Space storm coming to Earth

sorabji.com: What are you afraid of?: Space storm coming to Earth
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By spunky on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 11:16 am:

Scientists are warning about a strong geo-magnetic storm expected to hit the Earth tomorrow.

Forecasters say the storm has the potential to affect everything from cell phones and power grids to other satellite communications.

The disturbance is rated a G-3 storm. The highest is G-5.

NASA scientists are calling it the perfect space storm.

A largest cluster of sunspots caused an explosion on the sun, sending a massive amount of gas and charged particles into space towards Earth.

Scientist say they expect it to be the worst solar flareup to be felt on Earth since a storm in 1859. That storm caused telegraph wires to short out across North America and Europe.
    Source

By sarah on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 12:17 pm:

i'll be kayaking tomorrow, far far away from computers, cell phones, and other electronics. lah lah lah.

By kazu on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 12:24 pm:

It's not that I don't believe it, but how come I haven't seen it mentioned on Yahoo! science news?

By spunky on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 12:25 pm:

I have been digging around for a second source and cannot find one

By semillama on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 12:42 pm:

the interesting thing about the 1859 solar flare was that it was so powerful, the telegraph operators between Portland Maine and Boston were able to disconnect the battery and operate the line on the electric charge it picked up from the atmosphere for the duration of the flare.

That's what happened to Quebec in 1989, too.

there are many stories on Google news. here's a good one.

By Nate on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 12:42 pm:

By Nate on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 12:42 pm:

By kazu on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 12:44 pm:

I only got as far as headlines this morning.

By spunky on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 12:49 pm:

I hear, playing somewhere in the back ground, REM's "It's the End of the World as We Know It"

By semillama on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 01:40 pm:

Why? It's just a solar flare. so what? maybe the satellites will be disrupted for the night. It's happened many times before.

By V.v. on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 01:44 pm:

Or "the least we can do is wave to each other"from Argent?

By V.v. on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 01:48 pm:

Its going to be a day of road rage and crashes,just as there is in hot weather or just before the new moon.

By spunky on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 03:05 pm:

sem, don't be such a wet blanket

:p

By semillama on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 03:33 pm:

Make sure you check out the sky tonight - apparently the last geomagnetic storm of this size was visible in Mexico (the one that darkened Quebec). So, if your lights DO go out tonight, then you won't have the light pollution obscuring your view of what should be some killer northern lights.

By V.v. on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 03:35 pm:

Sem,a few hours from mow,youl be glowing in the dark,there may be a lot of St.Elmos fire around.It may not be the end of the World,but it will be weird.

By spunky on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 03:44 pm:

that would friggin rock. I hope the lights go out. We cannot even see the moon most nights out here.

By Lapis on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 04:24 pm:

I hope the lights don't go out when I'm working, the last time it happened, we lost our music-preview computer for weeks.

By V.v. on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 04:25 pm:

Spunky,power cuts?at least we get our freezers de-frosted,mine has more ice than food.The downside is bedside alarm clocks may not go off.

By semillama on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 04:43 pm:

who needs an alarm for saturday?

By Nate on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 04:44 pm:

i've set my alarm twice in the last eight months.

By spunky on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 04:45 pm:

you suck, nate

By kazu on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 04:58 pm:

I use an alarm on Saturday AND Sunday.

By Nate on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 05:10 pm:

i don't suck, man.

when i look in the mirror i see peace.

well, not at the moment, actually. seeing as i am in the midst of a convulsive, heaving crap.

but usually, peace.

woof.

By TBone on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 05:14 pm:

Wait, you have all this money, but you don't have the good kind of freezer that doesn't get condensation buildup?
    On wednesdays, my girlfriend wakes up to my voice on the alarm.

By V.v. on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 05:18 pm:

Peace?impossible!

By Nate on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 05:29 pm:

impossible why?

By V.v. on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 05:51 pm:

TBone,yes i have one but it has a malfunction,but i hate to throw away anything that still works,like cars,to get your moneys worth you need to run them into the ground,or perhaps im tight fisted.

By Rowlf on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 05:53 pm:

the news pieces I say yesterday said it was happening today, not tomorrow. what gives?

By spunky on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 05:55 pm:

It must be a canadian thing........
    :P

By heather on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 05:57 pm:

i had dimsum for lunch

tasty

probably 300 points. oops.

whatever, gotta perk up the metabolism.

By spunky on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 06:00 pm:

By V.v. on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 06:12 pm:

Nate,there is somthing restless about you,hard to define,some sort of unfinished business,if you are at peace with your self thats good.Myself i cant switch off and cant relax,so i in no way criticize you.

By wisper on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 06:21 pm:

Seeing an Aurora is fucked up, spunky.
    "i am not seeing this!! i am not seeing this!"
    It's like a video game. Kinda scary.
    They last for hours and hours.

It's a lucky thing to see them too, i've only seen 3 my whole life. My parents- just a few more than that.
    And only once as bright as that picture. One was pink & blue :)

By wisper on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 06:28 pm:

By Rowlf on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 06:41 pm:

By semillama on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 06:45 pm:

I've seen a lot of auroras, but only once did I see the northern lights like in those pictures. It was the most amazing thing I had ever seen.

Haven't seen any since leaving the north.

By spunky on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 09:38 pm:

thanks for that site whisper, they are gorgeous

By V.v. on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 06:37 pm:

SHIT,for the first time ever,im within 350 miles of the auroras,(they are now for the first time ever)in northern England,just hope they move south,350 miles to London.If you take a lattitude line ,cross to America,it may tell you where it will show.Is that a bit north of New York?can any of you guys work this out?

By dave. on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 08:19 pm:

i dunno, but i was denied every time i stepped out to look.

By Rowlf on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 09:03 pm:

did anyone get anything affected by the storm?

nothing here. nothing at all.

By V.v. on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 01:04 am:

Guys,only things i i seen so far is the sun was far too bright for this time of year,and Rowlf,is it true high flying aircraft got instrument problems?

By V.v. on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 01:40 am:

And i have a report of a ferry,sinking or crashing near Manhatten due to instrument failure,is this true?

By patrick on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 01:57 pm:

i noticed that the lights flickered in the house several times saturday night. otherwise....nothing but hot hot windfuck

By V.v. on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 07:21 pm:

GREETINGS PATRICK,Looks like its just you and me that have an interest in astronomy! in November,i get the Leonid meteor shower,comes around every year,also i have far too much static on short wave radio. I think the solar flair will be around for two more days,THEN im looking forward to a meteor impact like the one in TUNGUSKA,SIBERIA back in 1908,im of the opinion you have allready heard of this stuff on the web.Regards,

By patrick on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 12:02 pm:

GREETINGS earthling.

Im a fan of the Persoids (sp?) meteor shower in August. The Leonids aren't as spectacular right?

I have heard of this stuff, but not via the web, but rather my shortstack wavetransistor walkietalkie babybabble monitor. Its how they talk to me. you know?

By V.v. on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 01:08 pm:

Rolling or walking?

By eri on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 01:18 pm:

I miss out on all of the good astronomy stuff......oy, I am so out of touch with some things.......if we get that ranch out in the country, we are so setting up the damned telescope again. It just doesn't do any good here, surrounded by buildings and lights and you can't even find a star.

By patrick on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 01:19 pm:

stumbling of course.

By V.v. on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 02:13 pm:

Persoids hardly show up here,all i see are the lights on jumbo jets comeing into Heathrow airport,but when the temperature drops to zero the sky is very clear,no pollen or pollution.

By patrick on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 02:21 pm:

i know the october sky in London very well.

I've been there. Crisp.

Same for Paris in October.

For the msot part, because I live in a desert, the sky is cloudless most of the year. Constant high pressure systems make visability damn good.

over and out

By eri on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 03:56 pm:

No shit on the clear visibility out there Patrick. I miss that. And to think all the years I was out there I never made it to a single observatory, even after they built the new one out in Apple Valley.......

By V.v. on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 07:23 pm:

Ive just been on the NASA web site and another, stronger magnetic storm will hit on wednesday 29th october.

By patrick on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 08:42 pm:

i've got plenty of tin foil. BRING IT SPACE STORM!!!!!

By Lapis on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 10:05 pm:

It's nice fall weather now, sky full of dark clouds but no rain. A quick breeze and brown and yellow leaves crunching under my feet on the sidewalk and on the trails.

I walked to the madrona tree to clear my head, uleashed my hair from its clip and let it fly into my face out from under my hood as I wrote sitting in the grass as the twilight grew too dark to see the paper.

I'm pretty sure what I must do for Halloween this year.

By V.v. on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 11:26 pm:

Get out the rubic cube costume?

By V.v. on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 11:41 pm:

Patrick,tin foil and micro waves dont mix,so dont go makeing a pointy hat out of it(not even for halloween)

By semillama on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 10:04 am:

No, he's ok as long as he doesn't stick his head in an actual microwave oven. Then his head will catch on fire. Otherwise, aluminum foil is pretty vital for keeping the gubmint mind control rays from that harp in Alaska from affecting your thought processes.

By Spider on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 12:01 pm:

When I was at the protest in DC this weekend, I saw a lady in a tin foil hat. She looked normal otherwise, so I couldn't tell if she was wearing the hat sincerely or ironically, and I was afraid to ask her.

By Spider on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 12:03 pm:

When I was at the protest in DC this weekend, I saw a lady in a tin foil hat. She looked normal otherwise, so I couldn't tell if she was wearing the hat sincerely or ironically, and I was afraid to ask her.

By kazu on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 12:04 pm:

You should have asked. Most people willing to wear tinfoil hats in public are willing to talk about it.

By sarah on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 12:25 pm:

i wonder if the geo magnetic storm is what caused my hair to turn green when i went to get it colored on saturday?

had to go back on yesterday to get it fixed.

but it's still fucked, and now i have to go back again this afternoon.

just give me my whiplash blonde back! why did i ever think i wanted to go strawberry? why why why?

By Spider on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 12:32 pm:

Heh. :)

Viggo Mortenson was also at the protest. Before he spoke, he threw T-shirts out into the congregation, which apparently offended the guy who introduced him at the podium. It was odd -- the introducing guy (a reverend of some church) said "thank you" a few times and wouldn't leave the podium. Mr. Mortenson was confused, said a few words to the guy, the guy wouldn't budge, Mortenson offered him his hand to shake, and finally then was he allowed to speak. He started by saying he hadn't meant to offend anyone, spoke a little against US imperialism, read a poem, and then was ushered off the stage by the reverend, who had been hovering near him the whole time. I couldn't tell if he had even been allowed to finish his poem. I was embarrassed for the poor guy. He's a red-head, btw, and very thin.

I also saw Al Sharpton speak. !! And Ramsey Clarke, a couple of ministers who had been prominent during the Vietnam protests, and a number of other people representing oppressed cultures over the world.

By Spider on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 12:36 pm:

(Err, my "heh" was in response to Kazu.)

By semillama on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 02:06 pm:

Wow, you got to hear the next president of the united states speak!!!

By Spider on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 02:15 pm:

A- Al....Sharpton...? *tremble*

By sarah on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 10:26 am:

WWAD?

By V.v. on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 08:45 pm:

W.T.F.

By Kebron on Friday, October 31, 2003 - 02:48 pm:

If Colon Powell would not run for risk of assasination by some hateful freaks, and more people like him, then what makes you think that the rev would make it.

Ok the rev is elected he would be killed doing his victory speech

K

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact