God?

sorabji.com: What is your definition of Heaven?: God?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Hal on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 11:34 am:

God is not real. God does not exist.
    The bible is simply a novel.
    Everyone says to me: "What's your proof that God does not exist?" to which I respond "What's your proof that he does?" Most everyone says "the Bible."
    That's dumb.
    If all you need to prove your faith is a book, then that's all I need to prove my "lack of faith."
    Darwin's "Origin of the Species" is my Bible. Ever read it? Humans have evolved. They were not "created" suddenly.
    I have nothing more to rant about at the time, so I'll end my post here.

By Ezekiel on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 12:54 pm:

then you will burn in hell for ever.

Darwins communist manifesto preaches that we are just animals.

I am no animal there is a divine spark in me.

I have a soul.

By J on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 01:23 pm:

I have a sacred cow in my backyard.

By Ezekiel on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 01:37 pm:

Then you must be a hindu.

hindus are heathens and will die and immediately go to burn in hell too.

By J on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 01:46 pm:

I'm so scared.

By Antigone on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 02:27 pm:

I'm an agnostic, but I suspect I have a soul.

I'm going to try to simulate one in the next thirty years or so. Wish me luck!

By Cat on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 07:31 pm:

I've given up trying to be something. I'm shallow and I don't have the courage to believe in any God.

But I liked the way God was explained in the movie "Contact". Jody Foster challenged this priest about how he could believe in God in the absence of any scientific proof. The priest said "Did you love your father?" and she said "Yes" and he said "Prove it".

Actually I think I stuffed that up, but you get the general idea.

By pez on Saturday, December 1, 2001 - 03:15 am:

my god is duct tape and sheet music.

By TBone on Saturday, December 1, 2001 - 03:58 pm:

Darwin was communist? cool.

By Pizzle on Saturday, December 1, 2001 - 05:48 pm:

Cat, I can prove that my sister loved my father; my younger nephew/brother is living proof.

He's out back right now playing pokey with the hogs.

By Cat on Saturday, December 1, 2001 - 07:04 pm:

I didn't know you called them "hogs" there in England. Glad to hear you have such a close family though.

By semillama on Saturday, December 1, 2001 - 09:50 pm:

I look at all the different religionso n the planet
    and there is an inescapable conclusion: If
    God exists, it has one hell of a sense of
    humor.

By Nate on Monday, December 3, 2001 - 04:55 am:

damnit sem, don't confuse god with religion. they have nothing to do with each other.

Ezgeekal- by your own book you'll burn in hell, too. what right do you have to dictate god's mind?

Hal, (macro) evolution is a ridiculous concept. there is little evidence for it. there is far more evidence for creation of species.

science is your religion, and you follow it just as blindly as those you critisize.

By patrick on Monday, December 3, 2001 - 12:21 pm:

they got any good dope over there?

By sarah on Monday, December 3, 2001 - 08:30 pm:

it's Monday night! i'm going out drinking!! whoooohoooooooo!

By semillama on Monday, December 3, 2001 - 10:22 pm:

I tried to go drinking but none of my crew
    showed up, which worries me greatly.

I so wish I lived near Sarah because she is
    the exact type of person I like to go out and fart
    around with. I think we may have been brother
    and sister in a previous life, if I may be so
    pesumptious to say so.

By The Watcher on Tuesday, December 4, 2001 - 04:55 pm:

And he said unto me - go and write the names of all the sinners in this book and they shall all be damned.

Ezekiel is near the top of the list.

Right after me.

By Czarina on Tuesday, December 4, 2001 - 06:38 pm:

Can J bring her Sacred Cow to hell with her,so she'll have something to eat?

By Ezekiel on Wednesday, December 5, 2001 - 11:31 am:

animals have no souls.their sole purpose is to provide nourishment for mankind.

By J on Wednesday, December 5, 2001 - 11:52 am:

I like the sound of that,"What are you doing"? "I'm just getting ready to have a hamburger in hell".

By E on Wednesday, December 5, 2001 - 12:08 pm:

There is no nourishment in Hell.
    Hells tortures include starvation.

The so called anorexics in our society are people filled with original sin.

They should attend church more often and have an exorcism as soon as possible

By Czarina on Wednesday, December 5, 2001 - 01:09 pm:

I'm glad you're familiar with exorcisms,because I have a feeling you're going to be experiencing one of your very own, from here,very soon.

By Ophelia on Wednesday, December 5, 2001 - 03:28 pm:

Here is what I believe:
    I agree that the bible is just a book, written by humans. Part novel, part history, part poetry, part fanaticism. But god can exist without the bible. God is a creation of the human mind, perhaps, but what in our world is any more or less than a creation of the human mind. God is a concept, a belief, and without humans, God would not exist. But without humans, nothing would exist because language would not exist. Grass would not exist, because what is grass but a concept of the human mind? air would not exist, because without the concept of air, what is there? Before humans understood that the world was round, it was flat, because that was how we knew it to be. Now it is round. Did the shape change? Similarly, if there is no concept of grass, then even without the physical substance changing, there cannot be grass. But god exists to me because, like grass, I accept the existance as a part of my perception of the world. Some people accept the Bible to be true, so for them it is. Some people say there is no god, so for them there is not. In my own life, I find the existance of god to be a useful thing, so i believe, and therefore it exists.

sorry if no one really cared to hear that. i just thought i'd explain that god isn't justified only by the bible, and got a bit carried away.

By Hoodbuddy on Wednesday, December 5, 2001 - 04:29 pm:

Wow, deep stuff.

What an intellectual.

By Ophelia on Wednesday, December 5, 2001 - 04:43 pm:

fuck you, you ass.

(is that more at your level?)

By semillama on Wednesday, December 5, 2001 - 07:23 pm:

Hoodbuddy- something to do with an overt
    fondness for foreskins?

By Hoodbuddy on Wednesday, December 5, 2001 - 08:16 pm:

Bullseye Semenlama!

My fondness for all things prick related explains my attachment to this message board.

By semillama on Thursday, December 6, 2001 - 02:23 pm:

No, but it does explain your attachment for that
    homeless guy in your closet.

By sarah on Thursday, December 6, 2001 - 06:30 pm:

hey sem, even if we aren't brother and sister in a previous life, i think sometimes we live a parallel existence. going out drinking turned into a flop again. all of my crew showed up but i got too shy and didn't look closely enough at the bar to find them and i bolted, not wanting to have to go through the disappointment of not having any friends.

you have friends.

if you ever want to come down to Austin, there are lots of cool places we could fart around and play pool badly and good used music stores and other stuff. :)

By semillama on Friday, December 7, 2001 - 12:41 am:

At some point, I will take you up on that.

By sarah on Friday, December 7, 2001 - 10:06 am:

i'll take you to Emo's and we'll see some punk rock.

By droopy on Friday, December 7, 2001 - 12:41 pm:

my mother will be in austin this weekend to scatter her cousin's ashes around our homestead land. this is a new thing for us, cremation and ash scattering. his son had his ashes scattered down there. usually we just bury them in oliver's cemetery. it was on tv a few years ago because there was some kind of cult activity going on in the grounds.

that's what i want: cremation, ashes scattered in the austin hill country. being stuck in a box and buried in a hole with a rock with your name on it on top is so...dead...ya know? generations of people can come back to that same spot year after year and my message will always be the same: i am still dead.

i suppose having your body burned to cinders is on the dead side, too. but at least you get to travel; bits of your are blown by the wind to who knows where. you might be at some outdoor punk rock concert in austin one day and you get something in your eye, wafted in on a breeze, and it might be me.

By patrick on Friday, December 7, 2001 - 12:45 pm:

droop i read this on the subway and thought you might like to read it.

Red is so cool.

So shy. Last time we saw him he and Nico shared a smoke together. I also have some fantastic pics I want to send him. One of these days we're gonna make it up to Buck Owen's joint in Bakersfield.

Im bummed I wont be able to see him tonight because im going to see Man or Astroman?

By droop on Friday, December 7, 2001 - 01:11 pm:

he sounds cool. anybody who plays an old 50's natural finish telecaster is cool. i think i've heard him on the radio a couple of times - there's an "alternative country" show that comes on community radio called "texas renegade radio" (i miss the old name: the super roper redneck review) that plays stuff like that.

By Cat on Saturday, December 8, 2001 - 10:47 pm:

I want to be buried in a grave with a marble angel on the top. When I'm dead of course, not now. Though some days it sounds positively inviting.

I've always been fascinated by graveyards and headstones and coffins and tragic little tales of love ever-lasting spun out in flowers placed on someone's piece of dirt.

By droopy on Tuesday, December 11, 2001 - 02:57 am:

talked to my mother earlier this evening and asked how the ash scattering went. she said it was surprisingly upbeat, uplifting even. they all walked down to the creek where the big oak tree stands. everybody took turns and scattered a little bit of the ash. then they all joined hands and said a prayer. his name was morgan, the man who died.

i've talked about his son, clay, a couple of times on here: he's the one who drank himself to death on the same farm last year when he was 39. they cremated him, too. it took the almost a year to scatter his ashes. all that time they kept the ashes in a box in the closet. his brother used to take the box out of the closet and say "think fast!" and toss it to his sister. she'd catch it because she felt she had to and then berate him for doing something so terrible.

my mother seemed to be fascinated with morgan's ashes. they aren't like cigarette ashes - human ashes are heavy and gritty. maybe it comes from being distilled down to all of the minerals in your body - especially calcium.

they want to put a plaque up for morgan down on the farm. in the farmhouse, i guess. i think it would be cool to put it on the oak tree. (it's a big tree, wide as a garage door.) in "as you like it," orlando would write poems to rosalind and hang them on the trees:

O Rosalind! these trees shall be my books
    And in their barks my thoughts I'll character;
    That every eye which in this forest looks
    Shall see thy virtue witness'd every where.

i still think it'd be better than a rock. lined up in a neat little line with the all the other rocks in their little fenced-in colony of the dead.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact