thorough examination of scientology

sorabji.com: Surfwatch: thorough examination of scientology
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By semillama on Saturday, November 13, 1999 - 04:00 am:

i found this to be an interesting and informative site.

By Sheila on Saturday, November 13, 1999 - 10:37 am:

llama, if the messing with Time/Bob thing doesn't get you killed, this will. there is an entity in the county where i work called The Church of Spiritual Technology, getting ready to build a thing of immense proportions, under the ground, for the purpose of archiving l.ron's opera for all time. they are scientologists, of course, and have completely corrupted our permit and environmental processing. the project is so hush-hush that the planner working on it has taken a vow. we are all secretly watching with interest, and keeping our comments to ourselves. even i have stopped making sport of the scientology planner to his face. this started months ago, and i mentioned it then and would love to provide a progress report, but, There Are None..... no project tracking, no public files, Nothing. no one (aka noone) even brings it up at staff meeting any more. i'm sort of wondering, if after i post this, something will appear in my Critical Incident File down at the plant.

By Cyst on Saturday, November 13, 1999 - 09:45 pm:

I wasn't even drunk the other night and I found myself yelling at a couple heading into the scientology "celebrity center" downtown, "DON'T DO IT! DON'T DO IT!!!"

I think I've mentioned on here before how a friend wrote a story about them for the school paper, and she got a personal home visit from one of their big-ass private investigators. he told her about some of her own family history and that she shouldn't ever fuck with them again.

By Semillama on Saturday, November 13, 1999 - 10:32 pm:

hey, I just provided the link. I didn't put up the page. still, it blows me away how easily that group acquired power. What will happen once scientologists start running for office? At least I know my religion is a sci-fi fantasy. Or kill me.

By Cyst on Saturday, November 13, 1999 - 11:10 pm:

it's too bad not everyone realizes their religion is a sci-fi fantasy.

By Antigone on Sunday, November 14, 1999 - 01:42 am:

Stop fucking with my religion.

By Antigone on Sunday, November 14, 1999 - 01:42 am:

Just kidding.

By Patrick on Monday, November 15, 1999 - 03:43 pm:

the new issue of Gear magazine has 20 things you never knew about scientologists. It's a must read.

The scientologists are scary people. They are the only religion to be a defendent in a federal felony case. One involving breaking an entering into the IRS when they were denied tax exempt status. Now they work from the inside out.

I recommend a book called the Blue Sky or something like that. This guy wrote all about the scientologists and has spent his life running. He used to be a high ranking officer. He has had to have plastic surgey and such to hide his identitiy. My friend bought the book with a credit card and had those freaks coming to her door within 3 months. She was in acting classes that she soon found out were run by these freaks. When she stopped going she got phone calls for 6 months, they started out like "hey we miss you please come back " to "N...you NEED to come back you are making a big mistake with your life and if you do not come back....."etcetcetc

on hollywood lvd. a block away there are several large bldgs inluding the bookstore. They have this lonely guy standing outside with a "stress machine" and a table with aa hand ful of books. I see people hooked up to it and I want to scream out to them, RUN RUN RUN !!!!!! They always try to offer me literature and I tell them "you people scare me" and keep walking. They probably already have a file on me because i walk by all the time. So to counteract this type of terrorism, whenever I have my camera, I walk by and "take pictures". I would never waste film on those fucks, but I like to see their reaction.

By Rhiannon on Monday, November 15, 1999 - 03:53 pm:

Somehow they got my name because I get handwritten letters and postcards from them all the time offering me things...books and such, not salvation.

By Patrick on Monday, November 15, 1999 - 04:14 pm:

the books are the salvation, sales are essential to a smoothing running cult

By Patrick on Tuesday, November 16, 1999 - 04:48 pm:

20 things you probably didn't know about Scientology

1)"I'd like to start a religion. That's where the money is at" said L.Ron Hubbard in 1948. Six years later we have Scientology.

2)Forbes magazine reported that Hubbard, who died in 1986, was bringing in well over a million a week from the Church in the early 80s

3)Scientology's creation theory in a nutshell: 75 million years ago, a galactic ruler named Xenu transported people from outer space to earth, placed them in volcanoes and detonated hydrogen bombs. he resultant trauma became the of human ills and neuroses. The object of Scientology is to clear oneself of these evils.

4)Hubbard said he developed the basis for Scientology during WW2 when he claimed he healed his own wounds through mental powers

5)No records indicate he was injured in WW2. They do show his commander relieved him of duty stating "Lt. Hubbard is not temperamentally fitted for independent command. It is therefore urgent requested that he be detached."

6)When Hubbards 2nd wife Sara N. Hubbard, divorced him in 1951, she originally accused him of subjecting her to "scientific torture experiments', as well as strangulation, beatings, assault with an auto, kidnapping their infant daughter and bigamy. She later recanted in exchange for a a financial settlement.

7)Hubbard had not yet divorced his first wife Margaret Louis at the time of his marriage to Sara

8)Scientology offers world wide network of Church Celebrity Centers which "accommodate the unique needs and aspirations of these individuals" at luxurious resorts.

9)Feb 22 is an official church holiday. It commemorates the opening of the Celebrity Center in LA (my note, they took one of the most beautiful old bldg. in old school Hollywood to boot!).

10)the voice behind Bart Simpson, is a Scientologist as is Isaac Hayes.

11)The Cult Awareness Network(CAN) a hotline set up in the 70s to help find cult escapees had an acrimonious relationship with Scientology The church overwhelmed it with a barrage of lawsuits that left it bankrupt. CAN was then bought by a Scientologist.

12)Scientologist vehemently oppose drug use. Burt during the church's battle with the IRS in the early 70s, Hubbard Jr. testified "i have personal knowledge that my father regularly used illegal drugs including amphetamines, barbs and hallucinogens...cocaine, peyote, and mescaline"

13)The Sea Org was the church's navy for elite scientlogists with a complete flotilla of ships and uniforms. Among other missions. It searched for gold in the Mediterranean allegedly hidden there by Hubbard in his earlier incarnations.

14)In 1977 Mary Sue Hubbard, Ron's wife, and 10 other Scientologist were jailed for breaking and entering into the IRS to copy documents and plant electronic bugs.

15)Another Son, Quentin Hubbard attempted suicide more than once and succeeded in 1976 at age 22. Critics have said that his problems was his father's vehement disapproval of homosexuality.

16)In 1998 a former member sued the church, John Travolta and 21 other members on the grounds that they misled him into believing scientology could "cure" his gayness. Michael Pattinson, a Beverly Hills artist, says he $500,000 and 25 years trying to become heterosexual and alleges in court papers the church offered the John Travolta-kelly Preston marriage as proof it could be done. Travolta denies that he is or was gay.

17)Scientology is the first church in US history to be named as a defendant in a felony case.

18)In 1995 Lisa McPherson, a 36 year old member, dies of dehydration after spending 17days a ta Scientologist owned hotel in Clearwater Florida. The family charges that the church staffers restrained her under 24 hours watch in a room where she was sedated.

19)Scientology's history of filing law suits stems from LRon Hubbard's directive to attack adversaries through any means necessary. Enemies may be "tricked, sued, lied to or destroyed", wrote Hubbard.

20)The recorded thoughts of Hubbard are buried deep under New Mexico hills in steel-lined tunnels designed to withstand and survive nuclear war. Thousands of metal records are stored in heat resistant titanium boxes, and are played on a solar powered turntable.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact