Go! Gooooooo. You know you want to.....

By Antigone on Tuesday, July 8, 2003 - 05:09 pm:

Maybe. But I don't want to fuck Johnny Depp like you do, so there's not as much motivation. :)

By Spider on Tuesday, July 8, 2003 - 05:24 pm:

Hey, I don't! Though I wouldn't kick him out of bed for eating crackers...

I just cannot resist pirate anything. I'm reading a fantastic history of piracy right now called "Under the Flag: The Romance and Reality of Life Among the Pirates" by David Cordingly -- it's so much fun, and Cordingly is one of the best pirate historians around today. He spends much of the book dispelling popular myths, which is something I always stand behind.

Hey, maybe that could be something to study in grad school...

By wisper on Tuesday, July 8, 2003 - 06:48 pm:

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen:

damnit!
    Allan Quartermain isn't the leader! Mina Harker is, and she was never a freakin vampire!

By semillama on Wednesday, July 9, 2003 - 09:53 am:

I've only read the trade paperback - i thought that it alluded that maybe she was a vampire? And in the comic, Mina has to get Quartermain to go cold turkey from smoking opium - wonder if that will make the film.

By wisper on Wednesday, July 9, 2003 - 06:31 pm:

well i haven't read Dracula, which would settle everything. But i know that she is attacked by the vampire, probably not turned by it, and then goes back to England with her husband.
    In the comic she always wears a red scarf to cover her neck, for whatever bite scars she still has.
    But she can walk around in daylight and she's rather weak and defensless, she's fearless and smart but she needs the men to save her all the time, so it's usually accepted that she's not a vampire.

But that wouldn't make an interesting movie character... so they make her a chick who can appear out of a swarm of bats, fly, throw guys across rooms and do that blood-pouring-out-of-mouth shot.

I hope they kept the invisible man as a totall jackass. he cracks me up.

By semillama on Wednesday, July 9, 2003 - 07:28 pm:

Me too.

What I like about the comic is that the "heroes" aren't all that heroic and are pretty flawed. I hope they keep that, but somehow I doubt it. I want to see the movie, but the more I think about, the less I think I'll really like it.

By Antigone on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 05:28 pm:

By Antigone on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 05:34 pm:

By spunky on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 05:47 pm:

Dude, you aint seen nothing yet.
    Most of the USAPatriot Act goes into effect 1 Oct 2003.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact