CALCULATE YOUR ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT

sorabji.com: Surfwatch: CALCULATE YOUR ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By _pf on Monday, June 25, 2001 - 09:52 pm:

By Cat on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 01:54 am:

I thought this must be spam when I first saw it, but it's actually really good:

"Your Eco-Footprint measures 178.2% of an average American Footprint."

I am a bad girl. I'm good on food but really crappy on tranportation and housing.

By Spunky on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 06:22 am:

90.2%

By Nate on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 09:55 am:

6.3%

By Nate on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 09:59 am:

or, 105.1%

By Spunky on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 10:01 am:

i thought with my transportation score and affinity for all things meat that I would fare far worse then I did.

By Spider on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 10:13 am:

43.5 %

By Nate on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 11:05 am:

i need to work on making mine higher. i am much too important to be so close to the average.

i should be up there with cat.

By heather on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 11:14 am:

55%

and for the record. it's all complete bullshit and means NOTHING.

PROPAGANDA

By patrick on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 11:53 am:

76.4%

not bad for an Angelino i think.

By Nate on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 11:57 am:

the only thing high for me was commute.

if i were an angelino, i'd be low like you.

By semillama on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 02:29 pm:

Your Eco-Footprint measures 91.8 % of an average American Footprint.

It would be less except that I am lazy, and travel for work.

By wisper on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 05:36 pm:

41.2%

but those miles/kilometers/gallons/gas questions fucked with my math converting skills.

By Cat on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 05:39 pm:

Arghhhh...I am so bad. But they didn't ask anything about recycling or composting or anything. Or that fact that I maintain 5 acres of natural bushland with hundreds of trees.

I always thought I was pretty environmentally friendly.

Guilt, guilt, guilt.

By agatha on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 09:37 pm:

31.4%

i am an ecological rocker!

By Nate on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 09:52 pm:

i'll work to compensate for agatha!

By heather on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 10:14 pm:

maybe you just need to commute a lot further

[hee, laughing cause that ain't like me]

By dave. on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 10:22 pm:

94.6% due mostly to my rekindled love of meat and driving 2000 miles/month.

i would ideally set aside 25% to other species.

"it requires 5.7 earths to support each member of the present human population at your standard of living."

this means i must now kill at least 82% of you to attain this. i am encouraging vrifs where possible but there will undoubtedly be pink slips.

By pez on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 01:45 am:

76% of average american.

300+ miles a week in a crappy old car alone. hydroelectric power, but pushing for wind.

i wish we americans weren't so wasteful.

By cyst on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 12:56 pm:

47.6 because I spent a bunch on a new fuel-efficent car, am able to afford a cute little apartment in the city, and spend my grocery money on healthful, low-cal food.

but I'm not sure how helpful I'm being when my 2,000-calories-a-day food choices are sparkling water imported from italy, mangos from mexico, bell peppers from dutch hothouses, frozen yogurt from vermont, grapes from chile, sockeye salmon from alaska, frozen ratatouille from france.

but in a great concession to environmentalism, I make sure that all my granny smith apples come from right here in washington!

By pez on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 02:41 pm:

i try to only buy organic vegetables when i go grocery shopping.

it's not hard, when the best apples in the grocery store are organic fujis that are so big and delicious and the juices drips down your arm when you take a bite. smile with the while flesh between your teeeth.

it takes 8+ miles to get to the max from home and my bike is broken. boohoo.

By cyst on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 03:06 pm:

in america, it seems that a lot of the environmentally friendly choices one can make really are luxuries only the rich can afford.

how many food stampers do you think can afford to buy only organic produce? I know I pay more because I live in a big city, but in stores around here, organic produce can cost $2 more a pound than the other stuff.

I would have considered buying the electro-gas hybrid toyota if it were only a couple thousand dollars (instead of $8,000) more than the little echo I got. and a lot of the poor people I know drive shitty old gas-guzzling clunkers. they should be ashamed of themselves!

I eat a whole lot of locally grown, in-season food when I go (via polluting airplanes) to the tropics. but it's not like I'm going to eat potatoes all winter long in the pacific northwest. I know that's what a lot of people do in eastern europe -- cabbage and beets and potatoes for eight months out of the year -- but it's not healthy to eat that way.

I have a friend who seems self-congratulatory when he claims he produces very little garbage. that's because he eats out in restaurants all the time; he can afford to have someone else carry his waste to the dumpster. just because his meals come from places with names that start with "la" and "il" doesn't mean those empty cartons don't end up in the same old landfills.

I always feel guilty when I go shopping and need a bag -- how many points is that worth?

By pez on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 03:12 pm:

everytime i go downtown i refuse to get a paper bag. i always refer to my backpack as an entity.

cleaned my room the other day. went through piles of papers books and pens. threw out one bag of trash and recycled: one bag of paper, two bags of plastic bags and one and a half bags of bottles and cans.

i have about four boxes of clothes shoes and magazines to sell/give away. more is in a basement closet.

By cyst on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 03:46 pm:

I try. I rinse and reuse ziploc baggies. I put the components of my lunch directly into my backpack instead of an extra bag; I use bread wrappers for my boyfriend's lunches. I put my home-state apples (and bananas and mandarins and peppers and zucchini, etc.) directly into the basket rather than putting them into extra plastic bags. I don't get stryrofoam takeout or delivery pizzas. I reuse my paper cups. I refill my water bottle. I read newspapers online. I accept paper grocery bags, then I reuse them as trash bags. I walk to the store. I recycle when facilities are available.

and I pretend that all these things make some small difference, but I don't actually believe it. because I wash my clothes and heat my apartment and use canned goods and drive my car to the gym and use a computer and take daily showers and clean the toilet with bleach and have a refrigerator and eat at restaurants and breathe oxygen and go to the movies and work in an air-conditioned office and eat turkey sandwiches and drink coffee and buy imported goods and buy new cotton clothes.

none of it matters. if you really care, I'm convinced that the very best you can do is get sterilized and convince others to do the same.

By pez on Wednesday, June 27, 2001 - 06:05 pm:

i had my kitten spayed.

there's not much else i can do at this point. i love being around small children. not that i'm going to have any for a looooooooong time.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact