Greetings from unremarkable Lanham, Maryland (is this the first post in over 5 years?)

sorabji.com: Where are you?: Greetings from unremarkable Lanham, Maryland (is this the first post in over 5 years?)
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spam on Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 07:58 am:

Holy crap, this place has been dormant.

Full list of my cities of residence (in chronological order):

Washington, DC & Wheaton, MD - 3.5 years
    Boulder, CO - 20.5 years
    Denver, CO - 0.5 years
    Boulder, CO - 4.0 years
    Vienna, VA - 0.25 years
    Washington, DC - 1.0 years
    Vienna, VA - 0.25 years
    Washington, DC - 1.0 years
    Silver Spring, MD - 1.5 years
    Lanham, MD (current) - 2.5 years

By Spam on Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 08:05 am:

Okay, so amidst the blur of a cold Sunday morning, I realize that there have been posts as recently as a couple of months ago.

What makes a better ice-breaker than a false alarm?

By semillama on Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 11:19 am:

what are you talikng about? people post here about once every half hour on average.

By Spider on Monday, December 1, 2003 - 09:57 am:

I got lost in Baltimore on the way home for Thanksgiving. I wanted to avoid the traffic on I-95, so I took Rt. 1 north from DC. All was going well until I hit the Baltimore city limits, at which point the road forked and I was given the option of going right on Rt. 1 or going left on Alt. Rt. 1. I chose to go right.

If you are ever going north on Rt. 1 from DC and hit Baltimore, choose to go left.

Rt. 1 abruptly disappeared after an unmarked roundabout. I ended up driving around lost in the ghetto of West Baltimore. I didn't know I was in West Baltimore at the time; I didn't know where I was. I don't know Baltimore, I don't know any landmarks to look for as guides...all I know was that I was seeing street names I recognized from "Homicide," and the streets were lined with hungry-looking people. My only consolation was that I was there at 2:00 in the afternoon and not at night. I picked a road that travelled north/south, headed north, and told myself it didn't matter where I ended up as long as I got out of the city. Then, a miracle: a sign for 695 East rose up out of the landscape, and I felt like a sailor seeing a gull after months at sea. Relief at last.

My detour cost me 2 hours. Don't get lost in Baltimore.

By TBone on Monday, December 1, 2003 - 10:55 am:

When Apparissus and I try to travel to or from Las Vegas, aliens use their mysterious technology to re-route us to strange places. At least that was our theory originally. It's probably a glitch in the Matrix.
    Anyway, twice we have changed highways without remembering having taken an exit (and an exit would have been required in both these cases).
    Once we were going though Salt Lake City in the dead of the night when they were rebuilding all their overpasses simultaniously in preparation for the Olympics. They did the big messy work at night and directed all Interstate traffic though town. Well, they directed it into town, anyway. We followed detour signs well into town, and then they petered out. We were somewhere in the bowels of Salt Lake City, and we didn't know how to get out. As we wandered, we saw more and more semi trucks doing the same. We happened to have a CB with us, but by the time we thought of using it to ask for directions, most channels were choked with irate truck drivers invoking all manner of curses on the City of Salt Lake.
    It was like a Roach Motel. We checked in, but we couldn't check out.
    Though we did, eventually, find our way out.

By Spider on Monday, December 1, 2003 - 12:35 pm:

Cities in Utah (and towns, since there's only one real city) are a bitch to navigate through if you don't have a map since the streets are all named in relation to the Mormon temple or church. So "600 East" doesn't mean true east, it means six blocks east of the temple. Or is it west, with the temple being to the east? Whatever it is, it's a difficult system.

By The Watcher on Monday, December 1, 2003 - 12:56 pm:

Spider,

Next time you need to travel through Baltimore pick up one of the ADC map books. Or, let me know ahead of time and I could E-Mail you my phone number.

I don't go down town much so I almost always get lost. But, I make sure that a copy of that book is always in the car.

By The Watcher on Monday, December 1, 2003 - 12:58 pm:

US route 1 heading north from Baltimore is Belair Road.

By The Watcher on Monday, December 1, 2003 - 01:01 pm:

I got lost coming home one year from Ocean City. On route 50 I missed an exit. Two actually. And, ended up going down I95 to Washington.

I didn't get turned around until I hit a rest stop. I think it was in Bladensburg.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact