The best book...by far!

sorabji.com: Best book you've ever read: The best book...by far!
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).
By Brad Finlay on Thursday, July 23, 1998 - 01:58 pm:
    Pillars of the Earth by Ken Folett

By Orvel on Tuesday, August 4, 1998 - 07:28 pm:
    black ice by ed mcbain

By Dick Clark on Wednesday, August 5, 1998 - 01:09 pm:
    You May Already Be A Millionaire! by Ed McMahon

By Lanark on Sunday, December 27, 1998 - 08:21 am:

The Master and Margarita by Mikhial Bulgakov (in the translation by Mirra Ginsburg.) Part fantastical slapstick satire, part biblical epic and the most beautiful love story all woven together.

By Mel on Sunday, December 27, 1998 - 01:53 pm:

When I was in high school (in the mid-80's) a friend gave me The Master and Margarita to read, saying it was "the only book that really meant anything to me." His father was a professor of languages and had translated a lot of Russian novels, but not that one.

I read his copy and I loved it. I gave it back to him and then, after we graduated, lost touch with him. Not long ago I was in 1/2 Price Books, just browsing, and I came upon a copy of it, in the Mirra Ginsburg translation. It's been, what, 13 years since I'd read it? I bought it and brought it home. I'm reading it right now.

It's funny the little differences I keep seeing in the translation I'd read all those years ago and the one I'm reading now. I can even remember that chapter 6 ended with the sentence (more or less) "the sun rose inexorably on the poet Ryukhin." That sentence had resonated for me, and I was actually a little disappointed to see "bore down irresistibly...."

Still, it's a joy.

By Enfanta on Tuesday, December 29, 1998 - 09:16 am:

Has anyone read Dante's Inferno lately? I found a translation by 20 poets in the library and it has FASCINATED me. The canto of the suicides is heartbreaking. Why are there no women in hell? How many sins does it take to get to hell? Just one? Just one unforgiven one? Is it possible to understand the Inferno without knowledge of politics in Dante's time? How do you avenge a death without going to hell? Can you? And (just because I'm ranting now) is "tasked" a word? My boss uses that phrase all the time and it drives me nuts. "I tasked him to update the data base." Does this drive me nuts because I hate her, or because it's poor grammar or both? Is it poor grammar?

Hm. Better stop and take a breath now...

By Lol on Wednesday, May 12, 1999 - 08:56 am:

to Enfata:Using 'tasked as a verb seems rather super'silly'ous to me...your boss may have inferiority issues...just nod and take notes,,lol

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact