ice storm

sorabji.com: Where are you?: ice storm
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Nate on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 10:01 am:

i flew into dallas yesterday. it took me 15+ hours to get from my front door to the hotel.

there is ice everywhere. apparently there was an ice storm on monday.

i read about this on monday. an ice storm, to pass through monday afternoon. then it should have been gone.

but when my plane landed last night, there was still ice everywhere. it looks like snow, but it isn't! it's like the inside of my freezer!

now, some of you are probably thinking, big fucking deal.

but me! i can count the times i've seen snow on my fingers! i've driven in snow once! never on ice!

man, it's fun. especially in a rental car.

in fact, since it doesn't appear that anyone is coming to the office, i might just go out and practice bootleggers in the parking lot of the albertsons.

By Spider on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 10:13 am:

Don't you mean "whipping shitties"? :)

By Nate on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 10:29 am:

ooo! there's a bunch of coors light in the fridge. i think i'm going to pound a few of those before i go.

do they whip shitties in dallas? it's more a flippin bitches where i come from.

By sarah on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 12:25 pm:

school was canceled yesterday.

in fact, the entire city of Austin and surrounding areas, both public and private sectors, were closed. late last night they even closed down a big portion of I-35, the ice made it impassable, leaving people stranded in their cars overnight along the highway.

i started my car at 9:30 a.m., went inside to take a shower and eat breafast. by 10:30 a.m. i was driving to target. closed. i drove to the HEB (open) where i bought groceries. i drove to Blockbuster where every texan and their distant relative stood in line to red My Big Fat Greek Wedding. i went to the gym. i came home, grabbed the bottle of brandy, and drove to _____'s house, where i ended up staying the night.

i was the first person to work this morning, arriving at 9 a.m. school didn't start til 10:45 a.m. buncha weenies, can't handle the snow. not that i enjoy it. in fact, i fucking HATE this weather and would rather live in a place where nobody talks about the weather because the weather is boring and unremarkable. but at least i can get around in it without crashing my car into something.

it was 80 degrees on sunday, less than 24 hours before everything turned to ice. i had rode my bike to sunshine gardens where i put my name on the mailing list to rent a gardening plot for the year. you pay a fee, you get a 50x50 food plot and use of all their tools and organic compost. they also have plant sales, though i won't sell my produe, i'll eat it. anyway, they called this morning and said they had a plot available. so when this shitty ass weather turns to spring, at least i'll have a garden again.

nate, you wanna drive down to austin this weekend?

By eri on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 12:36 pm:

I was saying the same about San Antonio yesterday. Schools were shut down, all 3 freeways were closed, people running around dressed like they were on the polar caps. Icecicles hanging off of the carports. THere is still a little out there now, but not really hanging on anything. Most of the ice has melted and the roads are clear.

By Nate on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 12:36 pm:

i have to be in sacto on saturday, otherwise maybe. i'll be doing some weekend stays soon enough. i'll let you know.

By trace on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 02:20 pm:

NATE!!!!!

By trace on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 02:23 pm:

HEB here in SATX looked like it had been plundered yesterday evening.
    I am not sure if that is because the supply trucks could not get through or they had a rush because all of these "never-seen-ice-or-snow-before" people thought they would be shut in for ages, or a combination of the two.

HEB is always a mad house.

Sarah, you know what HEB stands for?

By trace on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 03:06 pm:

By sarah on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 03:07 pm:

a) her enormous bust

b) herbert e. butts

c) hit every bong

d) helping everyone binge

why do you ask?

By trace on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 03:08 pm:

By eri on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 03:30 pm:

I need a piece of option A and C!!!!

By Nate on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 03:48 pm:

you hit the bong eri?

By trace on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 04:01 pm:

i just think it's funny that it used to be called Butts Grocery....

By eri on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 05:55 pm:

Not in a long time Nate!

By The Watcher on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 01:23 pm:

So much for global warming.

By semillama on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 02:24 pm:

unless you condier that one hypothesized efffect of global warming are fiercer winters.

By sarah on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 03:46 pm:

yeah, well it's 60 degrees again today and sunny.

fucking texas.

i ate four chocolate chip cookies today and i'm still grumpy about the weather.

By wisper on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 07:56 pm:

those pics are pretty. Pretty ice.
    But more importantly. . .cactuses! cacti!!!! in the ground! growing! not $2 in a little tiny pot at the grocery store!!
    i have never seen that. How big are they? Do they smell like anything? can you really cut them open and drink water from them?

also, i've never touched a palm tree.

By semillama on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 09:16 am:

You want some ice? here's some ice.

That's a waterfall in warmer weather.

By patrick on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 12:05 pm:

wisper So Cal is the land of succulents.

there are tons of varieties of cacti. I've been to the Wrigley Memorial Garden on Santa catalina island and its a (if i had to guess) 110+ acre sliver of land with so many different kinds of succulents you'd poop your shorts. plants that look like penis, vagina, asses and everything

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact