Numbers stations

sorabji.com: Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950: Numbers stations
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spider on Saturday, April 4, 2009 - 12:19 pm:

By Dr Pepper on Saturday, April 4, 2009 - 05:44 pm:

Spider, watch out for secret agents.

By jaq on Saturday, April 4, 2009 - 10:56 pm:

agents? agents?

By Spider on Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 09:41 pm:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UVB-76

This really freaks me out. Why is it there? What is for?

The soundclip is especially disturbing. I'm someone who really loves industrial noises in general, especially raspy grinding ones, but the tone in that clip disturbs me tremendously. I couldn't even listen to the whole thing. Gaaaah.

By ... on Monday, February 15, 2010 - 02:56 am:

By The Others on Monday, February 15, 2010 - 11:17 am:

duh, it keeps the world from ending.

By Danielssss on Monday, February 15, 2010 - 12:55 pm:

It is not known whether Russia continues to use the system, and it is possible that it is still in place.[6] Some commentators state the system never operated in fully automatic mode.[8][9]

An article in Wired magazine from September 2009 indicates that not only does Dead Hand still exist, but that it is also ready to react as intended. The article goes on to state that Dead Hand still receives system upgrades.[10]

From the "Dead Hand" entry. Probably a reality at some time, if not still today.

It's not the music thatbothers me, it is the intent of complete and utter world wide annihilation. Now that is bothersome.

By Danielssss on Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 12:32 pm:

THIS REALLY INTRIGUES ME. I have spent a few hours looking into this, something of which I was only vaguely aware. any thoughts?

Like so many my age, I am a veteran of the cold war, meaning I have an unhealthy disregard of any politics making psychological war against the children of another politic. I was profoundly affected by the cold war, which perhaps few of you recall. Born in 1951, I was raised on the need to build fallout shelters and the reality of devastation post blast that would forever change things everywhere, because someone had an itchy trigger finger. Seeing news clips when four or five years old forever changed the way I think about nuclear fission.

The intent of annihilation runs counter to the candy exchange.

By Karla on Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 02:19 pm:

My parents and older sibs moved to Tampa in 1960, the year I was born. The first two things they encountered were Hurricane Donna and the Cuban Missle Crisis. They were drilled at school in how to tip over their desks and crawl beneath them, in the event of either circumstance. Fighter jets from the AFB screamed overhead at regular intervals, cracking the concrete block walls in our house, not to mention their eardrums. Dad told the older sibs that, if the shit ever did hit the fan, to find the younger sibs and make their way to the neighborhood railroad tracks and he would find them there. Scary times for a kid.

By Fester on Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 01:16 am:

numbers stations are still very much out there.
    6,855 is a good frequency to check.

By Danielssss on Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 11:57 am:

I liked Godel for numbers. He was a fine mathematician. To echoe J, what if the hokey pokey IS what it's all about.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact