"Jelly Roll" Morton

sorabji.com: Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950: "Jelly Roll" Morton
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By V on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 09:50 pm:

I found him in a book by Conrad Hilton,the hotel man.Morton claims to have invented Jazz in 1902,yet no one had heard of him untill 1923,somthing is not correct...Myself I tend to think music is organic,it grows like a plant.,with plenty of mutations.

By V on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 10:03 pm:

...perhaps because of the lies told by Morton,S.Joplin is better known.He would have made big bucks from the movie "The Sting"...if he was still alive...but to what place did the money go? a foundation or something?

By droopy on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 08:57 pm:

i was just listening to jelly roll morton today at work. and joe "king" oliver and louis armstrong. all good stuff.

By Cat on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 06:46 am:

I thought of you, Droopy, when I heard some really serious cut-wrists blues in a strange place that had no business playing that kind of music.

By droopy on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 12:10 pm:

i thought of you, cat, when i heard a live dave hole track. screamin', fret-meltin', beat-you-down-with-my-blues-then-leave-with-your-woman slide guitar from australia.

By Cat on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 05:47 pm:

thinking of me usually is followed by screaming and other stuff that causes constipation.

By droopy on Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 12:50 am:

i thought it was moaning and a release of fluids. maybe i've been gone too long.

By V on Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 07:00 pm:

...as regards "Morton" its nice to see I am not the only person that knows of him.I often wonder if I am posting to a mental hosital."no insult intended".

By V on Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 07:08 pm:

...sounds like a phrase from alein? it is,mk.2 to be correct.Cant resist slotting them things in.

By droopy on Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 11:32 pm:

i rarely get worked up about musician's egos anymore, v. there's always someone who claims to have invented jazz, the blues, rock n' roll. morton worked like a dog for all those years until those first recordings in 1923. he really did contribute a lot to the development of jazz - he was the first real composer/arranger in jazz (that i'm aware of), and an influential piano player. then by the beginning of the 30's his music was considered old hat and benny goodman was getting famous playing his arrangement of morton's "king porter stomp". he faded away until alan lomax dug him up at an inn in washington d.c. and made his library of congress recordings, which were the first jelly roll recordings i ever heard. then he died 2 or 3 years later.

if i got pissed off at every jazz player's personality flaws and bad behavior, i'd never listen to jazz at all.

By V on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 06:55 pm:

droopy,That was indeed a fine posting,for a long time,I thought I was posting to zombies...but what is your best Jazz man of all time?

By V on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 06:58 pm:

...you must have one that stands out from the rest.

By Droopy on Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 12:44 am:

my personal favorite would probably be charles mingus. this has a lot to do with the fact that i'm a bass player. who's the best ever? i'd have to think about it.

By V on Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 06:39 pm:

...go for it,best ever...

By V on Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 06:51 pm:

...also,what makes Charles stand out from the rest?,in your opinion?...y,know he has shit loads of rivals.You have a similar style perhaps?

By V on Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 06:55 pm:

...just wish I could have seen Louis Armstrong live.

By V on Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 07:01 pm:

...I did get within 6 foot of Jimi Hendrix,but its not the same.

By droopy on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 06:05 pm:

i got within one foot of mike watt (my other all-time bass hero) once. he's an interesting guy.

i keep all my jazz recordings at work nowadays, and my boss has been listening to them. she tends to pick one and listen to it exclusively - so far she's been through art tatum, early john coltrane, and the getz/gilberto sessions...in that order. each time she says, "this is where i am, now."

charles mingus is where i am, now. mingus had balls - bass balls, if you will - and i need the excitement in my life. i tend to want to hear people like thelonius monk or eric dolphy or someone like that. and of course charlie parker.

By V on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 06:29 pm:

...how do you feel about Bass that makes your bones shake,you know,when you are right next to the speaker,and you go deaf for 3 hours?...you been in that situation?...I,m glad to say I have...lots of times.

By V on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 06:36 pm:

...you got within 1 foot of Mike Watt?????well that beats me an Jimi Hendrix, (but he did smile at me)

By droopy on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 06:39 pm:

i was at a minutemen (mike watt's band) concert once where i was right next to a stack of amps when they started playing. threatened to send me rolling across the room (i'm in a wheelchair). so they let let me park at the side of the stage over by the drummer.

the first rock concert i ever went to was a who concert. thunderfingers.

By V on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 07:10 pm:

droopy,how did you get into Jazz?,,,,myself,I just told a London cab driver I wanted a Jazz club,(had too much to drink)and he took me to RONNIE SCOTT,it was an instant hook.It was "New Orleans night"...before I knew it,my toe was a tappin...so now I know,Jazz is a real good mixer with booze...and you get to meet such charming people.,like yourself.

By V on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 07:43 pm:

...NOT EVER,have I got to hear "The Who" live,...you are sooooooo lucky,,,,,,,,,,,but,I did get to hear "Mark Bolen" from half a mile back,at "Hyde Park"London,Plus,,,,Elton John from 500 yards back at Watford football stadium,north London...also got to see "Janis Joplin" but her screaming voice tends to grate the nerve endings....allways wanted to see that Goth English girl that sang "its me,Cathey,ive come hoooooome".....and something about "Heathcliff"...,spect you know it,,,,I cant remember it.,but it was very good.

By V on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 07:59 pm:

...Look,must ask,did "The Who" play " "Wont be fooled again"?...its one of the best tunes of all time (in v,s opinion)................it goes,WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA,,,,,,,,,,now a parting on the left,,,,,,,,,,,,is now a parting on the right...............now I think if you listen to stuff like that,you get to live 10 years longer...............

By V on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 08:03 pm:

.........you tend to want to smack the "Grim Reaper" right in the mouth.

By droopy on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 08:42 pm:

how're you doin' there, v? by my calculations it's after midnight in london.

how'd i get into jazz? as far as i can tell, just by living in america. starting with the cartoons i watched as a kid: my screen name - droopy - comes from a cartoon dog that had a dixieland jazz band in his fur. at least in one cartoon. and old movies - i loved old bogart movies with dooley wilson or hoagy carmichael in them. i always wanted to be in the band.

then by the time i was twelve i was able to walk to a local record shop and buy jazz and blues albums. the first jazz album i ever bought was some disk of nothing but live charlie parker solos.

then eventually i was old enough to go to jazz clubs and drink and listen to jazz. in fact, i can drive my ass to new orleans, if i want to.

yes, the who did "won't get fooled again". i got an extensive education in that band because i knew a drummer who was obsessed with keith moon.

did i read somewhere that you're russian?

By droopy on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 03:51 am:

i would also like to mention -

Say, it's only a paper moon
    Sailing over a cardboard sea
    But it wouldn't be make believe,
    If you believed in me.

Yes, it's only a canvas sky,
    Hanging over a muslin tree,
    If you believed in me.

Without your love,
    It's a honky tonk parade,
    Without your love,
    It's a melody played at a penny arcade.

It's a Barnum and Bailey world,
    Just as phony as it can be,
    If you believed in me.

By V on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 06:33 pm:

Droopy,yes,I am a Russian that lives in London,to have an English passport is better than a bullit proof vest.also,how come you are so happy? most Americans are not...is it because you are in to "Charlie Parker"...and Jazz in general?,for me you are an enigma,and a nice one,how come I did not find you a long time ago?

By V on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 08:03 pm:

...also,what is this I hear of you going off line for ages? why was this the case?

By V on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 08:33 pm:

...also you made a sharp observation,v is an imsomniac,I can go 48 hours with out sleep,my track record is 72 hours,non stop,,,some of us cant find the "shut down" switch.

By V on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 09:33 pm:

Y,know,v still takes the advice of "Dodi",such a cool gal,no postings for a long time,just too many of them Sorabji insults for her taste,so she wont post no more,(well done Sorabjis)...now Dodi was much in to health,as most of you are not,but v still thinks to take 2 off out of 7 is good,so v will mow sleep for 2 days,in Transalvanian soil,as normal.

By droopy on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 12:28 am:

i'm not particularly happy, i'm just not sad. i've learned how to let things roll off my back. a little while ago a guy told me that if he had to go through some of the crap i had to deal with this past year, he'd run out into the middle of the street screaming. i honestly think i've just become bored with it all. immune. "mithridates, he died old."

and yes, jazz, blues, music in generaly helps.

i'm really not sure what the hell's going on between you and the rest of the sorabji folk.

i was gone for 3 years because my computer died and i was too poor and lazy to get another one.

i'm an insomniac, too.

By Cat on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 04:35 am:

I love to sleep and I'm at my best whilst unconscious. I have always been proud of the fact that I don't snore.

By V on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 08:03 am:

...Cat,thats something to be proud of,most of my ex-girlfriends grunt like pigs when they sleep.Its a bit of a let down,but somthing we cant do much about.

By V on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 08:49 am:

Droopy,for a fact,I have no idea of what my relation is to Sorabjis,I am v,...Droopy,do you like me try to work out what you are posting to?...are you posting to people or the matrix?...what do people want on-line? a pefect person? a "role" model?...is it you?,is it me?...

By patrick on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 12:29 pm:

how do you know you dont snore? you stay up to find out? someone could be lying to you.

By dRoopy on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 12:57 am:

i just post here for the hell of posting, v.

i had a roommate who accused me of snoring. i slept with the door closed and classical music on the radio. one night he got up for a midnight snack or piss (or both) and heard the low sound of the basses from my room. but i assure you i don't snore.

but i have been accused of having weird breathing patterns. like i will just stop breathing for a while and then take in air in a gasp. or i will start breathing i "staccato" bursts.

By Cat on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 03:52 am:

Patrick, there has been more than one "someone" who has told me this fascinating fact. I am the snoreless slut.

By V on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 05:02 pm:

...the only people that dont snore are Angels,its so nice to see one on-line.

By Daniel ssss on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 11:30 pm:

I don't snore, but my mama, a piano player who died at 42 some 39 years ago when I was but a lad of 15... did. And she sat on a mahogany bench in Libratore's Supper Club in Elmira NY (owned by my great uncle Curly Johnson, an unknown cornetist & little big band person) with Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong, and a host of other angels. Maybe but I dunt remember her ever talkin about Jelly Roll. None of whom snore, I'd bet. Cat is an angel, yes...as are alot of sorabjites. My mama snored, may have been angelic at times. Some of us stop posting b/c life happens. Me, I bought a place in the woods and lived off line for a while. Tonight I am seeking sanity, thinking how nice it is to have Droopy back and Cat and even Cz. I sorta like stopped sorabjite chatter just to build a lot of stuff out of concrete. Back to jazz, though: I be goin to Preservation Hall June 25 during a roll through the South. Any body's welcome to tag along.

By V on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 03:51 pm:

Jazz is allways better with a drink or 2,or more.

By V on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 04:05 pm:

Droopy,in England,"Al Bowlie" is considered to be a "gay icon",is it the same in your place? so are "The Inkspots"...circa 1940-1950.yes its not Jazz,...more like crooners,just need to know?

By droopy on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 04:48 pm:

i've never heard of al bowlie - who, after an exhaustive search, turned out to be "al bowlly" and english. the inkspots i'd heard of, but never much liked. neither are gay icons here, as far as i know. gay icons in america tend to be women like judy garland and cher. al bowlly and the inkspots seem like such unflamboyant choices.

maybe that's just the gay english way.

maybe jack would know.

By V on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 06:06 pm:

...YES INDEED,,,(ROLLS OF THUNDER,STAGE LEFT),...droopy,I got the info from a gay scipt writer I met at a press party for some (still un- known) female S.African artist in the Hilton hotel,Park Lane,London,...the drink was free,(S.African wine,as much as you can drink)...one year later,I saw a play on t.v. by the same scrip writer,and I expect you know what music was playing..."only yooo,could make my dreams come true..." (Inkspots).....also got an invite from Lord and Lady something to spend 3 months,no charge,at some huge mansion in South of France,turned it down due to pressure of work at the time...(I must have been nuts)

By V on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 06:18 pm:

...and I remember "Adrian" telling me..."Darling,you know gay men can also fall in love,its not just rampant sex,y,know"...but v still has doubts about this.

By V on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 06:22 pm:

...and his play was full of "rampant sex"...between men.

By droopy on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 06:33 pm:

i myself have seen gay men in the most abject states of love.

By V on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 06:37 pm:

If I were jack,I would ask you to expand more on that subject.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact