Erik Satie

sorabji.com: Obscure Classical Composers: Erik Satie
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Monkey on Wednesday, November 25, 1998 - 12:25 pm:

Right, he's not obscure, but he is the most charming composer ever to grace the eyes and ears! Are there any pieces more enjoyable to play than "Dried Embryos" or "Chapters Turned Every Which Way?" The man was a genius, and it's inexpressably delightful to perform pieces that have storylines only the pianist may know (Satie himself forbade anyone to read his notes to the audience and said "no dispensations shall be granted").

Sadly, he died in poverty, as did most of the world's true artists. *sigh*

By A deceased guy on Wednesday, November 25, 1998 - 12:44 pm:

WOW ! I died in poverty, too !

By Jean cocteau on Thursday, December 3, 1998 - 06:08 pm:

you are on target. satie is the essence of musical joy

By Dougie on Monday, July 30, 2001 - 09:07 am:

The Gnossienes are very nice. Heard them for the first time on the radio yesterday. I tried to go to that sheetmusicarchive.com site that Mark had posted to download them, but looks like it's out of business. Damn their oily hides.

By Spider on Monday, July 30, 2001 - 10:16 am:

Hey, I posted the original post.

The Gnossienes are indeed very nice. I have a book of Satie's sheet music that I had to special order - other than the Gymnopedies, sheet music to his other pieces seems to be rare.

By Dougie on Monday, July 30, 2001 - 10:33 am:

You're Monkey too? Spider Monkey?

Yeah, I'll probably spring for it.

That sheetmusicarchive.com was really cool. Everything was in PDF format, and they had some good stuff -- got the Bach English Suites which I didn't have. Should've downloaded a lot more. I guess you always figure a site will be there tomorrow.

By Spider on Monday, July 30, 2001 - 11:14 am:

I think I was Monkey for that one post. I used to be a lot of things.

By pez on Tuesday, July 31, 2001 - 02:11 am:

gynopedies (#1) transcribed for flute is one of the first real solos i ever did.

it takes a lot of breath control to play that one.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact