stuck behind a desk with no pants..

sorabji.com: Where are you?: stuck behind a desk with no pants..
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Kalliope on Tuesday, September 9, 2003 - 04:20 pm:

Eh. I wish I wasn't wearing pants. It might make this day go faster.

Has anyone had to deal with the problem of changing themselves in a work environment in order to stay happy at work? I almost feel like I have to put this mask on from day to day...and it's not me..and I love my job...but the environment here...it's a killer...

By patrick on Tuesday, September 9, 2003 - 04:23 pm:

have you tried smoking pot on your lunch breaks?

By Kalli on Tuesday, September 9, 2003 - 04:30 pm:

fuck. no. but i've been trying to find it so i can smoke it after work, (i've found a new appreciation for being stoned and listening to yo la tengo albums) and apparently all my friends are suddenly too old to find it anymore.

*that's* messed up.

i feel like i've gone from 16 to 82 in a year.

By patrick on Tuesday, September 9, 2003 - 04:33 pm:

i actually thought about buying some weed today too

By Platypus on Tuesday, September 9, 2003 - 04:37 pm:

Me too, wierd.

I am wearing pajama pants but I need to go the library. I will have to go to the library at some point but I think I will wear my pajama pants there too. It is raining.

Work is awful, kalli.

By Spider on Tuesday, September 9, 2003 - 04:42 pm:

I wish we didn't have to work in offices, and everyone would be able to work from home with free T-3 lines installed everywhere by the government in a nationwide attempt to boost productivity and employee morale.

I wish I could make a living by crocheting and painting and making signs.

Seriously, can you make a living being a sign-maker? I love doing that. I make wooden plaques with a word or phrase painted on them and hang them around my apartment.

By Spider on Tuesday, September 9, 2003 - 04:52 pm:

(Well, lest you think I'm some kind of freak, I've only got three of them.)

I always wanted to paint a psalm around the border of a room, like some people airbrush stencils. I love words.

By TBone on Tuesday, September 9, 2003 - 05:08 pm:

I'd pay you to make me a wooden one-word sign.
    Hmm. What would the word be?
    "undress"
    "wtf"
    "sign"
    What do yours say, Spider?
    "office" (with a circle and line through it.)

By TBone on Tuesday, September 9, 2003 - 05:09 pm:

I had a friend whose dad was a sign-maker. I don't think he did many paint-on-wood signs though.
    Odd family though.

By J on Tuesday, September 9, 2003 - 05:28 pm:

Do it Platy it's liberating:)You too can feel what it's like to be like the big Leblonski.

By Spider on Tuesday, September 9, 2003 - 05:32 pm:

One says "da lifnei mi ata omaid," which is Hebrew for "know the one before whom you stand." There's a story behind it but I don't feel like telling it now. :) It's purple with gold letters.

One says "LOVe YOU DeAD" in red and has a picture of a rat's head on it. That was my homage to the Young Ones and a visual threat to the rats I see in the parking lot.

One has a verse from Dante's "Paradiso" and is simply black on white.

I used to have one that had "QUOTIDIE MORIOR" ("I die daily") on it with a picture of the Sacred Heart, but I gave that away.

I've made others, but they're gone, too.

I just love letters and words and phrases. I was so psyched to see Sr. Corita Kent's (my grandmother's cousin, and the designer of the "LOVE" postage stamp) art, to see that she used words with her images and loved lettering, too. Clearly, it's genetic.

By Spider on Tuesday, September 9, 2003 - 05:33 pm:

TBone, I will gladly make you a sign, for free. Just tell me what you want and send me your address.

By TBone on Tuesday, September 9, 2003 - 05:43 pm:

You rock my socks off.
    I will meditate on this matter and get back to you on the word.

By patrick on Tuesday, September 9, 2003 - 06:04 pm:

spider you could become one of those arts and craft fair types who make kooky house hold shit like wacky potpourri scented tissue box covers and salt and pepper shakers made to look like fruit and vegetables and sell your wares travelling from town to town, fair to fair.

By kazu on Tuesday, September 9, 2003 - 06:18 pm:

I can work wherever I want to work, most of the time anyway.

I have some pot in my apartment that I keep forgetting about (yes, I am that busy). Part of the problem is that I have to replace the bong I broke last year and I keep forgetting to do that too.

I like words.

Spider, I might commission you to make me a sign when I start my dissertation.

By Platypus on Tuesday, September 9, 2003 - 10:37 pm:

Spider, I do that too! I actually did stencil a verse from the inferno on the wall of my flat and it looks great. And I have lots of little signs/art on the walls with words on them.

In my old house, there was a weird dividing wall with a gap on the top, so I made a set of flat boards with paper mache and words on them. My original plan was to have it like random poetry, where you could flip the boards and mix them up and have each side say something different and neat. I ended up using two headlines, so one side said "polar bears feel the heat in hudson bay," and the other says "global arms trade's one rule: ability to pay." Now that I don't have a nifty place to hang them so that you can see both sides, global arms trade hangs above my bed. Sometimes I flip it.

Words and word art are awesome, and you can totally make a living being a sign maker. My tiny town actually supports two very talented sign makers and there are a lot of beautiful hand lettered wooden signs around.

I should I suppose also admit that I have a very large collection of cool road signs, like "bridge freezes before road" and "Hogwarts Way." (No shit, there is a road here called that.) And "Nameless Lane" and a Do Not Enter sign that someone neatly pasted "Iraq" under. And a "STOP (eating animals)" sign. And many more...road signs are neat, especially when they are unintentionally funny.

By J on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 04:43 am:

Wear your P.J's out Platy,for the love of God or Lablonski!

By Spider on Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 10:23 am:

I still owe some people shrines, don't I?

*sigh*

I'm hopeless.

Signs are much easier to make than shrines, though. Send me your commission when you've got it, Kazoo.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact