Top 3

sorabji.com: Best book you've ever read: Top 3
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).
By Darley on Saturday, May 30, 1998 - 05:12 pm:
    Somewhat arbitrary, but on my list the top spots would have to go to:

INDEPENDENT PEOPLE by Haldor Laxness
    LOLITA by Vladimir Nabokov
    THE MAN WITHOUT QUALITIES by Robert Musil

I might choose Nabokov's ADA over LOLITA, but it would depend on my mood.

Email me for discussion of any of these! Darley33@hotmail.com

By Blindswine on Wednesday, June 3, 1998 - 03:04 pm:
    in no particular order--

A Canticle For Leibowitz - Walter Miller, Jr.
    Cane - Jean Toomer
    Beloved - Toni Morrison
    Ender's War - Orson Scott Card
    Zen in the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - Pirsig
    The Watchmen (illustrated) - Alan Moore
    Mumbo Jumbo - Ishmael Reed
    Race Matters - Dr. Cornel West
    The Great Shark Hunt - Hunter S. Thompson

i haven't read anything since december. i need a good book to read. any suggestions?

By Blindswine on Wednesday, June 3, 1998 - 03:08 pm:
    hmm...
    i'm sensing the word "favorite" in the title of this thread so i gotta add
    One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
    and
    Catcher in the Rye.

and about twenty other books i can't remember off hand...

i'll be back.

By Blindswine on Wednesday, June 3, 1998 - 03:14 pm:
    oh yeah...
    pretty much anything by Vonnegut.
    especially the one where he's imprisoned in a library in upstate new york... can't remember the title...

Hocus Pocus?

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Wednesday, June 3, 1998 - 03:56 pm:
    Blindswine!!!!

OMIGOSH!!!!!!! Hocus Pocus is an AWESOME book!!! It's on my fave all time list. As are all of Vonnegut's... YAY!!!

Also,

To Kill A Mockingbird- Harper Lee
    Great Expectations - Dickens
    Going Postal- Stephen Jaramillo
    The Firm - Grisham

Sadly I do not read as much as I should. I was a BIG reader when I used to frequent public transportation more than I do now.

By Nelly on Wednesday, June 3, 1998 - 11:35 pm:
    Catcher's a great book, but the one i have come back to several times is Franny and Zooey...

By Blindswine on Tuesday, June 9, 1998 - 08:04 pm:
    revolutionary suicide - huey newton
    cosmic trigger - robert anton wilson

By Sheila on Tuesday, June 9, 1998 - 08:37 pm:
    A Confederacy of Dunces, John Kennedy Toole
    Biography of Virginia Woolf by Quentin Bell
    A Tour of the Calculus, David Berlinski

By Martin on Friday, June 26, 1998 - 10:58 am:
    "A Canticle For Leibowitz - Walter Miller, Jr."

yo swine, what is this?

By Blindswine on Friday, June 26, 1998 - 01:30 pm:
    a great book. i'm not even gonna get into the plot. take yourself to a bookstore, buy the book, take yourself home and lock yourself in the house until you've read every last page.

By Martin on Friday, June 26, 1998 - 01:45 pm:
    ok--no description....I moved it up a couple of places on my "to buy" list.
    Just one more Q: when was it written?
    I asked becuase it was the first one on your list and I pretty much knew (and liked) the rest of 'em.

and thanks for the piglinks.....flavorful...juicy...mostly...

By Sheila on Friday, June 26, 1998 - 05:37 pm:
    Seeing the title of "A Canticle for Leibowitz" is for me like hearing a piece of music that takes me to where and when i first heard it--the precise time, the place, the surroundings, the smell of the room where i read it, the temperature of the day in Berkeley. Blindswine, you could not yet have been born. Threads, hmmmmmmm.

By Blindswine on Friday, June 26, 1998 - 08:02 pm:
    i think i'm getting into a henry miller thing...
    i read "tropic of capricorn" last year...
    i'm re-reading that along with "tropic of cancer" now...

Anais Nin refers to miller as the "essential cosmodemonic writer"...
    i'm not quite sure i know exactly what that means... but i've got a pretty good idea...
    and i'm liking it.

i'm gonna pick-up

Sexus
    Nexus
    and
    Plexus

on the way home.

i figure it will either keep me out of the bars this weekend or hurtle me towards them...

probably the latter.

By Martin on Friday, June 26, 1998 - 08:23 pm:
    I loved those three, and yeah, you'll be in the bars.

The Air-Conditioned Nightmare
    is worth your time as well.

Dig!

By Poem on Wednesday, August 5, 1998 - 06:07 am:
    Maybe, for now, I can think of:

Like Water For Chocolate -Laura Esquivel
    Love and the Other Demons - Marquez
    Alice in Wonderland - Lewis Carrol

Well, I admit that this is a tentative list.

By Blindswine on Wednesday, August 5, 1998 - 12:51 pm:
    over the past two weeks i've spent about $60 on irvine welsh books...
    "the acid house", "ecstasy", "marabou stark nightmares", and "trainspotting". excellent stories about drugged-up, drunken scots written in the local vernacular. welsh has a wild imagination paired up with a wealth of personal experience... lots of vivid tales dealing with pathos, violence, debauchery, and nihilism.

read "The Granton Star Cause" in his collection, The Acid House.

that story pretty much sums it all up.

By Kelsey on Wednesday, August 5, 1998 - 02:06 pm:
    just finished meridian by alice walker. that is some downer shit.

my favorite three books? that's really hard. i would have to say
    "sassafrass cypress and indigo" by ntozake shange
    "the little prince" by antoine de saint exupery (sp?)
    "bailey's cafe" by gloria naylor.

maybe. i'm really not sure, though. there's so many good books in the world.

By Geelen on Thursday, August 20, 1998 - 10:28 am:

"The River Why" by David James Duncan
    Way over the top of the list.
    "Setting Free the Bears" by John Irving
    On the road in pre-Nazi Austria.
    "The Third Policeman" by Flann O'Brien
    Why you should always keep an eye on your Bike.

By Jonathan on Tuesday, April 13, 1999 - 10:06 am:

On The Road by Jack Kerouac
    The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway
    Idoru by William Gibson

By Semillama on Tuesday, April 13, 1999 - 11:41 am:

Confederacy of Dunces -Jonathan Kennedy O'Toole
    Startide Rising -David Brin
    Cosmic Trigger Trilogy - Robert Anton Wilson

Oh, hell I can't stop at three:
    The rest of the Uplift series by Brin, also Earth by Brin.

Hocus Pocus -Vonnegut
    Geek Love - Katherine Dunn
    Ulysses - James Joyce
    The Mists of Avalon -Marion Zimmer Bradley
    Ubik - Phillip K. Dick

too many to even remember...

By Semillama on Tuesday, April 13, 1999 - 11:43 am:

Shit I just now looked at the other posts here. Now I know I have kindred spirits at sorabji.com.

By Margret on Tuesday, April 13, 1999 - 12:31 pm:

Geek love is great. If yah really dig Vonnegut, then you can't eat just one (but I too have a favorite....it's Slapstick....hiho). I have never been able to slog through Ulysses, I have never been able to get past the first 1/4th of the Sound and the Fury. I'm a literary lightweight.

By Spider on Tuesday, April 13, 1999 - 01:01 pm:

The 2nd chapter's the best, if that gets you motivated.

My favorites, if I may contribute:

Paul Auster's New York Trilogy (esp. "Ghosts")
    The Knife-Thrower by Stephen Millhauser
    Winnie-the-Pooh by A.A. Milne

The Wisdom of the Heart by Henry Miller
    The Carrier of Ladders by W.S. Merwin (poetry)
    No Ceiling but Heaven by Mykal Banta

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce
    A Light in August by William Faulkner
    The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien

The Robber Bride by Margaret Atwood
    Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl
    Anything by Primo Levi (esp. The Periodic Table)

(I read too much)

By Spider on Tuesday, April 13, 1999 - 01:04 pm:

...and my brother loved "A Canticle for Leibowitz" so much that he designed his band's first record album to look like the cover (you know, the hooded monk). I should tell him he's not alone in his sentiment.

By Cyst on Tuesday, April 13, 1999 - 07:37 pm:

geek love is a good read. dunn sold the novel rights to harry anderson, the guy from night court, like a week before gus van sant called her up and asked her if she wanted to make a movie.

I wonder if anderson will sit on it forever or what. maybe he's waiting for her next book, cut man (about boxers, prostitutes and murderers) to come out. last time I talked to her, long ago (this long ago -- it was at a nirvana show), she said she was still working on it and that these things take a long time.

she's a great conversationalist. if I work on my web page when I get back to the states, the first thing that's going up will be the transcript of a long talk I once had with her about cloning, cults, stephen king (she once gave a lecture in the portland library about how it is ok to like him), our junior high school and the kennedy assassination.

she's also a total babe.

By Cyst on Tuesday, April 13, 1999 - 07:39 pm:

"novel rights." duh, MOVIE rights.

started proulx's "the shipping news" last night. have already laughed out loud several times.

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Wednesday, April 14, 1999 - 08:35 am:

Semillama, I am MOST impressed! Hocus Pocus is one of my fave's too. I keep hoping for a movie version, but I suspect, the portrayal of the Japanese would cause widespread protest. You gotta love sarcasm. The only person I can see in the lead of this movie would be Christopher Walken. What do you think?

I have read almost all of Vonnegut's books, with the exception of Galapagos. I have started it half a dozen times but for the life of me cannot get into it. Has anyone else been sucessful?

As for two other books, I'd have to say, Harper Lee's "To Kill a Mockingbird," and Julia Sweeney's "God Said Ha!"

Books I completely could not stand, were Stephen Crane's "The Red Bagde of Courage," and Hemingway's "The Old Man and the Sea."

Oh, one more for my faves... "If I Ran the Zoo," by Dr. Seuss.

By Semillama on Wednesday, April 14, 1999 - 11:03 am:

Walken for sure.

By Cyst on Wednesday, April 14, 1999 - 11:59 am:

was force-fed "red badge of courage" in junior high.

have never forgotten the communion-evoking simile "the sun hung like a wafer in the sky." thought it was the most contrived literary device I'd ever read.

By Nate on Wednesday, April 14, 1999 - 12:21 pm:

"that's why god gave you two"

By Catfshfrnd on Monday, June 21, 1999 - 03:45 pm:

the philosophy of andy warhol
    big sur by kerouac
    damien by herman hesse
    bluebeard by vonnegut
    catch 22
    another roadside attraction by tom robbins
    in watermelon sugar by brautigan

Poetry(should come first but people are reluctant to read it)
    Ring of bone by Lew Welch
    Flowers of Evil by Baudelaire
    certain Frank O'Hara poems

By Waffleboy on Monday, June 21, 1999 - 03:50 pm:

ahhh another Brautigan fan!!!!!!!!

YEAH!!!

I just read , The Abortion Romance and I am currently reading trout fishing in america.

Check out Tokyo Montana Express also.

Sexus by Henry Miller
    Under the Roofs Of paris By Henry Miller
    Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre
    (play)Waiting for Godot-Samuel Beckett

By Rhiannon on Monday, June 21, 1999 - 08:08 pm:

AAAHHH!!! I looooovvvee "In Watermelon Sugar"! It is one of the neatest books I've ever read! It's so magical and fascinating and it transports me to another spiritual plane every time I pick it up. Is it a parable? Is it supposed to make sense? Who knows?! I love it.

My favorite chapter is when the narrator talks to the old man who lights the lanterns.

I've never met or spoken to anyone else who's read it. Tell us more about your thoughts!

By Cyst on Tuesday, June 22, 1999 - 07:38 am:

damien by herman hesse
    bluebeard by vonnegut
    catch 22
    another roadside attraction by tom robbins
    in watermelon sugar by brautigan
    Ring of bone by Lew Welch

the mention of these books takes me back to the late 1980s, when I worshipped my literature teachers.

mr. tunnell, the kind of wonderfully priggish man who deep in his heart really believed that all american teenagers should fully understand the gerund, was a hesse fanatic. I was a purist and believed that translated novels were worthless but spent time with the black-and-white covered siddhartha and beneath the wheel instead of their bee-colored cliff notes counterparts anyway. I remember preferring beneath the wheel to his less plot-driven post-psychotherapy work (siddhartha, narcissus and goldmund, etc.). and that was back when I felt I needed to excel in every class even though I thought the study of literature was a complete waste of time, so I was keenly sympathetic to the beneath the wheel scholar protagonist.

mr. tunnell was the one who, the day before we started work on lord of the flies, didn't show up for class and left us to our own devices, to see if we would stick each others' heads on stakes.

By Cyst on Tuesday, June 22, 1999 - 07:58 am:

my best friend in 11th grade had me read tom robbins (cowgirls, woodpecker). when I met him in a bookstore line a couple years later in seattle, I had him autograph a book for her. but her dog ate it.

his stuff was fun to read as a kid, but I bet it wouldn't age well. has he written anything since skinny legs and all or did he let the critics scare him off? he's cute enough, though. at 18 or 19 I wanted to ask him out but was afraid that even if he didn't reject me, which he would, I'd have to try to pose as a fan or something.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact