Lost Souls by Poppy Z. Brite

sorabji.com: Worst book you've ever read: Lost Souls by Poppy Z. Brite
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Babel16 on Saturday, July 3, 1999 - 11:30 pm:

this book had a shitty plot (incestuous vampires) and a very shitty ending. Poppy's other books are much better. I would recommend "Drawing Blood" to anyone who likes an interesting ghost story.

By Cassie on Thursday, November 29, 2001 - 05:17 pm:

wrong.wrong.wrong.wrong.wrong.wrong.

Lost Souls is an allegory of the materialistic nature of modern society - it is not just a dumb vampire story.

You wanna read it again Babel and use some imagination this time. It ranks with 1984 by george orwell as one of the great dystopian novels of the last 100 years.

By Dispeptic Dystopian on Thursday, November 29, 2001 - 07:20 pm:

Perhaps Babs has had time to change her mind in this regard. 2 years and 5 months or so. Regardless, how can you possibly post that this novel compares with Orwell's 1984? Are you some sort of literary troll? I've read about people that go online and tell folks that they are 14 and reeeeeeally hot, so as to ensare child molesters. Are you putting out such outrageous comparisons so as to draw in the well read, only to render them assunder with your keyboard? I shudder at your nefarious reasons for posting such tripe, and I will not be lead astray by your incoherent babbling. Dystopian novels. Hmmmph.

By Erin kemal on Wednesday, March 3, 2004 - 09:36 am:

I found the book to be profoundly disturbing but at the same time extremely intriging. The plot was very well thought out, yes with vampires you assume its going to be far fetched but I thought mixed with the use of drugs and sex it brought it out of the gothic and in some surreal manner into contemporary time. Brilliant.

By Nothing on Monday, March 8, 2004 - 10:51 pm:

i loved Lost SOULS IT WAS AND IS MY FAVRITE BOOK

i thought it was good because of the charecters setting plot and mood of the story

By Ashes on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 12:40 am:

Lost Souls was Ace! I absolutely loved it.

You have got to be crazy not to love the vampiricness (is that a word) of it. It defines what a vampire really is. I'm a huge vampire fan and this book certainly satisfied my hunger for a good book.

I highly recomend this book to anyone who is not afraid of a bit of gruesome images (in your head that is), drug use, and sexual comtent in a book.

You will instantly fall in love with such characters as Ghost, a singer in a band who has a supernatural gift, Nothing, a teenager who is finding out about himself and what he will become, and Zillah, a seductive Vampire who sees what he wants and gets it.

By jack on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 12:48 am:

i'm just not sure i can treat seriously literary recommendations from someone who has an email address that misspells "preparation h" even if the misspelling is intentional. what, exactly, are you trying to get across with that?

but thanks for sharing.

By ZephyrNevermore on Friday, April 21, 2006 - 07:56 pm:

I've re-read Lost souls so many times just for the amazing literary experiance. The book plays itself out like a long sensuous poem, with great character designs and luscious scenery descriptions. It takes the reader to an underworld so dark, so taboo that its a definate to insult some people, but also to draw others under Poppy Z. Brite's spell. I can almost smell the clove smoke and feel the lush warm New Orlean's air on my face when I read it.

By lapis nee pez on Saturday, April 22, 2006 - 04:04 pm:

zephyr?

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact