The Dark Tower series, Stephen King

sorabji.com: Best book you've ever read: The Dark Tower series, Stephen King
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Big kevin on Sunday, May 23, 1999 - 09:06 pm:

I know its not just one book but it is still one of the best peices of Fantasy/sci fi (some would say its one in the same, but I'm not sure) I've seen anywhere.

For those who don't know it, it is based loosely on a poem by Robert Browning (i think) called 'childe roland, to the dark tower come'. SK melds post apocoliptic nightmares, the old west, and countless other themes into one asskicking good tale. The series is now up to 5 books, and I heard from a friend, that he (SK) has pledged to finish the story in the next 2 or 3 books, within the next 4 years.

By Margret on Monday, May 24, 1999 - 01:01 am:

It was Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came.

I read this series anxiously. I keep hoping it will catch my imagination in an unexpected way. It doesn't. I am impressed that King is trying, and like it on a conceptual level, but think he does his best work in illuminating the fears and horrors we all carry in our souls. My fave thing he has written alone, bar nothing, is the Green Mile. Second fave is his recent "Bag of Bones," I guess third would be a toss up, but favour both Gerald's Game and the Shining. But his best work ever, part of the Dark Tower series sort of in my mind, is co-written with Peter Straub, the Talisman.

For SF I'm a Stephenson/Gibson/Sean Stewart kinda gal. Fantasy I like Pamela Dean, Robin McKinley, Patricia McKillip.

By Gee on Monday, May 24, 1999 - 05:39 am:

Since we're comparing King stories, I loved "Misery". It was the first book of his I ever read, and I was pretty young to be reading it at the time. I had to stay up all night sitting in the kitchen with no socks on (it was winter, and the kitchen was warmer than the living room. I remember missing my socks.) with my feet up on a chair to avoid the roaches that wanted to share my book with me. I can't believe the man drank his own urine. It scared the bajeezus outta me.

By Thomas coalman on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 03:53 am:

you see these people all the time, read Brett easton ellis and do yourself a favour.
    By the way my name is Thomas Coalman

By cyst on Monday, January 14, 2002 - 11:24 am:

friday I told a coworked I'd been reading "slouching towards bethlehem," and he said he had read it long ago. I told him that I was only on the first chapter but that the preface had already impressed me enormously.

I must tell you that one time at a big meeting when the speaker asked the room for help, my coworker was able to recite a UPC he happened to remember ("I liked the order of the digits; it had a rhythm"), but still, I think it's telling he was able to recall the last part of joan didion's introduction:

"My only advantage as a reporter is that I am so physically small, so tempermentally unobstrusive, and so neurotically inarticulate that people tend to forget that my presence runs counter to their best interests. And it always does. That is one last thing to remember: writers are always selling somebody out."

she's given her permission!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact