new york city

sorabji.com: Where are you?: new york city
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By amanda on Friday, May 4, 2001 - 08:47 pm:

well... not really.

but i will be tomorrow.

this is my last post in kansas. my plane leaves at 10 o'clock tomorrow morning, and i guess i will then be a resident of new york.

tomorrow i am a grown up... i think...

By TBone on Saturday, May 5, 2001 - 12:34 am:

Stay in touch.

Good luck.

By Anitgone on Saturday, May 5, 2001 - 01:57 am:

By jack on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 02:13 pm:

so in the deli today i was in line behind someone who was taking as long as possible to complete the transaction. i always think this is a weird thing to do.

i usually can't tell what the motivation is. in this case i think it was either

1) prolong the fun of the "shopping experience" -- leave the register twice to consider buying more things after they've already starting ringing up the sale, talking loudly about the merits of the things she's considering

2) feel really important by being The Cusomer Now Being Served as long as possible

naturally she paid via credit card to get the extra time at the counter afforded by the transmission. naturally she looked around a LOT while waiting for the sale to go through to see if anyone was looking at her.

when i'm buying something i generally want to get the hell out as quickly as possible.

By dave. on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 04:52 pm:

me too. i do everything i can to speed up the whole process.

By V on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 05:01 pm:

jack,to most men,a trip to the super market is a military operaration,get in,out,and go,(no cream cakes),a bit like the S.A.S. or the S.W.A.T squad.

By V on Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 05:42 pm:

...I tell you,if you recon your self as General,try finding the queue that moves the fastest,most times I get it wrong.Most times I get some Polish/Jewish Woman who cant find a credit card.No disrespect to any one,its just what I see..,"my God all ready,I svear to God I had thees credeet card thees morninck"

By patrick on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 05:29 pm:

whenever i go to the baja fresh, which is maybe once a week....i always get the salad/soup combo. what pisses me off and always promots me to fuck up the poor girl working the register is, she has a spiel once i tell her "soup/salad please, no tomato, vinegrette, to go". but she cant take that information in that order. she has to first ask me if i want chicken, which is extra. i have to say no. then she wants to know what kind of dressing i want. But i dont want to tell her until she understands i dont want any god damn pico on my salad, THEN i'll repeat what dressing i wanted and THEN she can ask me if its eat in, or to go.

what pisses me off is that we are so dumb as a society (and this isnt new) that they have to so heavily script these people that they dont actually listen to you, you just merely fill in the blanks they have on their computer screen.

By Antigone on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 06:04 pm:

It's more likely that she has to follow the script or she gets fired.

By spunky on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 06:22 pm:

When I worked for the AT&T billing office we had an exact script and certain things we had to say, or we would get in trouble.

"thank you for calling at&t"
    "are you using at&t for all of your calling needs?"
    "thank you, I understand you have a problem with your bill, I can help you with that, can I please have your phone number, starting with your area code"
    "I see you make calls (insert time, date, place), do you realize you can save $$$ if you had (insert appropriate savings plan) on your account?"
    "thank you for calling at&t, have a nice day"

The canned responses we got?
    "Would I be calling you if I didn't"
    "I already entered my phone number when I called"
    "I dont care about the savings, I want you take all one minute calls of of my bill"

I understand it can be frustrating, and frankly, yes, some of these low wage workers are not the brightest thing on earth, but then some (like Eri and I at AT&T) are just getting started in the professional world.

By spunky on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 06:27 pm:

Oh, and

"I never called that international number(after I told them it was a phone sex line, direct dialed from their house)"

or

"Yes, I know that number, it's my mom's, but I did not talk that long"

or

"yes, I know that number, it's my mom's, but I did not call her then"

or

"My 13 year old son would never make those kind of calls"

Or

"yes I have a fax machine, and I know those numbers, but I want all one minute calls to Pakistan taken off my bill"

By spunky on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 06:28 pm:

Then there was the little old lady

"phone sex, what's that?"

By Nate on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 06:38 pm:

fuck at&t. they fucked up my bill, when i called to dispute the bill the automated system requested that i pay my bill before i could talk to a human.

so i called the california public utilities commission and they 3-way'd me with a real person at at&t.

By Dougie on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 08:35 pm:

But why the fuck do they always have to ask your phone number again, even though you've already entered it in?

By spunky on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 09:41 pm:

We have to. ANI always shows your number, and shows the number you entered into the system, but we still have to ask. I noticed the other day when I called AMEX they do the same thing.

Remember, this was 11 years ago, when I first met eri.

By semillama on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 01:16 pm:

Spunky, can you quantify how much of your soul that job sucked out of your body?

By Nate on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 01:26 pm:

i think the johns hopkins study determined that the average soul sucking is between 30 and 45 isu.

By spunky on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 01:44 pm:

I cannot. Eri has restored whatever at&t sucked out

By Nate on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 01:51 pm:

with hercunt

By spunky on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 01:54 pm:

How do I get those tools?

By sarah on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 02:09 pm:

you guys are gay.

By Nate on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 02:21 pm:

haha sarah lol!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact