Anti-State

sorabji.com: Surfwatch: Anti-State
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By spunky on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 09:36 pm:

I think this Site might fit some of you guys...

By Lapis on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 11:15 pm:

"Market Anarchism"?

No thank you. I prefer my anarchy without a market.

By Nate on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 11:42 pm:

"The alternative to rule is not freedom but the… tyranny of the most selfish member."
    C. S. Lewis

i've been trying to explain this to you lugnuts for years.

By spunky on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 11:44 pm:

Pez, if there were no market, you could not even be on the computer right now

By Nate on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 11:51 pm:

shush. let her be young.

By TBone on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 11:55 pm:

Yeah, the market is pretty cool. But they only hold it in the summer, every Saturday morning.

By Lapis on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 12:25 am:

That might be a good thing, not being on a computer. I might just spend more time writing.

It's a good thing too, that I'm young. Humph. I have exciting ideas and the energy to do things.... Sometimes.

Are my political views a direct result of my being young? Does it make me stupid and ill-educated? Maybe wanting to see the face of the farmer who grew my food makes me a savage. Grr.

It's Lapis, spunky, La-pis. Not pez. I dropped the name for a reason and I would appriciate it if you would call me Lapis.

By spunky on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 12:33 am:

K.
    Does it make me stupid and ill-educated?
    No, of course not. I am old and cynical.
    No need to growl, Lapis.

By Nate on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 12:45 am:

i meant nothing negative, pezuli.

i meant simply that your mind is not yet corrupted by mediocracy, and that you should be allowed your exciting ideas and energies.

By dave. on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 02:54 am:

implying there's a point, somewhere in the future, where those exciting ideas and energies become intolerable?

By Rowlf on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 09:19 am:

"implying there's a point, somewhere in the future, where those exciting ideas and energies become intolerable?"

i think at WalMart now you can trade in your exciting ideas and energies for a Toby Keith album

By semillama on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 11:07 am:

I'm not sure if nate is agreeing or diagreeing with those people at that website. I sort of think that spunky doesn't, but i am not about to say what he thinks based on his past posts.

Personally, I went through some of their responses in the FAQ and their reasoning is pretty piss poor. I noted that there was zero discussion about how to handle pollution, and a lot of ducking the main points of questions to address issues of semantics instead.

there was a question, for example, about pedophiles setting up a self-contained group where it is legal to have sex with minors, and the solution proposed was that their legal system would probably have war declared on it by other legal systems. Another question was about who provides military services, in the event of an invasion by an outside force. The example was a force similar to Mugabe's in Africa coming over the border. The solution was "Hire Acme Army!" Of course, I guess it's too bad if you can't afford Acme Army's prices, or if they can't meet your schedule, or if Mugabe offers them more money to fight on his side...

All in all, it's nice bit of fiction, but pretty far fetched to see it work in reality.

By Nate on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 12:29 pm:

i went to their early essays and picked one at random. it was written by a girl who admitted early on that she had nothing to say about her chosen belief system, and because she had nothing to say, she'd instead relate some conversations she had on a plane.

piss poor works for me.

By eri on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 01:07 pm:

I liked on the FAQ how they said that government was wrong but that law and order was necessary. My question could be how can you have law and order and not have any controlling government? Someone has to be in charge of it, the laws that pass, etc. Overall I found it to be contradictory to itself without having any facts to base it's ideas upon.

By spunky on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 02:57 pm:

". I noted that there was zero discussion about how to handle pollution, and a lot of ducking the main points of questions to address issues of semantics instead."
    Sounds kind of like a liberal site to me, based on Sem's comments....

How can there be? You need laws to address a lot of today's issues. The site advocates Anarchy.

By Lapis on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 03:19 pm:

Toby Keith? Wal Mart? No thank you.

Anarchy, as a concept, is very well and good. Beuracracy, as a concept, is very well and good as well. The problem with both is that some people will take advantage of others no matter what type of legal system (or lack thereof) is in place. It's not a problem in the system, it's something people have been doing for thousands of years.

It would be nice to have the government decentrilized, the lawmakers actually participating in the communities they govern. It would be nice if people were more socially, economically and ecologicly responsible for their actions but it's not going to happen as long as we don't make them do it.

By patrick on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 03:37 pm:

are you a big fan of willie nelson lapis? you should be.

he s on my radio at the moment, live in the studio.

god damn this guy's where its at.

By Rowlf on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 06:10 pm:

Willie Nelson duets with Toby Keith on his new album. Its disgustipating

Blue Skies
    Smiling at me
    Nothing but blue skies
    Do I see

If you've got the money honey
    I've got the time.

By semillama on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 07:44 pm:

Don't fuck with Willie.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact