Hearts

sorabji.com: Surfwatch: Hearts
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Markus on Thursday, February 10, 2000 - 12:43 am:

I'm a ruined man. I just found a Hearts gamesite and I'm going to register now, even though it is run by the Evil Empire. I may never be heard from again.

They're also running an onnline tournament, grnad prize of which is a trip to SF for the winning two-person team. Any Hearts fiends out there?

By cyst on Thursday, February 10, 2000 - 01:27 am:

I have played hearts a lot.

I once made a valentine's day comic whose first panel showed a game of hearts being played.

HEARTS

PANEL ONE: a ken doll-type guy is playing hearts with some other guys. in the background, two girls are standing around, and the one who is supposed to be me says, "isn't he dreamy?" at the hearts table one of other players tells ken, "you can't throw points until hearts have been broken." he says, "ok..."

PANEL TWO: ken hands me a pack of sweethearts, and my thought bubble is full of psychedelic hearts (he likes me!!!).

PANEL THREE: I'm holding four hearts in my palm. they say: "I HATE U", "JUST SAY NO", "U R PRETTY...", "PRETTY UGLY!"

PANEL FOUR: I've turned into a witch. I'm standing over a bubbling cauldron. I have a two-headed deer slung over one arm, and I'm holding its heart in my other hand. words made from some strange alphabet are coming from my angry mouth. the caption is: "...oh deer heart of harts..."

PANEL FIVE: a speech bubble is coming from someone outside the panel. it says, "ATTACK, HEART, ATTACK!" a big dog with a heart-shaped tag on its collar is barking at our ken, who is panicked and clutching his chest.

PANEL SIX: I'm at dinner with my geeky chick friend. the reader can see her (she's wearing a sweatshirt with a big heart on the front). my back is to the reader. there's a stephen crane book on the table. she asks me, "is it good, friend?" I reply, "it is bitter -- bitter. but I like it because it is bitter."

PANEL SEVEN: I've torn my heart out of my chest and am eating it. I've gotten blood over everything. I tell her, "and because it is my heart."

By Gee on Thursday, February 10, 2000 - 03:35 am:

oh. when you said "comic" I thought you meant it would be funny, like Garfield or something.

when I was little I used to make comic strips (funny ones) in mspaint that were based on my dogs. I thought they were so funny. I wish I still had them, but all that's left is the very first strip, which is in my mother's room.

By cyst on Thursday, February 10, 2000 - 10:23 am:

last night, for an entirely different reason, I was trying to remember what the last lines of that stephen crane poem were.

but I was very, very tired and I couldn't find my favorite literature anthology. I tried looking it up in a couple other books, but I couldn't remember the title or the first line. and in the authors' index, I kept looking up "joyce carol oates."

because she wrote a book called "because it is bitter and because it is my heart." or something like that. but stephen crane wrote the poem.

ok. I just looked it up on the web.

THE HEART

In the desert
    I saw a creature, naked, bestial,
    Who, squatting upon the ground,
    Held his heart in his hands,
    And ate of it.

I said, "Is it good, friend?"
    "It is bitter - bitter," he answered;
    "But I like it
    Because it is bitter,
    And because it is my heart."

- Stephen Crane

it's been the sort of week when you write out percy shelley poems on notebook paper and mail them to friends.

another friend got this in the mail. I hope it didn't seem threatening:

APPOINTMENT IN SAMARRA

Death Speaks...

There was a merchant in Bagdad who sent his servant to market to buy provisions and in a lttle while the servent came back, white and trembling, and said, "Master, just now when I was in the market place I was jostled by a woman in the crowd and when I turned I saw it was Death that jostled me.

He looked at me and made a threatening gesture; now, lend me your horse and I will ride away from this city and avoid my fate. I will go to Samarra and there Death will not find me." The merchant lent him his horse, and he dug his spurs in its flanks and as fast as the horse could gallop he went. Then the merchant went down to the market place and he saw me standing in the crowd and he came to me and said, "Why did you make a threatening gesture to my servant when you saw him this morning?. "That was not a threatening gesture," I said, "It was only a start of surprise.I was astonished to see him in Bagdad, for I had an appointment with him tonight in Samarra."

by Somerset Maugham

wouldn't that be a great name for a subdivision, "somerset maugham"?

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact