"Mason & Dixon" by Thomas Pynchon

sorabji.com: Best book you've ever read: "Mason & Dixon" by Thomas Pynchon
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Jon on Thursday, December 24, 1998 - 09:22 pm:

Pynchon is a luminous writter with a talent so enormous he can make something I have no interest in (like colonial America) completely engrossing. The book is about the famous surveying team creating the Mason/Dixon line in the 1770's, and is written in archaic english. The first 70 pages made my head hurt, but after I got into it the afectation added an element of color to the story and a sense of period that was unescapeable and cool. Plus Pynchon adds elements of pathos, surreal fantasy (one of the more important characters is a Mechanical Duck...who also happens to be French.), politics and spitituality. I really didn't want it to end. Simply put, it's a brain-fucker and highly recommended.

By Thomas Coalman on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 03:58 am:

hey who like's gravities raibow, for crying out loud how wierd is that book.
    THis guy is an absolute genius with word, you should all read the crying of lot 49, got to tell you that I love the ending.
    My poem on gravities rainbow.
    There's a time when all things murge together
    this honey of life
    this chocklate delight
    this evil and good
    and soldier's in battle
    It's about a V2 rocket.
    Gravities rainbow literally means the shadow of a V2 rocket
    By the way Michael Dirda from the Washington post rocks and my name is Thomas Coalman.
    If you would like to chat with me just leave your email in this section saying you would like to talk.
    Until next time get down little buddy and just shake it already.
    god you see this all the time, people are always buying stephen King books, it's a real shame, and I've got to tell you this.
    just trying to be as honest as I can be

By sarah on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 01:38 pm:

i thought the book was a hunk of shit. intolerable. i quit with only about 75 pages to the end.

By Nate on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 09:08 pm:

i think the book looks neat. i never made it past a few pages.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact