tried to go to Surrealist Compliment Generator but it was gone

sorabji.com: Surfwatch: tried to go to Surrealist Compliment Generator but it was gone
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Nelly on Tuesday, November 16, 1999 - 05:14 pm:

By Markus on Tuesday, November 16, 1999 - 05:24 pm:

Questions or comments regarding this site may be directed to Jamie Waggoner at the following address: waggoner@pcg.wustl.edu

Howya been, Nelly?

By Markus on Tuesday, November 16, 1999 - 05:35 pm:

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, November 16, 1999 - 06:07 pm:

"Your intelligence is equal to the smoothness of a walnut shell."

Aw, shucks.

Have you ever heard of surrealist dialogues? My best friend L. and I used to do them all the time in high school and since.

You need two people. One person writes the first half of a sentence (whose form has been agreed upon) and the second person writes the second half. This is done without consultation. You can also do questions, so one person writes "what is..." questions, and the other person writes "it is..." answers.

The coolest part about this is that the quality of responses you get is entirely independent of the quality of brains you have participating in the exercise. When we were seniors in high school, L. and I got the chance to teach 2 English classes for a day, one Advanced Placement and the other remedial. We did the dialogues in both classes, and both classes had a lot of fun doing them, and both classes' dialogues turned out really well.

The artistry comes in the way that the two people's phrases combine...sometimes it's like you and your partner are psychically linked, the way the two of you think of the same imagery at the same time.

L. and I did some on Saturday. Here are some examples:

L: When the prostitute's white hand presses the window...
    R: ...lives will be given away for free

L: When an unseemly laugh is the only sound in the hall...
    R: ...an old man will discover his heart among stones

R: What is a lantern made of ice?
    L: It is a lover without a pulse

R: What is a beam in the eye?
    L: It is a shard of red glass on a dirty floor

R: What is the secret of the sibyl?
    L: It is the last hope of the idealists

R: If words carried weight...
    L: ...then the misers would swallow their coins

L: If a lion's claws stroked the child's head...
    R: ...then Jonah would swallow the whale

R: When flames leave the heart untouched...
    L: ...the gold of a pure heart will melt and lose form

R: When darkness no longer hides the mysteries...
    L: ...the last whimper of a crying child will echo

And our favorite (in which I borrowed from Tod Ashley of Cop Shoot Cop):

L: If perverse joy were the only remedy for pain
    R: ...then murder would be a kind of inner peace

By Patrick on Tuesday, November 16, 1999 - 06:12 pm:

my friends and I, when sitting around (usually drinking), sometimes enage in a group poem, where as one writes 2 lines, folds the paper down so only one of the previous lines are exposed and you pass it to the next to continue. We find the outcome just as interesting. the more invovled the better

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, November 16, 1999 - 06:21 pm:

We did that in my poetry class a couple years ago, and the final poem was amazingly coherent. It's neat when that happens, like we're all on the same wavelength.

By hydrozoa on Tuesday, November 16, 1999 - 08:54 pm:

By Nelly on Tuesday, November 16, 1999 - 11:55 pm:

Thank you Markus. Your wit, your teeth, your pasty reflection can but incorporate freely into the powerful surface of a disintegrating mirror set afloat upon a swarm of locusts.

I've been fine.

By Cyst on Wednesday, November 17, 1999 - 01:47 am:

"You have not yet reached the height of your depravity."

By Droop on Wednesday, November 17, 1999 - 02:01 am:

"most certainly, your fingernails stimulate magnetism in the most organic of solvents; and you are an asshole."

By Spider on Wednesday, November 17, 1999 - 09:26 am:

"May you always be as vivid as your hallucinations."

That's kind of sweet, actually.

By MoonIt on Wednesday, November 17, 1999 - 10:03 pm:

I love your eyes, but only with ketchup.

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, November 17, 1999 - 11:10 pm:

"In your presence even my shadow acquires the sensation of touch."

Oh, I like that.

By heather on Wednesday, November 17, 1999 - 11:12 pm:

"Your love is like 1000 caucasian carnivores playing mumblety peg with an eggplant."

By MoonIt on Thursday, November 18, 1999 - 03:22 am:

Damn I lost the rules to mumblety peg... anyone else know how to play?

By Lightly confused on Thursday, December 2, 1999 - 12:42 pm:

no, is it the same as "stretch" with throwing a small knife or sharp object then stretching out to match the length?

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact