hamsterdance

sorabji.com: Surfwatch: hamsterdance
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Hamsterdance on Friday, February 5, 1999 - 06:08 pm:

By Nate on Friday, February 5, 1999 - 06:24 pm:

everyone on my team. right now. full volume.

i think i am having a "special" moment.

By Agatha on Friday, February 5, 1999 - 10:48 pm:

i love that.

By Markus on Friday, February 5, 1999 - 10:52 pm:

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

By Spiracle on Friday, February 5, 1999 - 11:45 pm:

By Markus on Friday, February 5, 1999 - 11:54 pm:

Damn. Now THAT'S what the computer revolution was all about. I give it two thumbs up and coveted place on the bookmark shortlist.

By R.C. on Saturday, February 6, 1999 - 03:48 pm:

How on earth do y'all find this stuff?

By Chordata on Saturday, February 6, 1999 - 08:17 pm:

every time i get sent the hamsterdance url i get so pissed that it's misspelled. i am such a bitch about these things. this last time i was drunk in safeway i started ranting about how this "kids korner" display of toys at the checkout was totally terrible because
    a) it's kid's, not kids
    b) it's corner, not korner
    c) it's not a corner, it's the goddamn checkout
    d) all this nonsense is directed towards young growing minds.

sigh

By Agatha on Saturday, February 6, 1999 - 08:30 pm:

i feel the same way. i am particularly annoyed by intentional misspellings, such as your example of "kids Korner". i remember a barney miller episode where this guy freaked out and starting destroying all the signs he saw with misspelled words.

i also get irritated when i see the phrase "impacted upon," which they use quite a bit in the news. it's just wrong.

By R.C. on Saturday, February 6, 1999 - 11:12 pm:

Blame it on our public schools. And the fact that so many parents don't read anymore/much less read to their kids/so they don't even notice poor grammar or misspellings. It filters all the way up to the folks who edit copy in the newsrooms.

Back during the 15 min. or so that I thought abt having kids someday/I swore I wd home-school my child until age 8 or so -- just to be sure he or she had a solid grasp of the basics of reading, writing & math. Now that I live in FL where home schooling is popular/(altho' mainly among conservative Christians) I have my doubts. I've spent time w/those kids/& many of them are sorely lacking in terms of writing skills & vocabularly. (But they can spout Bible verses from memory like Jerry Farwell). So I'm kind of ambivalent abt the home schooling thing -- esp. beyond grade 3 or 4. But if having a education means anything/it means you shd be able to keep up w/yr child's schoolwork & make sure their homework is right & correct before they go to bed at nite.

I'm sure you read to Chole, Agatha. Did yr moms read to you guys (Chord & Aggie) when you were kids? Both my parents read to me. (Altho' in my father's case/it was from boring-ass flight instruction manuals/espoinage or crime novels/ /or the newspaper.) And they kept it up a ridiculously long time -- til I was maybe 10 or 11 -- becuz I wd beg them to read to me.

My goddaughters in NY were tried of being read to by the time they were 6 or 7 (altho' they loved it when I told them made-up stories.) I know the media love to blame everything that's wrong w/ our ed. system now on television. But I dunno -- maybe t.v. really does have a lot to do w/why kids just don't seem to be into reading or being read to anymore...

By Agatha on Saturday, February 6, 1999 - 11:20 pm:

i think tv has a lot to do with it. it shortens kids' attention spans. i read to cleo almost every day. it's her favorite one on one activity with me, as i don't really have the time for role playing type games. you know, i'm the knight and you're the dragon, etc etc. i wish i had more time for those childlike musings.

my mom always read to me, and we used to go to the library every week to pick out new books. it was a big treat. i was an avid reader at age four, and i owe it to my mother. cleo still doesn't know how to read. she will be five in april. i think when i have more time to work with her on it, she will pick it up. she can already sound a few basic words out, she just needs a little more one on one with me and she will be ready to roll. reading is still my number two favorite escape, right behind sleeping. the internet is number three.

By Markus on Sunday, February 7, 1999 - 01:03 am:

a) Presumably that would be kids', not kid's

By Agatha on Sunday, February 7, 1999 - 01:35 pm:

i said kids'! oh, maybe you aren't directing that at me. ne-mind.

By R.C. on Sunday, February 7, 1999 - 11:49 pm:

I said I cd read. Never said I cd type.

By Chordata on Monday, February 8, 1999 - 07:24 pm:

a) shit. i fucked up on the punctuation right when i was making an important point. thank you, markus. what a smart boy.

By Conn-Man on Tuesday, March 28, 2000 - 06:43 pm:

I think the hamster dance sucks!

By J on Friday, March 31, 2000 - 02:54 pm:

That,s one of the best things you can do for your child is read to them,my kid,s loved the Berstein Bears,My Secret Garden,Shell Silverstien.I,m going to read myself some of those Harry Potter just to see what,s up with that.

By Rhiannon on Friday, March 31, 2000 - 03:09 pm:

My aunt used to read Shel Silverstein to me all the time. I loved him. He really knew what kids liked.

By patrick on Friday, March 31, 2000 - 04:54 pm:

my grandma used to read to me Pinnochio and Alice in Wonderland....i had big bright colorful Disney books.....also The Fisherman and his Wife and other fables similar......out of an collection of fables. Hansel and Gretle was another favorite

By patrick on Friday, March 31, 2000 - 05:02 pm:

hence I am a prone to take hallucinogens, compulsively lie, fits of greed and a weak spot for other people's sweets

By spunky on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 11:55 am:

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact