"The Old Man and the Sea" by Hemingway, PART II

sorabji.com: Worst book you've ever read: "The Old Man and the Sea" by Hemingway, PART II
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).
By Pete on Thursday, June 4, 1998 - 01:27 pm:
    uh, hello?

By Nate on Thursday, June 4, 1998 - 02:54 pm:
    I don't know Pete. The ambiance is different over here.

kinda feels icky. like when you think about your own creation.

By Be on Thursday, June 4, 1998 - 07:46 pm:
    exactly 6 months ago I started the "old man and the sea" thread, only to bitch about a book I was fourced to read in 7th grade, only because the "worst book you've ever read" board looked so damn lonely with only 1 entry.
    What a monsterI created
    (somebody back me up here...is this indeed the LONGEST thread in Sorabji? Excluding possibly "lost loves"?).
    If anything, I've learned that freedom of speach usually means being bitched out and threatened by people that can't even see you. And some people feel frightenengly strong about words they didn't even write.
    Happy Birthday, little topic thread.
    Love,
    BE

(the book still sucks!)

By Pete on Thursday, June 4, 1998 - 09:40 pm:
    Nate,

ehhhh.....give it time. It needs space & love; it needs to be nurtured in order to grow into the majestic massive thread of Worst Book #1.

uhmmm, on second thought, actually you may be right....this idea does suck. i mean this really smells. go back to the other thread. even if it does take 4ever to load.

sorry

By Nate on Thursday, June 4, 1998 - 09:50 pm:
    No Pete! The idea doesn't suck.

This place just is getting better. It was just the odd echos before you laid the carpets and put up the drapes.

I think it might work.

Be: "I've learned that freedom of speach usually
    means being bitched out and threatened by people that can't
    even see you."

This seems very profound to me.

By Sumerset on Friday, June 12, 1998 - 04:34 am:
    I have read the book, and have gone through the process of my 2 comparative and 1 analitical essays required for our last trimester in English for Jr. H.S. I do not particularly care for the book myself yet I found the book interesting in the symbolism and the way it is presented academically to me. I still do not totally comprehend it in it's entirety and wonder if someone else may guide me in my re reading of the book so I minght get a better comprehension of it.

By the way I got an A on the paper but most of it was regurigated from the classroom lectures that explained things the way the instructor wanted them to be anyway. I am particularly intrested in the Bibical or religious viewpoints connected within the 'Old Man of the Sea'. Please note school is out and I had come by this thread to try and utilize available resources for additional information.

.........by the way sometimes the lazyness in todays teenagers is taught to them, most are not able to see this. No I'm not trying to be a smart 'a_ _' in saying that either, yes it is a bit more reguritation from my brain relaied to me by my Aunt, but I agree with this point of view myself. Realistically our schools are not what they were or are intended to be, as an educational facilities. There are more politics within most school districts and school administrators offices, than there are curriculium guidelines, because they have become the babysitters for those lazy teenagers becauseof the problems that arise from them. Maybe those of you are old enough to vote need to work on changing that aspect and take a positive action to change the problems you complain about. I for one would appreciate it as I still have High School to go though.

By FodRod on Thursday, August 20, 1998 - 12:01 pm:

Geez! I think this book really stinks! I am SO bored even tho I'm not very far into it. I can't even focus on the book at all without falling asleep....

By Vic on Thursday, April 1, 1999 - 11:37 pm:

"I've learned that freedom of speach usually
    means being bitched out and threatened by people that can't
    even see you."

That is fucking EXCELLENT! Take off, eh?

By Margret on Tuesday, April 27, 1999 - 12:44 am:

I hated this book.
    I hated this book.
    I hated this book.

I read a lot of books that year that I connected with.

The hollowness of the drive to mastery over nature and fame among little men were not themes which touched me.

Dude.

By Babel16 on Monday, July 5, 1999 - 04:31 pm:

i saw nothing interesting in the damn book. it was a boring story about some damn spicorican fisherman.

i think almost all school assigned books are shit. i give them all a chance but most of them suck. they have no originality or interesting characters.

the greatest marvel of "classic" lit would have to be julius caesar by shakespeare. there were sooooooo many anachronisms and fuckups in the strory its ridiculus. if someone turned it in to a publishing agency today it would be rejected! but lets all marvel at the importance of one's name, bcuz thats the only reason a lot of "classics" are classic. bcuz the author had one good book to his/her name.

By Droopy on Monday, July 5, 1999 - 05:58 pm:

"Ye gods, it doth amaze me
    A man of such feeble temper should
    So get the start of the majestic world
    And beart the palm alone."

Shakespeare

_Julius Caesar_

By Babel16 on Monday, July 5, 1999 - 07:10 pm:

thanx droopy

By Droop on Monday, July 5, 1999 - 11:39 pm:

Actually, I was being ironic. Brutus says that to Cassius in act 1, while they're still plotting to kill Caesar. By the end of the play he is in a tent in the fields of Philippi, defeated by the Triumvirate. He kills himself by throwing himself on his sword, realizing that Caesar was one of the only men he had ever loved and honored, and that by killing him he had brought the downfall of the Roman Republic that he had tried to protect.

I don't care if that's how it actually happened, I still love Shakespeare. If all you can find in that play is historical inaccuracies, you're just no fun.

And he wrote other plays, too.

By Gee on Tuesday, July 6, 1999 - 01:49 am:

Holy crap, thanks a lot! I haven't read that one yet! Guess I don't have to Now....[grumble]

By Babel16 on Tuesday, July 6, 1999 - 03:15 pm:

Gee- your not missing anything

droop- it was badly written. do you remember the part where Brutus finds out Portia is dead? shakespeare wrote it twice. once brutus told cassius that he had recieved a letter tellin him of her death. and then not even 60 lines later, someone bursts in on brutus and cassius to tell brutus of portias death and he acts like its news. shakespeare fucked up he forgot that he had revealed part of the plot so he did it again.

personally i dont think its a bad story, its just badly written. my point was that no one looked at how bad it was bcuz shakespeare wrote it.

By Blurt on Wednesday, March 9, 2005 - 12:04 pm:

Quick to judge
    Slow to learn
    Accused of ignorance
    He spoke first
    then thought
    and removed all doubt

By Smarterthanyou on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 06:16 pm:

Qld man of the sea (Bleah) to shakespere. Quite the jump.

By Smarterthanyou on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 06:18 pm:

I am currently taking a test and it calls for some bs to explain the importance of the passage about the bird that lands on the raft. Any help?

By jack on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 11:11 pm:

smarter than who?

By dave. on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 11:53 pm:

me

By jack on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 12:23 am:

now is the time i express doubt.

By Czarina on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 10:50 pm:

No one is smarter than Dave.

And thats a fact.

Now,go and tell your teacher that.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact