Karlheinz Stockhausen

sorabji.com: Obscure Classical Composers: Karlheinz Stockhausen
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).
By Jeffrey Scott Holland on Monday, January 5, 1998 - 10:37 pm:
    the short version : German composer of avant-garde music and pieces written for electronics. Rose to prominence in the 1950's, did some really interesting work back then. Unfortunately, he quickly became flaky and pretentious. There's nothing worse than a musical performance for which you're required to read a pound of moronic art-manifesto B.S. before you can properly "understand" it. Having said that, I greatly enjoy his music, especially the early stuff. He's still alive and still working, though he must be in his seventies now.

His son is a musician too - haven't heard any of junior's stuff, but if I may be so judgmental, his web page gives me a feeling it's probably dreadful.

By Jicotea on Tuesday, January 6, 1998 - 12:20 am:
    Stockhausen fils is 100% New Age. I'm glad to hear somebody likes the early music of ol' KHS; the Zeitmasse Nr. 5 remains an anarchistic r gas 45 years on!

R.C.: My guess is you wouldn't like it. Don't get all antsy and run out to the nearest Borders.

I'm also glad to see J.S.H. exercising a conventional style of value-judging. It saves me a lot of verbal bashing.

By
Topher on Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 01:02 pm:

I was at lunch with a friend of mine who teaches piano the other day. And he had said that Stockhausen had been exiled from Paris because he made a really crass comment about 9-11-01, if anyone has any insight on that, please post or email-

By Dougie on Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 01:52 pm:

How do you exile someone from a city?

By Melo Mafali on Sunday, May 9, 2004 - 09:07 pm:

If anyone would like to know more about
    K.H.S. actual life, works etc., just send an
    e-mail to
    trashnote@yahoo.
    de.
    I've been living
    in Cologne , Stockhausen's city, for the last
    20 years, and as a pianist and composer, I've
    always respected and admired his music.
    Maybe I could help you to know a little more
    about him.....He actually said that the 11.09
    attack was a piece of art....that's why he's been
    banned by several media stations and hardly
    criticied so far....of course a very cynical and
    cruel statement, hardly understandeable, if not
    from a very special Nietschian-esthetical point
    of view.
    Melo Mafali
    Pianist and Composer
    Cologne; 10.05.04

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact