People From Maine

sorabji.com: What are you afraid of?: People From Maine
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Rowlfe on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 - 03:59 am:

not really, but when your state is supposedly the most neurotic, most extroverted, least agreeable and least conscientious, I'll be more careful lining up at the Coffee Pot outside of Bangor.

Check out these maps showing personality variation by state. Can't much vouch for any accuracy, but hopefully might spur dicussion/civil war.

http://www.gnxp.com/blog/2008/09/personality-variation-by-region-usa.php

Gotta definitely say I don't question Tennessee in the most agreeable category, California in the top 10 most openness.

What's with the Northeast and neuroticism? Would I be dumb to say Catholics and Jews and take my lumps for insensitivity?

By droopy on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 03:05 pm:

i just ran across this article about "canda's dirty little secret: we're a lot like americans".

"...Canadians are only slightly less extroverted and open than Americans, and a touch more neurotic. It also suggests denizens of the True North are actually less agreeable and conscientious than their U.S. counterparts, turning decades of contrasting stereotypes on their head."

By Rowlfe on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 02:39 am:

I'm not shocked at all, but I need to find a breakdown of that study by province.

By Spider on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 01:02 am:

It tickles me that Wyoming is an island of lazy sods in the midst of all those conscientious folk.

By Rowlfe on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 11:35 am:

By Dr Pepper on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 03:13 pm:

Rowlfe, probably the southern states or the applichians mountain. I supposed so. probably around Virgina or West Virgina.

By Rowlfe on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 09:00 pm:

West Virginia or Kentucky was my first guess

By Dr Pepper on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 10:55 pm:

Rowlfe, Why you were concerned about that lady you mentioned earlier?

By Rowlfe on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 11:14 pm:

I'm not exactly. It's just a sorry excuse to spread some bizarre video

By Dr Pepper on Sunday, October 5, 2008 - 12:09 am:

By Dougie on Sunday, October 5, 2008 - 12:14 am:

What's up with the quasi-correct grammar and spelling, Dr Pepper? You drunk or something?

By Dr Pepper on Sunday, October 5, 2008 - 01:35 am:

Dougie, No I am not drunk or something. Just a plain perfect English.

By Dougie on Sunday, October 5, 2008 - 12:51 pm:

I stand corrected then.

By Dr Pepper on Sunday, October 5, 2008 - 01:09 pm:

:-)

By Rowlfe on Thursday, October 9, 2008 - 08:47 am:

By Rowlfe on Thursday, October 9, 2008 - 08:52 am:

By Nate on Thursday, October 9, 2008 - 11:48 am:

democracy!

By patrick on Thursday, October 9, 2008 - 08:08 pm:

can we sell main to nova scotia?

By Rowlfe on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 12:11 pm:

By Nate on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 02:03 pm:

they should get matching tshirts that say "trig's army".

By Fearful in the USA on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 02:37 pm:

that's some frigthening shit. To think that Palin will be president if McCain gets whacked with more altimers senior blackouts. these people incite hate. they deserve to lose and to die in their little backwards conservative dungeon of PA.

By patrick on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 06:43 pm:

its shameful. im thinkin even the mccain people are regretting this shit.

the election is toast, they know it, so know its a reputation thats on the line.

By Rowlfe on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 06:47 pm:

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 03:18 am:

Rowlfe. Can't these people behave for themself? they are all acting like a child!
    I wonder what will going to happens on Election day? people behaving baaaaaaaaadddd?!?!?!?!
    BBBBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By Rowlfe on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 08:12 am:

http://w3.newsmax.com/a/morrismap/

I have had a huge kick of Dick Morris' election projections this year. He's got to have the most random and dumbest projections of anyone out there. i can't believe this man is paid for his opinion.

He has Arizona leaning Obama, Arkansas strong Obama... wtf? whereas the now "new" sort-of-interesting-but-not-gon-happen-swing states such as North Dakota and Indiana are still red. By his standards even Georgia would be blue. Its like he picks the Kerry and Bush states from o4 and then just throws darts :P

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 12:27 am:

By platypus on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 01:29 am:

Since this seems to be the video thread.

By platypus on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 01:30 am:

I hasten to add that I don't watch the show/have no idea who the people are, I just think that making fun of the "talk to your kids about drugs" ads is a great concept.

By Dr Pepper on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 03:01 am:

Rowlfe, was that a Al-Jazeera logo been seen on you tube? This is something weird going on.

By Dr Pepper on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 03:02 am:

Rowlfe, was that a Al-Jazeera logo been seen on you tube? This is something weird going on.

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 09:32 pm:

theres an Al Jazeera US channel now.

'notha debate tonight. Predict more or less the same thing, except McCain will find a way to wedge in Ayers if Scheiffer doesn't do it himself

I mean you guys were wondering about Brokaw kissing ass, but Scheiffer is a McCain bootlick for sure - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J9SxvrAp6U

By Rowlfe on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 12:44 am:

Obama slaughtered.

McCain on a split screen brought out a lot of hilarious images. He can't keep it contained. It was a riot.

Scheiffer did good overall, but man he indulged in the attack ads segment just to try and get some drama going. Didn't care for it only in the same way that the ABC debate was a joke, but we knew it was going to come out eventually, so might as welll be blunt about it.

and fuck Joe the Plumber. That dude from the video is a dipshit for one, and I hate now knowing he's going to be in the lexicon forever.

By Nate on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 02:20 am:

how the hell is joe the plumber is going to buy a company that nets over $250K in taxable income? i know plumbers make ok money, but you'd have to figure a company that is netting $250K is going to be valued at at least $1.5M.

in this credit climate? say what?

suck it joe. you're a shill.

By Rowlfe on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 02:38 am:

Joe admitted on CBS he doesnt actually make 250,000 - even though thats whats he told Obama in the video. Saw a pic of his family though, and they're all dressed to the nines in suits, real working-class-like, yup.

But I'm sure he can finally cross that tax bracket by opening for Larry the Cable Guy at Phony Blue Collar Laffapalooza 09

but seriously though, is there a violin for the plumbers of the world? Leave you waiting all day and rip you the fuck off, and still cant properly replace a simply washer on your fucking hot water tap.

By Nate on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 02:53 pm:

the more i think about this, the more it irks me. people just don't understand how our tax system works. someone needs to sit down with Joe and explain to him how little pain he would ever likely feel.

the proposal is adding 3% to the bracket above $250K. $251K? An extra $30 tax. $300K? An extra $1500 tax.

where does this stop your from being able to hire or retain employees? assuming your employees are productive, nowhere. you're deducting your employees' wages, so it's not like the cost of your employee is changing at all.

the only thing that changes is your net earnings. and only for those dollars above $250K.

By Rowlfe on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 03:35 pm:

Joe is apparently unlicensed and a tax cheat. Huh.

People are treating him like he's the main character in "Swing Vote".

Seriously. screw Joe.

By Nate on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 04:34 pm:

yeah. pin him down and shit on his chest.

"i know you're good with pipe, buddy, but how are you with handling cable?"

By sarah on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 04:43 pm:

did anyone catch the replay this morning of the post debate interview with the focus group of six "undecided" caucasian voters?

two, TWO, admitted, on TV that they might not vote for Obama because of race. ALL of them said that they felt like Palin was a liability to the McCain campaign instead of an asset.

no African Americans were in the focus group because they said they could not find any African American voters (in Virginia) who were "undecided".

By Nate on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 04:53 pm:

reading comments on various news articles just makes me sadder.

"I dont see why it is right for someone making millions be taxed the same amount as someone making 30,000 a year."

does the bulk of the US population understand the basics of our income tax code? it doesn't seem like they do.

ignorance is running our country.

the top marginal tax rate was 77% in 1918 (to fund WWI). (in 1918 the top marginal tax rate applied to income over $1M.)

it was down to 24% by 1929, and then back up to 63% (on income over $200K) in 1932 to help us out of the great depression. by 1945 it was 94%.

it stayed in the 90's until the sixties, when it dropped to 70%. then 50% in 1982.

then 28% in 1988.

it needs to be higher, higher than even Obama is proposing.

but who votes against these kinds of tax increases? republicans, of whom the vast majority would only benefit from the increase.

By Nate on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 04:56 pm:

six undecided virginians, two open racists?

our american tragedy.

the older i get, the more dead i feel.

By Rowlfe on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 04:59 pm:

In one day Sort-of-Plumber Joe has had more press conferences than Sarah Palin

By patrick on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 05:10 pm:

joe the plumber is a real dude?

fucking a

By Rowlfe on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 06:40 pm:

joe the plumber is a real douchebag

fucking a-hole

By Rowlfe on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 06:45 pm:

so yeah, when he met barack he said he made around 250,000 grand and was about to buy his company and that Barack was out to get him.

he made around 40,000 in '06 and isn't buying the company. just some schmo who thought he'd be a bigshot going after Obama on the street figuring he could say whatever he wanted. Now McCain is running him in his ads.

Pfft.

By Nate on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 01:49 am:

his name isn't even joe.

By Rowlfe on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 01:58 am:

Sam the plumber's aide, or something.

Watching Letterman destroy McCain.

if it hasnt aired there yet, and you're up, watch it.

Letterman brings up Liddy. Owned.

By Nate on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 03:11 am:

i don't have television.

america. shit.

By Nate on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 03:37 am:

this joe/sam thing is killing me.

couldn't the overwhelming media just say "hey, this guy who makes $40K a year wouldn't be able to afford this $2M company that nets $280K a year if he has to pay $900 more in taxes. that's just trig."

By sarah on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 06:32 pm:

it works out because the media is now destroying joe's life via overexposure.

there are rumors that joe is a close relative of a well known family who donates major coin to republican campaigns. the conspiracy theorists are saying he was planted at the Obama rally.

By Danielssss on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 09:39 pm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Evfm8RXn6A

My plumber got $50 for installing a new disposal this morning, and got it in cash less ninety minutes after arriving. The cement guys, on the other hand, arrived at 7am and left at 1030a with $850 for cement and labor and a $50 tip for bobcating a little lanscaping by the greenhouse.

Everybody was gone by 11am and life returned to normal. Wait! I'm a conspiracy theorist and didn't know Joe was a plumber. I thought he was Palin's gynecologist maybe.

By semillama on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 10:33 pm:

Letterman further proved the fact that the only people willing to tell anything remotely close to the truth and ask the actual relevant questions are comedians.

Therefore, I move that Katie Couric be replaced by Dave Chappell, as soon as possible.

I also think that all future debates be moderated by late-night talk show hosts.

By wisper on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 01:24 am:

That Letterman shit was epic. Everyone in the country should see it.

Hey wow, I just remembered the whole Adam Carolla/Ann Coulter phonecall. Yup, comedians are definitely more qualified to interview politicians.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact