Ass Lover's Home Page

sorabji.com: Surfwatch: Ass Lover's Home Page
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By sarah on Friday, January 21, 2000 - 09:09 pm:

By Isolde on Friday, January 21, 2000 - 09:35 pm:

*screams and flees in terror through the halls of the Pentagon, trailing a belly dancer's costume*

By semillama on Friday, January 21, 2000 - 10:08 pm:

What the hell is that all about? How did you stumble across that?

By Isolde on Saturday, January 22, 2000 - 12:17 am:

*recovering on the couch in the corner* Perhaps we don't want to ask...

By agatha on Saturday, January 22, 2000 - 01:04 pm:

am i missing something? there aren't any pictures or anything, are there?

By Spider on Saturday, January 22, 2000 - 02:48 pm:

Isolde, are you seeing something I'm not? And isn't there a word missing in "want some of ass?"

By semillama on Saturday, January 22, 2000 - 03:03 pm:

Yeah, inquiring minds want to know.

By Gee on Saturday, January 22, 2000 - 03:07 pm:

that was odd.

especially the part that said 388 people had been there. that's Really odd.

By sarah on Saturday, January 22, 2000 - 05:22 pm:

i know. isn't it grand? art imitates life.

feel the love. see the beauty.

By Isolde on Saturday, January 22, 2000 - 05:44 pm:

Er...no. I didn't. But the principle frightened me plenty.

By M on Saturday, January 22, 2000 - 09:23 pm:

I think that page is the end of the internet. You're surfing away, and poof, there you are at the end of the information superhighway - literally.

By Isolde on Saturday, January 22, 2000 - 09:28 pm:

Does the internet have edges?

By J on Saturday, January 22, 2000 - 09:58 pm:

I don,t know,but that web page is worse than mine and mine,s pretty lame.

By M on Saturday, January 22, 2000 - 10:06 pm:

That reminds me a some strange movie I saw "The Cube". As I rerember, it was about a group of people, an idiot savant(e) sp?, an African American guy, a woman mathematician, an agressive white male, and some other people, caught in a giant Rubix cube type thing in outer space. They could move from box to box inside the cube by supposedly solving mathematical problems on the doors of the boxes. Some force controlled the periodic shifting of the boxes that made up the cube. One of them eventually fell out of the cube and disappeared and somehow reappeared. The point of the movie was that they had combine all their talents to solve the puzzle and escape. I think it was an independant film channel movie. Delightful, no? Perhaps not. Anyway -

As for the beginning of the internet, I'm beginning to think it's right here.

By Isolde on Saturday, January 22, 2000 - 10:14 pm:

And if it has edges, how come more people don't fall off?
    Maybe it's a Myst wannabe? We have to click on the various items on the page in a particular order to get anywhere? I'm really not certain.

By J on Saturday, January 22, 2000 - 10:32 pm:

Why do you say that? I can,t believe I use to have an account with Data Doctors when they first started out,now they have their own radio show and a spot in the paper,and I just went around dusting the computers and trying to get up all the screws,that was one of my few accounts that I had to do while they were there.After getting this webtv,a year and a half ago,I,ve been so impressed that we bought stock in it(internet,not webtv) and it has almost tripled in less than a year,if my rental house sells,I want to buy more.The way schools are now a days,I think I,d home school my kids if I could do over again,you can learn about anything.I,m so jealous of these kids that learned computers at grade school,I finally got one and am completely overwhelmed,I,m going to have to take a class,or pay someone to help me figure it out,I can search and get and read my e-mail,but I can,t figure out how to delete it.I have windows 98,I don,t think the guy that built this for me really understands how little I know.But you,re right Markus,it,s just really taking off now,I just want to know why you think so.

By Isolde on Saturday, January 22, 2000 - 10:41 pm:

I'm not jealous. I think that students should be allowed to decide whether or not they want to be eaten by the techno monstor before it eats them. I must be getting old fashioned or something. I always thought they should ban calculators in the schools--most people don't know their times tables anymore. That makes me weep somewhere inside. Alas. I guess computers are such a part of our live at this point...Still. Sometimes I boot up my old Amiga and wish I could simply go back...

By Mendel on Saturday, January 22, 2000 - 10:56 pm:

Sorry for the confusion. I'm not Markus, just a some other guy whose name begins with M. I'll post as someone else. Regardless, I think you're correct abt this tech. just being in its infancy. No great revelation but I wonder where it will be in ten years. Many internet stocks are losing great wads of money and will not be around in a year. You seem to work the puter just fine J.

By Markus on Saturday, January 22, 2000 - 11:01 pm:

The Net will have become successful when it disappears from our lives. In other words, it will become so ubiquitous that we don't even notice it anymore and don't talk about the "Internet" anymore. All it is, is the physical carrier for the massive flows of information. Information is power. The old flow directions used to take centuries to change; for example, ruler to ruled, newspaper to reader (updated information delivery technology such as radio and television didn't alter this pattern). The telephone, like the car, was a massive wrench in the flow patterns, letting individuals decide where they wanted to go today, to paraphrase Microsoft [spit]. But the Net is changing almost everything. The examples are well discussed, how everyone's a publisher now; my cynical leftish friend used to say that freedom of the press was great for anyone who owned a press. Now that's us. Even less obvious things are changing, such as the structure of capitalism itself, and not just whether you buy a book from a store or amazon.com. Business to business (B2B) commerce is one of the unheralded revolutions now being fought on the Net, as well as other commerce not as obvious as offering things for sale like a normal storefront plopped online.

I'm getting a buzz on and not feeling very eloquent tonight, and haven't really consciously thought about any of these things until now, so it's disjointed. But if you're looking for tech stocks, look under the hood of the Internet. Companies like mine building and operating the fiber lines are obvious choices, as well as the manufacturers of the hardware. Cisco is expensive now, but has a long run still ahead of it. Hell, it's a blue chip of Net stocks. But there are less obvious Net infrastructure businesses, such as Web design, B2B software companies, content deliverers, etc.

When the satellite phone craze was on a few years ago, I couldn't say if Iridium or Globalstar or another one would win the race, but I did figure that they all had to get their large network of satellites up in the air, so I invested in Orbital Sciences among others, and did OK. Don't just look at the sharks in a feeding frenzy; try to figure out which remoras and smaller fish are going to benefit from the feast as well.

By Markus on Saturday, January 22, 2000 - 11:04 pm:

I just looked at the title of this thread...stock tips filed under "Ass Lover's Home Page".

I think the Internet as such in our consciousness won't exist in ten years. We'll only see the bodywork that's hiding the framework.

By J on Saturday, January 22, 2000 - 11:04 pm:

Sorry M,I,m always confused,I plan to get out of the stock market in about 5 years,I think it,s still all good till then,plus I was thinking that Federal Express and U.P.S. too, they deliver those internet purchase goodies.

By Markus on Saturday, January 22, 2000 - 11:09 pm:

That's what I was trying to say.

By Mendel on Saturday, January 22, 2000 - 11:23 pm:

What I can't figure out is why the government or whatever other media powers that be have not stepped in, to this point at least, and squashed this beautiful ability to "pull" information. This ability, no doubt, will be challenged in the near future under the guise of some form of protectionism in the not too distant future.

Isolde, my son will not own a calculator until he has mastered his multiplication tables at least into the twelves.

By J on Monday, January 24, 2000 - 09:02 am:

The man,big bro is already hard at work trying to invade our privacy on the net,and they won,t stop.

By Isolde on Monday, January 24, 2000 - 12:38 pm:

Mendel, you're a good man.
    I, unfortunately, did not have that oppurtunity because the school force fed them to me. Now I have an HP48G that I bought for some math class in college. I think it's frustrated, because I don't perform any of the nifty functions on it. I just balance the checkbook.
    My math skills are pathetic.
    I got a 580 on the math part of my SAT.

By Mendel on Monday, January 24, 2000 - 12:59 pm:

All I know is that I know very little. Less and less each day in fact.

I used to also think 1984 was so far-fetched. The movie was not half bad either - scared the shit out of me. Odd that we as a society would hurtle into a medium like the internet where all your moves are so easily traced.

By J on Monday, January 24, 2000 - 02:56 pm:

Wait till they put those chips in you,the man is going to track you in the real world too.

By Scrooge on Monday, January 24, 2000 - 11:35 pm:

"I don't know anything, I never did know anything, but now I know that I don't know, all on a christmas morn'."

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact