Alternative energy / Energy conservation

sorabji.com: Surfwatch: Alternative energy / Energy conservation
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Antigone on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 02:14 pm:

From here:

"Other illuminating news at the conference centered on a newly developed type of nanocrystal called a nanophosphor that could help substantially alleviate the energy crisis. Several companies, most notably Nanocrystal Imaging Corp., headquartered in Briarcliff Manor, New York, say they are close to perfecting or have already perfected the ability to confine individual atoms inside tiny nanocrystals. One result is a very energy-efficient phosphor (a material that emits visible light). The development could signal a breakthrough in lighting technology, which has changed very little since the days of Thomas Edison. The most common tungsten-filament bulbs still use only about 5 percent of the electricity they consume to produce light, with the rest wasted as heat. Nanophosphors, on the other hand, convert electricity into light with an efficiency approaching 100 percent, making them roughly 20 times more efficient.

Worldwide, the energy savings would be enormous. Practical nanophosphors would also presumably reduce the demand for the generation of electricity, including from fossil fuel-powered plants that contribute to pollution and global warming. Outside the United States, for example, between 60 and 80 percent of all electricity is used to power lightbulbs, according to a recent Nanotech Planet report. In the U.S., keeping the lights on accounts for roughly 25 percent of the average household's energy consumption."

By patrick on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 02:16 pm:

GE will have none of that.

By drpy on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 02:51 pm:

hey, edison tried to suppress tesla's idea of alternating current so he could keep making money running his direct current plants. but we've all got plugs in the wall now. you can't keep a good energy source down.

By spunky on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 03:01 pm:

The oil industry has succeeded for quite some time now

By eri on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 04:29 pm:

Actually, that sounds really cool. I would love something that would reduce our average electric bill by 25%. I would love something more energy efficient, but in my cave I am unsure whether or not this is environmentally friendly. Of course, I don't believe that the electric companies will go for it because of their loss of money. Anyways, I am babbling like a dumbass so I will stop.

By dave. on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 05:53 pm:

your bill will never go down. they'll raise the prices to cover the losses until somebody with more power stops them -- then, we'll be paying them. rest assured: we will all pay more and more until we die. i guess it's possible to buy solar and fuel cell stuff and but that has its own costs. it takes money to save money and if you have that extra money laying around, why the fuck would you care in the first place?

the people who get off the grid are all anal retentive control freaks with trust funds, probably virgos, and nobody likes to spend much time with them because they're too fucking high maintenance.

By Antigone on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 06:45 pm:

I'm a libra, but I'd like to be off the grid.

This would do nicely.

Note that it's in development for sale in Japan. The US power interests do not rule the planet.

By patrick on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 06:55 pm:

"....meet the electricity, heating, and hot water needs of typical Japanese homes."

dude a pair of double A batteries could meet the needs of the typical japanese homes.

of course power for the toilet is another matter in japan.

By Ophelia on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 02:09 pm:

"dude a pair of double A batteries could meet the needs of the typical japanese homes"

this aint true, but if it was, kudos to them. i'm still in favor of simply decreasing our energy consumption. of course, it don't make much sense to expect people to give up their technology and whatnot, but it sure would solve a lot of problems. We could do a lot just by putting better insulation into walls and turning off lights. it seems small, but it would make a difference. we just dont realize how much we waste, because in terms of our immediate budget, we can afford to be this wasteful.

By Antigone on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 03:57 pm:

dude, a pair of AA batteries might power your brain, but a Japanese home would probably take more.

Well, maybe AAA batteries for your brain.

By patrick on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 04:38 pm:

well i never.....hmph

By Nate on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 05:17 pm:

it's not a question of how much. it's a question of for how long?

By Spud on Sunday, June 9, 2002 - 01:08 am:

How long can a dildo run on a potato?

By Nate on Sunday, June 9, 2002 - 02:27 am:

not long.

By moonit on Sunday, June 9, 2002 - 03:32 am:

I went to a lingerie and toys party on friday night. They had a vibrator disguised as a lipstick.

I'm quite innocent you know, so found it amusing.

By Nate on Sunday, June 9, 2002 - 12:20 pm:

how many did you buy?

By moonit on Monday, June 10, 2002 - 02:16 am:

I didnt buy anything.

By sarah on Monday, June 10, 2002 - 09:36 am:

i've spent a lot of off the grid on the big island. it's fine. generators are noisy, but the thick jungle growth muffles the sound almost completely.

By patrick on Monday, June 10, 2002 - 12:11 pm:

moonit, thats answer is not condusive to a healthy thread, please try again.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact