Worship at the altar of Mahir!

sorabji.com: Surfwatch: Worship at the altar of Mahir!
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Semillama on Wednesday, November 10, 1999 - 08:13 pm:

By heather on Wednesday, November 10, 1999 - 09:11 pm:

wow

he likes sex

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, November 10, 1999 - 10:30 pm:

That was unspeakably depressing. Thanks.

By Jane on Thursday, November 11, 1999 - 03:10 am:

Mahir can be reached by cell, phone, fax, email, snail mail and car, boat and train apparently. Surprised he didn't put up a detailed map.

He also likes the accordion.

By Cyst on Thursday, November 11, 1999 - 10:13 am:

izmir is the city that used to be called smyrna.

I spent my vacation there this summer, though I never met mahir.

By heather on Thursday, November 11, 1999 - 11:17 am:

he would be very disappointed to hear that

By heather on Thursday, November 11, 1999 - 11:19 am:

who's the first to get the 'sexy invitate'?

By Patrick on Thursday, November 11, 1999 - 01:13 pm:

that guys site has been fucked with for the last week now and it seems the original is now off line. I have seen 3 different versions of that guys site, peeps have been playing with him left and right........

By J on Thursday, November 11, 1999 - 01:31 pm:

Is he from Turkey?I thought I saw this dude too.

By Patrick on Thursday, November 11, 1999 - 01:42 pm:

yeah i sent you the original link ....."Are you ready for Love?"

By J on Thursday, November 11, 1999 - 01:50 pm:

Remember I couldn,t see it,but I saw it somewhere.Oh, so that,s what it was?I thought you were getting kinky,

By Patrick on Thursday, November 11, 1999 - 01:56 pm:

that too

By Agatha on Thursday, November 11, 1999 - 02:31 pm:

that was contribution from nate, i believe. what a gem. i think it's sad that the guy doesn't realize how pitiful his site is. maybe he doesn't know that people all over the world are laughing at him.

By Rhiannon on Thursday, November 11, 1999 - 02:39 pm:

Are you saying he didn't design that site linked above and the site you're talking about? And that someone else is just messing with him?

Oh, thank God.

It was the picture of him playing ping-pong in that basement that made me sick and want to cry. The pictures of him skiing (?) and on the beach at least showed him an a sort of jetset pose or something. But the picture of him in the dirty basement...it was like a glimpse into how sad and empty his life really is, and that was just more than I could bear.

Does that ever happen to you? Those little tiny signs or events that just seem to open up people's lives like that?

There's a part in "The Silence of the Lambs" (the book, not the movie) that talks about exactly what I mean (if I can remember it right). Clarice is talking to the man (Chilton) that runs the asylum where Hannibal Lechter is kept, and Chilton is hitting on her, and he mentions having "a ticket" (singular) to a concert....and in that instant Clarice can see into his life -- him sitting at home alone eating TV dinners in a beat-up armchair, etc. -- and she recognizes how pathetic he truly is.

That's what I'm talking about.

By Rhiannon on Thursday, November 11, 1999 - 02:44 pm:

Wait, he wasn't skiing. He was standing on a wall with his friend. Whatever.

By Patrick on Thursday, November 11, 1999 - 02:47 pm:

this guy is probably the number one bachelor in turkey, don't feel sorry for him, he is probably scoring lonely women in their 40s left and right.........no the site you see above has be altered, as was one that nate sent me and you too agatha. perhaps the original one that i sent to nate (and he probabyl sent it to swine) was also a reproduction of the original.

By Cyst on Thursday, November 11, 1999 - 03:59 pm:

that guy is not the number one bachelor in turkey.

most men in turkey are like that, crazy for foreign women.

I could not count on all my fingers and toes the number of times I got taken out for meals with guys in turkey.

my main guy, nizam, was really handsome. except he was crazy.

By Nate on Thursday, November 11, 1999 - 04:22 pm:

all men are crazy.

the guy is a school teacher. i imagine the pingpong picture to be him in a teacher role, playing with his class.

By Gee on Thursday, November 11, 1999 - 05:50 pm:

Heather, how do you get your name in lowercase like that? I can never get the first letter in my name to be tiny.

By swine on Thursday, November 11, 1999 - 08:16 pm:

put a space in front of your name and you can lower your case, too.

the prevailing theory is that foreign men (especially from the middle and far east) are exposed to hollywood product, get a head full of T&A, and thereby deduce that all american women are easy.

at least that's what the instructors told all the women during the intro for the south india term abroad program. apparently they wanted to make sure all those 20-22 year old women knew exactly *why* they were getting felt up on public busses.

it works both ways, though. we had indian students from the all-womens' school that acted as the host college. one of them gained admission to Bowdoin. when she came to visit, the first thing she did was fuck my brains out. and then she fucked D's brains out. i think she did his room-mate, too.

insatiable little biscuit.

repression turns women into sex machines.

By hydrozoa on Thursday, November 11, 1999 - 11:18 pm:

i heard of mahir only this week, via the onion, and i was amazed when i posted the article on another bbs only to have it flooded with replies--they knew! they were well-acquainted. i felt like a big disco-dancing goon. and, now, here you folks are, talking about mahir like he's your krazy turkish uncle. i've been left out of the club.

::choke::

hi, guys.

By agatha on Friday, November 12, 1999 - 03:29 am:

that's an interesting name you have there, hydrozoa.

i'm glad you told me about the space in front of the name, swine. it always bugged me that i couldn't be lowercase in my entire post.

By NATE on Friday, November 12, 1999 - 10:54 am:

I AM CAMPAIGNING ON THE UPPERCASE PLATFORM. I DO NOT BELIEVE YOU SHOULD BE NEGLECTING THE NEEDS OF THE UPPERCASE CHARACTER SET. YOU PEOPLE DISGUST ME.

By mista swine on Friday, November 12, 1999 - 11:06 am:

god damn foreigners.

By sEMILLAMA on Friday, November 12, 1999 - 02:07 pm:

i found out about mahir on alt.slack. There's a lot of weird shit floating around there.

By Gee on Friday, November 12, 1999 - 10:38 pm:

I take back what I said about you guys teasing me. I take back what I said about Swine being mean. You're a good guy Swine. There's a spot in heaven for you and me, buddy boy.

heeheehee. I'm sorry. That just made me laugh.

I went to the museum today and didn't have fun. I haven't been there since I was a little little kid and we all wore our museum buttons on our ears like earrings. I've wanted to go back for soooo long. And now I did and I was so busy taking notes for school that I didn't have time to enjoy myself. By the time I finished taking notes I decided it was time to leave, so I didn't even get to look at anything except the Egyptian exhibits (which as I said, I couldn't enjoy). I did swing by the Greek stuff, though, and there was a statue of Aphrodite with no head and no arms and wotnot, and she was wearing a transparent gown and it was so beautiful. No head, but it was the most beautiful thing I've seen in a long time.

The funny thing about those greek statues. The ones with heads anyway. They have no real eyes, but when I look at them I feel like they're Holding me. It's like some 70's movie where the innocent girl is possessed by the evil spirit in the statue. That's how I felt. It's stupid but that's how I felt. Especially when looking at the head of Dionysus. That seems weird, because compared to the other gods, he was a really good guy. I felt it with Zeus too, but that makes sense cuz he was mean.

Aphrodite's bust was spell-binding, but in a good way. Everytime I looked at a piece of her body or head I felt like it was a good thing. I have always felt like Aphrodite was a very misunderstood goddess.

I want to say more but I don't think anyone has gotten this far.

By Rhiannon on Friday, November 12, 1999 - 11:04 pm:

I have. Did you know that Greek statues (and buildings) were not originally intended to be seen as plain white marble, but were actually painted with garish colors?

It's a fact!

By semillama on Saturday, November 13, 1999 - 01:49 am:

True. a lot of greek statues had eyes as well, which either fell off or wore off over time. It's easy to get sort of unstuck in time when contemplating ancient art. I like to imagine the artisit as they are creating the thing I am looking at know, and wonder what motivated them and what they considered the most important thing about their art. A lot fo greek art touches me like that. I get the smae feeling when I find prehistoric artifacts out in the field. The pottery, man, to touch something that someone used everyday 2000 years ago, that's something!

By hydrozoa on Saturday, November 13, 1999 - 07:26 pm:

thanks, agatha. ("interesting" could be a compliment, i guess.)

i use the space in front of my name only to make you feel bad about yourself.

By Patrick on Monday, November 15, 1999 - 03:19 pm:

right Rhi, its interesting to note that in Renaissance and Baroque architecture, in paying homage to trilogy and the ancient greek ways they made of lot their sculptures pure white because thats all was left.

In fact it wasn't until the last 50 years or so they realized the ancient greeks had colored their bldgs and statues.

By heather on Monday, November 15, 1999 - 04:31 pm:

not quite true patrick

the polychromy debate regarding ancient architecture was a major topic for a time in german theory of the early 19th century.

my memory is really fuzzy on this so i suppose that it could have begun even earlier- but i think it's funny that despite the knowledge (pigment samples and all) the 'classical' building is still highly connected to 'whiteness'

By Patrick on Monday, November 15, 1999 - 04:38 pm:

according to my architecture history class i took, he gave us the impression that is wasn't until they studied samples under microscopes that they found the pigments, i could be wrong, but it's still a relatively new discovery

By heather on Monday, November 15, 1999 - 04:46 pm:

see what i'm saying is- i don't think it's as new as you think.

my german architectural theory class professor (really young and already author of a few books) brought it up

i'll look it up and get back to you

my slight advantage is, however, that i study architecture

By Cyst on Tuesday, November 16, 1999 - 10:21 am:

there's a museum full of ancient greek statues in izmir, the town mahir is from.

I love izmir. it's an aegean port, the second-largest city in turkey. our $10 room had air conditioning, and we were there when peaches were in season.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact