IRC - Spawn of Satan or innocent place to meet new people?

sorabji.com: Surfwatch: IRC - Spawn of Satan or innocent place to meet new people?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).
By CarrieAnn on Sunday, April 26, 1998 - 07:03 am:
    A question I ask myself every day since I started hanging out there. IRC, for those of you who aren't familiar with it.. stands for Internet Relay Chat. One of the more common place/ways to chat with others online. I found myself there some ungodly 4 years ago at least, and with its venomous jaws it manages to draw me in deeper and deeper as time passes.

I have met a bunch of people that I talked to online, in person and well some of them left a bad taste in my mouth. (Take that as you will) Made the mistake of establishing a 'relationship' with a couple people and .... I'll save those stories for another day, kiddies. That's not to discredit all relationships that formed online. It can just take some extra effort sometimes, I s'ppose.

And this is not to say that there are not some really cool people there too. I have made some wonderful friends due to my addiction (and yes I fully admit this now.. 'Hi, my name is Carrie and I am an IRC addict'), and am thankful for that. Oh, and my wpm is way up as well. So there is something good to come from it. Hehe.

I used to hang on general channels (the rooms/channels) there but found that being able to actually meet the people eventually was pretty cool, so I started hanging on channels specific to my area.
    (ex: #nwraves, #seattle, #pugetsound) It's actually not a bad way to pass time and have a few laughs while you're at it.

If ya have nothin to do, stop in sometime and check things out, say hi or whatever. I'm normally on Dalnet (servers: irc.dal.net/spider.dal.net) or Efnet (servers: irc.sprynet.com/ irc.ais.net) and am in #Seattle. =)

By Pete on Sunday, April 26, 1998 - 10:37 am:
    Funny thing...I just signed up for that this morning....I stumbled across it and thought I would give it a shot.

I get IM's with my AOL account and there is nothing more annoying than having someone break in when you are trying to get something done. And I am just too damned polite to tell them to get lost, I'm busy.

Oh well........

By MoonUnit on Thursday, December 17, 1998 - 10:05 pm:

I like irc, altho I've just started using it. Its good. I used to hang out in a chat room where I was the only kiwi. Bit like here really but then NZ Angel came so now I am not alone, but on irc theres #newzealand where the majority of people are kiwis, but some aussies and canadians too... i also like #loonybin fit in there quite well ;)

By Agatha on Thursday, December 17, 1998 - 11:44 pm:

what i hate about irc is that in so many channels, nobody actually talks in the room. they just go to the room to find some vulnerable innocent, then attempt to lure them off to a private room so they can jack off while typing. boring. i wish i could find some rooms where there are people who actually want to talk about something other than sex. i can get my sex right here at home, what i am looking for is interesting conversation.

By R.C. on Friday, December 18, 1998 - 08:46 pm:

I hear ya, Aggie. Three cheers for home grown lovin'!

Well, if I can get Carrie to show me how to use the damn IRC program I downloaded/I'll be happy to chat w/you sometime. But her mail server is on haitus/or something.

By Agatha on Friday, December 18, 1998 - 11:01 pm:

i can show you a little. email me.

By MoonUnit on Saturday, December 19, 1998 - 01:18 am:

Agatha, I dont think anyone talks about sex in #newzealand *lmao* but then again maybe just noone talks about it to me *heheh*

I dont know if thats sad or funny.

By Agatha on Saturday, December 19, 1998 - 02:59 pm:

thanks, moon. i'll check it out. what do you go by in there?

By MoonUnit on Sunday, December 20, 1998 - 01:06 am:

*lol* Guess *heheh* MoonUnit, also have new kiwi room #newzealander *ooer* no rules in there.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact