Boycott Brazil!

sorabji.com: Surfwatch: Boycott Brazil!
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By PetRock on Thursday, May 20, 1999 - 07:55 am:

By Semillama on Thursday, May 20, 1999 - 03:27 pm:

Heck with Brazil, have a pasty!

http://www.pasty.com

Nate can keep California, Swine gets Jamaica, I get the western UP. Sarah can have the eastern part if she wants it.

By Nate on Thursday, May 20, 1999 - 03:57 pm:

what the hell is UP?

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Thursday, May 20, 1999 - 06:59 pm:

and naturally, I get the Jampot!!! Get it???

By Heather on Thursday, May 20, 1999 - 10:03 pm:

UP= upper peninsula of michigan

and my not using capital letters is all about laziness and inability to type

By Semillama on Friday, May 21, 1999 - 12:49 pm:

It's pronounced "da YOO-PEE" by locals.

Damn, I think everyone would like the jampot, esp. since they make half their shit with brandy and rum.

By PetRock on Friday, May 21, 1999 - 08:21 pm:

What the hell is a pasty?

I thought at first this had something to do with elderly strippers.

By R.C. on Friday, May 21, 1999 - 09:01 pm:

Check the link under Semillama's post.

The Keweenaw Peninsula of MI considers itself a famous place. The have their own website /featuring pictures of local bldgs. & scenery & such. And a link to a pastry shop. But Yoopers apparently call them pastys. Becuz they can't spell.

Jam I can dig. But fruitcake? UGH! After Xmas/who doesn't spend the rest of the winter trying to get rid of he fruitcake they've accumulated from relatives?

My Dad is the only person I know who loves fruitcake. But he's Bajan/so it's not his fault.

Gimme Xmas tarts any day!

By Semillama on Saturday, May 22, 1999 - 01:19 pm:

Actually R.C. the correct spelling is Pasty, which is different from a pastry.

THe pasty originates in Cornwall, from whence many of the copper miners came from in the last century.
    A pasty is basically meat and root crops (potatoes, rutabagas, turnips) rolled into a flaky shell and baked. The miners would eat them for lunch down in the mines, heating them up in their lunch pails by holding their candles underneath.

Now you can get vegetarian versions with taters, carrots, peas, sesame seeds, corn, and string beans. Covered with mushroom gravy, it keep syou going all day.

I figured that everyone has seen new york and california on the tv, so why not see where folks like Sarah and myself are from as well?

another weird thing: they're making a movie set up here, with the UP 200 dogsled race as the background.
    Except they're filming it in Canada. So they are gathering signs and whatnot from the area for use intheir movie to make it look like the UP.

I think we could have used the money here.

By R.C. on Saturday, May 22, 1999 - 04:56 pm:

So it's not a dessert item? Rats!

And yes -- I'll bet MI certainly cheaper to film in than Canada when you deduct the transportation costs of setting up a production across the border. Find out who's running yr film conission & write them a letter. There's supposed to be someone on their staff who specifically goes out to recruit film work for yr area/providing cost comparisons & such.

It's cheaper to shoot in Canada vs. NY or LA. But MI costs shd be less than Canada's.

By Semillama on Saturday, May 22, 1999 - 06:20 pm:

Apparently not. they're probabaly filming it near a metro center. We're 4 hours away from Green Bay, which might add transportation costs. I 'm not certain but I think it's either a Ben Stiller or a Billy Bob Thornton movie.

IF anyone's seen "Anatomy of a murder" with Jimmy Stewart, that was filmed up here.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact